Brewer Fanatic

Umpiring Crew for the Cardinals Series - Update: Dodgers Series (Reply #63)

jhart05

What I hope to see is the disk he will get after his game behind the plate.

The newer parks have this electronic umpire system, I forget what it's actually called. Miller Park has one, I assume Busch does as well.

But he will get a disk of the entire game after he is done. It will chart every pitch for him and tell him if he called the pitches correctly.

If I get to see it, I'll post the results.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think it has anything to do with the camera angle they have in St. Louis?

With the camera being right in back of the pitcher, you can see if it's inside or outside a lot better, than having to make that slight adjustment for the "regular" camera angle that's off to the side.

Just a thought.

i was watching last night and i swear the batters boxes looked crooked. maybe this is part of the same sight line.

the thing you are talking about is QuesTec i belive

just found this. it is wikipedia so its accuracy may be subject, but busch is not on the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Stadiums_using_QuesTec

I thought I heard it was in all stadiums now, so I'm not sure if that is accurate at all.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The QuesTec thing costs a lot of money I guess, but most of the newer stadiums usually have it.

Not quite all of them do yet.

I just assumed Busch would, since it is a newer stadium.

That would suck if they don't, I was looking forward to checking that out.

Yeah, my cousin is going to be behind the plate tomorrow, for Sheeter, he was at First Base tonight.

I hope Ben has his good curve ball tomorrow for him.

If I get to meet that Ed Rapuano (tonight's home plate) I'll ask him about the Yost ejection.

Ed Rapuano, small high strike zone. Interesting that Joe West was the guy's top rated umpire.

Joe West: Although I've tried to avoid casting judgment on the quality of umpires for now, Joe gets my top vote. He is very close to the league average in every direction, but doesn't give the pitch off the left side like most of the league. He also had the fewest number of extra balls and strikes (as opposed to having a bunch that cancel out), which is a sign of consistency.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've really liked cb bucknor this series. I thought he called a good game game 1 and if you notice when he's out in the field he hustles to get into good position and such.

I'm interesting to see how good this ump is tomorrow behind the plate.

I am sure the umpires union doesn't think kindly of suspensions, thus umpires probably feel like they can get away with anything. There are certain umpires that have a bigger Ego than Hank Steinbrenner, it is pretty darn annoying. People don't go to games to see umpires pick fights with players and coaches

If I get to meet that Ed Rapuano (tonight's home plate) I'll ask him about the Yost ejection.

If you get to meet whoever was at 3rd, ask them about Rapuano's call and what his call would have been had Rapuano bothered to ask him.

besides the horrible call on the check swing, i thought the balls and strikes were pretty good last night again. the entire series was called pretty good behind the plate so far.

Rapuano's been around a long time (since 1990). Last night he did the cardinal sin of umpiring. He made the call on the swing by Fielder and frankly when I saw it live I thought it was a swing too. But when Yost yelled something from the dugout, he starting back at Yost. "It's my call, I saw it blah, blah blah" in a tone that was awful. He shouldn't have said anything back to Yost other than maybe, "I saw it". Yost reacted to the tone Rapuano projected. Rapuano was clearly wrong and Joe West even knew it. West at first tried to keep Rapuano away from Yost.

west is the crew chief. it was good to see him step in and do that.

rapuano also was not backing down...almost egging ned on well after he was tossed. there was no need for him to follow yost back to the dugout.

I've really liked cb bucknor this series. I thought he called a good game game 1 and if you notice when he's out in the field he hustles to get into good position and such.

A shining example of great umpiring so far. Bucknor is the one guy I've seen this season that's stood out in a positive way.

If you get to meet whoever was at 3rd, ask them about Rapuano's call and what his call would have been had Rapuano bothered to ask him.

Good luck on that -- http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif Umps definitely tend to have each others' backs.

But when Yost yelled something from the dugout, he starting back at Yost. "It's my call, I saw it blah, blah blah" in a tone that was awful. He shouldn't have said anything back to Yost other than maybe, "I saw it".

Totally agree, JBriggs. Rapuano went too far with Yost, and you'd assume he was barking at Fielder too... just with the mask still on. Prince certainly said something (not much) to Rapuano before walking back to the dugout. I thought Ned's timing in this instance was correct. Imho West being in no rush to get Yost away from Rapuano spoke volumes.

rapuano also was not backing down...almost egging ned on well after he was tossed. there was no need for him to follow yost back to the dugout.

Incredibly unprofessional. I think 'almost' is being generous.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the strike zone has been pretty inconsistent. I have seen worse, I have seen better. I do like that he is getting help from the other umpires on check swings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This could be like Pro-Wrestling. The Ref is a ringer and we can job the Cards. I'm going after Pujols with a chair.

All we would need then is to acquire someone and have them walk in to Miller Park the same way Kevin Mench did.

Archived