Brewer Fanatic

Umpiring Crew for the Cardinals Series - Update: Dodgers Series (Reply #63)

jhart05
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back. That's a nice stadium by the way.

What a crazy game. When Braun was walking up to the plate, I said to my sister, "I feel something special is going to happen here". Then sure enough. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Cards catcher was yelling a few things at Braun after he hit it. Something like "Get the 'f-bomb' going you SOB". I forget what Todd said exactly.

Did you notice where Todd was standing when Braun touched home plate? They don't usually stand there after a home run. He did that on purpose in case the Cards catcher did or said anything else.

He said they were notified about the incident from last year. So they were watching for any bad blood.

The Cardinals announcers and newspaper didn't like Todd either. But his crew chief, who was at second last night said he did fine, so did the other two umps. And he said those guys will tell you when you stink.

He was just wiped out after the game. He knew he missed a couple calls. After the Braun HR, he was going to call the next pitch on Prince a strike no matter what, well within reason of course. He did that so they wouldn't end up just beaning him.

They kept him on, and he's going with that crew up to Detroit now. Then he's going to Pittsburgh after that. He's hoping he can stay with that crew last night thou, because after Detroit, they're going to Boston. Or was it the Pittsburgh crew that goes to Boston after that? I forget.

Man, I need a nap now.

Congratulations to your cousin Todd! He was solid last night, and certainly better than some of the 'tenured' umpires we've seen this season. What a huge night for him! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Cards catcher was yelling a few things at Braun after he hit it. Something like "Get the 'f-bomb' going you SOB". I forget what Todd said exactly.

Sounds like he felt a bit differently about what Braun did compared to what Hall did. Getting the smack-down for the fourth game in a row might have colored the perception there a bit, though.

Did you notice where Todd was standing when Braun touched home plate?

No -- I didn't. Maybe that was because I was jumping up & down, running around my apartment hooting & hollering. Where was he standing?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Regarding the ejection from Wednesday night...I didn't get to talk to that ump, but Todd said, Yost just said too many cuss words at that guy. He told him that was enough, but Yost continued and then came out of the dugout. So, that was that.

Did you notice where Todd was standing when Braun touched home plate?

No -- I didn't. Maybe that was because I was jumping up & down, running around my apartment hooting & hollering. Where was he standing?

Basically in the left batters box, looking right at LaRue.

Here's a good story...

There was an older Cards fan sitting one row in front of us. Probably in his late 60's/early 70's or so, the hard-ass type of guy, you know. Well there was a group of four Brewer fans who were not doing anything too bad. Just cheering for the Brewers, loudly yes, but not sticking it in any Cards fan faces. The hard-ass Cards fan yells over to them, "you're not getting out of the stadium alive". When they left, the hard-ass and his family walked right past us. The son said we were okay but those other Brewer fans were, out of hand or something like that. I said, "well every team has those kinds of fans, it goes both ways". OMG, I thought the old man was going to have a heart attack or punch me. Huffing and puffing, you know what I mean. I didn't say anything, but I wanted to say, "you don't think so? Well instead of sitting down here in your expensive seats, try going up to the cheap seats once and then tell me you don't have those kinds of fans."

The worst fans are the ones who wear the gear of a team not even playing in the game. A hat is fine. A modest shirt is fine. But when I saw a guy wearing a Brewers jersey and cap at the Dbacks/Cubs game, I threw up a little in my mouth.

I said, "well every team has those kinds of fans, it goes both ways". OMG, I thought the old man was going to have a heart attack or punch me. Huffing and puffing, you know what I mean.

Well said. I really would've liked to have seen his silent rage & lack of anything to say.

Thanks for all the input, both your cousin's and your own. Glad the Brewers treated you to a spectacular win!

I didn't see it, but earlier in the game my sister said he flipped off that group of 4 Brewer fans.

Another time he was yelling some stuff, and my 25-year old sister told him, "Calm down! It's just a game!"

Then, oh man, I almost forgot, this group of four scruffy, "Fargo-style funny-looking" Cards fans, probably in their late 30's or so, sit in front of us at about the 6th inning.

So one of the guys stood up about an inning or so later, and what do I get right in front of my face? Well, let's just say the guy needs to invest in a belt or buy pants that fit him. It was hilarious. The 80-year old group sitting in back of us, taps me on the shoulder and says something like, "please don't think all Cards fans are like that." I just said, "we got 'em in Milwaukee also, it's all the same."

Calling a pitch that is not a strike a strike in a one run game to avoid a possible situation may be the weakest excuse I've heard yet.

Make the correct call and shut up. Worrying about a brawl instead of getting the call right...that would be cause for termination for me. It's borderline game fixing.

I looked at it again. It was borderline. Maybe a little high, but not too bad. Maybe I could have explained it better.

I mean if it was in the dirt he wouldn't call it a strike. Had to at least be close.

The worst fans are the ones who wear the gear of a team not even playing in the game. A hat is fine. A modest shirt is fine. But when I saw a guy wearing a Brewers jersey and cap at the Dbacks/Cubs game, I threw up a little in my mouth.

this just starts to make up for the number of knobs who wear their cubs gear to MP.

I have long maintained since my time living in St. Louis that their fans aren't all they're cracked up to be. Knowledgeable? Yes, for the most part. But there are equally as many pain in the you know what fans as there are in any other city in the league.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just found out my cousin will be doing the Brewers-Dodgers series over the weekend. Wish I could fly out there for it, but no chance.

Then he'll be in Chicago next week for the Reds-Cubs, Tuesday thru Thursday.

Might try to go to one of those games, but he said tickets will be hard to come by.

Well just found out my cousin will be doing the Brewers-Dodgers series over the weekend. Wish I could fly out there for it, but no chance.

Then he'll be in Chicago next week for the Reds-Cubs, Tuesday thru Thursday.

Might try to go to one of those games, but he said tickets will be hard to come by.

Will he be behind the plate at all? His strike zone in the Cards game wasn't very consistent...

He's not even a Brewer fan, although a lot our family lives all over Wisconsin. He grew up and still lives in Kansas.

He was a Royals fan growing up. Not sure if he even follows one team anymore. Doesn't really have time to.

He's starting out at second base tonight. So, first base tomorrow, then he gets the dish on Sunday.

He's been up in the majors since that Cardinals series.

Well, if the Brewers lose Sunday's game by a close margin, I will be blaming your cousin. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

He's not even a Brewer fan, although a lot our family lives all over Wisconsin. He grew up and still lives in Kansas.

He was a Royals fan growing up. Not sure if he even follows one team anymore. Doesn't really have time to.

Everyone has time to follow a team. Everyone.

Everyone has time to follow a team. Everyone.

Umpires in general have to detach themselves from current team affiliations. If they can't do that, they don't belong in the profession. Their loyalty is to each other and to the game itself not teams or individuals.

Maybe in the days where they were divided by leagues, a Bruce Froemming or a Dutch Rennert who were NL umps and Wisconsin natives could "follow" the Brewers to a certain extent (though both were adults before the Brewers came into existance), but not in these days of major league umps doing both leagues.

Even so, an umpire's schedule is so grueling that it's not about desire to follow a team as much as it is actual time to do so. Sure, you can check box scores a few nights, but I certainly have encountered the 'I don't even have time to follow the/my team' from people that work in baseball.

Even so, an umpire's schedule is so grueling that it's not about desire to follow a team as much as it is actual time to do so. Sure, you can check box scores a few nights, but I certainly have encountered the 'I don't even have time to follow the/my team' from people that work in baseball.

I'd venture to guess that about 80% of those people weren't being completely honest, for one reason or another. If you are in baseball, it's because you like baseball, whether it be the front office, an umpire, or working in concessions. Now certainly there are a few office girls who may not care two cents about baseball but have a nice administrative assistant job. However, with tivo today and MLB.tv, etc Sheethead is right, "Everybody has a team".

Archived