Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers Showcasing Andy LaRoche?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/dodgers-showcas.html

According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the Dodgers may be looking to trade Andy LaRoche for 3rd base/shortstop help. Do you think a deal could be put together involving Bill Hall? Possibly sending some relief help back as well? I know LaRoche hasn't lived up to his potential at the major league level in his limited opportunity, but the guy could be a rock at 3rd base for us in the future and has the potential of a 30 HR, .400 OBP kind of guy, IMO. If he's not ready to contribute this year in the playoff push, we could always bring up Joe Dillon to face lefties in a platoon with Branyan.

Right now they're trying to put the best team possible together for a playoff run. LaRoche would not be an upgrade at 3rd base for 2008, so right now it makes little sense. Hall/Branyan > Dillon Branyan

I doubt we will see the Brewers do anything to mess with the chemistry of this years team. Hall is hitting again and is by all accounts very popular among his teammates.

The only move Melvin may still make is for a reliever. George Sherill's name has been mentioned recently in media reports as a possibility.

We have all seen what Bill Hall can do when he gets hot.

Lets hope he has it figured out now.

Hall is hitting again and is by all accounts very popular among his teammates.

I think this is an important point. I guess Hall is really good friends with CC and CC has said Hall, Fielder, and Sheets were friends before he got traded.

Fair enough with the points on team chemistry and needing the surer thing for the playoff push, but I'd still prefer LaRoche to Hall after the season. If he's still available, maybe an offseason move would make sense. Then again, maybe the Dodgers aren't willing to deal LaRoche in the offseason.

I don't think the Dodgers would do it.

But if they would I would definitely go for it.

Billy Hall has 3 years and 20 million left after this season

Andy LaRoche has 3 years of pre arby and 3 years of arby left after this season.

I know clubhouse is important but if LA would do it, I would have to do it.

A top Prospect and shaving $19 million of salary for a player quite a few wanted to get rid of just a month ago. You have to do that, right?

This trade makes no sense during or the offseason. If LaRoche comes to Brew Town the Dodgers would ahve to add something to make this trade happen. I'm dont like Bill Hall but he sure is better than LaRoche who can not stay healthy and sure has not lived up to his minor clippings.

It would theoretically free up enough money to make a good qualifying offer to Ben Sheets, while also allowing at least next year for Mat Gamel to figure out his defense at AAA. I would think the reason Bill is playing so much right now is because we're trying to showcase him ourselves, and if a team believes he can put up a 25-30HR (full-season) line from the shortstop position, then I think they should sell.

Off season, it may make a lot of sense. Not today.

After this season, I think Hall and Hardy/Weeks will be shopped heavily, without a doubt.

There is no way that Weeks will be shopped this offseason!!! Everyone needs to get that through their heads!!! I'm pretty sure the front office is banking on him tapping into his ridiculous potential and won't be willing to sell short on the former 2nd overall pick in the draft. Hall and Hardy are completely different stories!!!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There is no way that Weeks will be shopped this offseason!!! Everyone needs to get that through their heads!!! I'm pretty sure the front office is banking on him tapping into his ridiculous potential and won't be willing to sell short on the former 2nd overall pick in the draft. Hall and Hardy are completely different stories!!!

I think that if someone is of the opinion that Rickie Weeks may be traded this offseason, that's a pretty valid opinion, even if you don't agree with it. Valid enough that if someone holds it they shouldn't be told to "get that through their heads!!!"

And, please save some exclamation marks for the rest of us. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

From Keep Brewerfan.net Beautiful

2) Posting threads with subject lines like this!!!!!!

In our FAQ we ask that people avoid excessive punctuation. If one person adds two !!'s to their thread, and some adds three !!!'s, it becomes a raise to whose subject line is the loudest. I would hope that when someone posts a thread, it's well thought out and worth of people's attention. Unless it's something like "Brewers win the world series!!!!", it's just a thread. It's best just to avoid yelling in the subject lines completely.

Thanks!

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I would agree that one of Hardy/Weeks will be shopped. The question is whether they think Escobar will be ready to play Opening Day 2009. If they think he will be, I think whoever brings the most back in a trade will be the one to go. If he isn't, I think they keep Hardy and pick up a stopgap 2nd baseman until Escobar is ready to take over at SS, then they move JJ to 2nd. Of course, if they think JJ won't take to 2nd without complaining, I would guess he'd be the one to go.

As for LaRoche, I'd be very interested in getting him. I think he's been a bit overrated as a prospect (I don't see him as a future star) but I think he should provide above average production at 3rd for cheap. Then again, his results this year haven't been encouraging (in AAA or the majors) and I'm not sure how good his defense is. It would depend on who the Dodgers wanted for him, but I like the idea in general.

I like LaRoche too and think he'd be a nice player to target as the third baseman of the foreseeable future.

As far as Escobar, he's still pretty young, and his bat isn't lighting the world on fire. I wouldn't mind him spending most or all of next season at AAA.

As far as Escobar, he's still pretty young, and his bat isn't lighting the world on fire. I wouldn't mind him spending most or all of next season at AAA.

Agreed. There is no sense in rushing him up to the major leagues. We don't have some "glaring hole" that he would fix. He would be a slight upgrade, IMO, and not worth bring up until he seems most comforatable. TBH, I would rather we keep JJ than Rickie (if we HAD to trade one). He just seems like one of the steady guys that every team needs. He is serviceable at the plate and good in the field. I think he brings extra versatility that Rickie doesn't have because of his sub-par defense (though it has been better lately).

LaRoche has done nothing in the major leagues. Hall sure has his ups and downs, but in a lot of ways, he's still a big part of this Brewer team. It would take more than an underachieving mid 20's prospect for me.
Sharp post. I agree completely. Andy LaRoche is just a "name" because he had a Rated Rookie or something on his rookie card. So did Andy Marte. I haven't seen LaRoche do squat in any of the games in which I've watched him play.

Archived