Brewer Fanatic

Umpiring Crew for the Cardinals Series - Update: Dodgers Series (Reply #63)

jhart05

Well my cousin, Todd Tichenor, has been called up from AAA to ump the Brewers - Cardinals series this week.

He's been up quite a few times over the past couple of years, so he's not really a "rookie".

He'll be at 3B tonight, probably 2B tomorrow, 1B Wednesday, and behind the plate for Sheeter on Thursday.

Let me know what you think, especially on Thursday, that of course will be his big day.

Hopefully you won't notice him at all, which means he did a good job. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be there, sitting pretty close Thursday night. I'll try and get a few photos.

If you could send those to me, that would be cool. Thanks. Yeah, he should be behind the plate for that game. He's # 97.

I can't go. But some of my family is going down for tomorrow's game.

Any way to get in touch with Mr. Tichenor? Like every man i'm sure he has a price. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Emailed him today.

Gave him the Caddyshack, Rodney Dangerfield quote:

"Keep it fair, keep it fair."

Emailed him today.

Gave him the Caddyshack, Rodney Dangerfield quote:

"Keep it fair, keep it fair."

Fair? Well that just won't do. I'm sure he would like to make his cousin happy so a Brewers sweep is what he should do. Conspire with the other umpires for all I care. Making family happy is more important than baseball. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That's awesome jhart -- pass along congratulations (sure you've done so already). I hope the game on Thursday is fun to watch, and that the Brewers win big... that way if there are any questionable calls, it won't matter. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This has nothing to do with Tichenor, but I thought the home plate ump for the first game was very good. At first, his strike zone looked a little tight, but I realized it was because it was actually CORRECT, which is odd looking compared to some of the zones we've seen. The only pitch I thought was called wrong was the one Hall looked at for strike three. It was close, though.

interesting...since the plate ump is considered one of the worst in the league according to the players (cb bucknor)

the radio broadcast must not have had the update, since they did not announce him...but the box has him

The heck with it. I'm driving down for Thursday's game.

Sheeter's on the mound, my cousin's behind the plate, he can get me a sweet ticket, Crew may be playing for first place...how can I not?!?!?!?

Yep, I'm going.

My boss is a big baseball fan, (althou he's a ScRubs fan), he told me I should drive down there.

My sister is going to be at Wednesday and Thursday's game, so I'll just meet up with her Thursday.

I'm going!!!!

I'll be there, sitting pretty close Thursday night. I'll try and get a few photos.

So where are you sitting?

I won't know where I'm sitting 'till I get to will call.

I'm going thou.

interesting...since the plate ump is considered one of the worst in the league according to the players (cb bucknor)

the radio broadcast must not have had the update, since they did not announce him...but the box has him

Yeah, I believe it was Bucknor. He was African-American (I assume that narrows it down). He seemed to have a very strict interpretation of the strike zone. If a ball missed (most of the time) by even a hair, it was a ball. I'm sure the pitchers weren't thrilled, but Bucknor was calling it accurately. The ESPN crew questioned a bunch of close ones that he called balls, but whenever they put that K-zone overlay on the screen, it showed that they were, in fact, balls every time.

I didn't really notice the players giving him looks or questioning him.

I'm so used to umps calling things a half foot outside or an inch off the ground strikes that it made this ump look like he was squeezing the pitchers.

Very cool. If you don't mind me asking, how long has he been an umpire? What other levels has he been at? It's always interesting to me to hear about the background story and the struggle on the way up.

As an aside, I'd say the umpires did a solid job on Monday night. I didn't notice them at all, and I'd guess a Cardinals fan would say the same thing.

I believe this is his 10th year in baseball. He's a few years younger than me, I want to say he's 34.

Went to the umpire school. Started in rookie ball, worked his way up to AAA. He's on the short list of guys who may be called up the major's full time, just need a few more to retire.

He's been in the Pioneer League, South Atlantic League, Carolina League, Texas League. He's a crew chief in the Pacific Coast League now, and he's been up in the majors for at least 30 games already this year. He got to do the pre-season games here this year against the Royals.

Yeah, it's been a difficult journey to say the least, they don't get paid that much in the minors, he also does some lower level college basketball in the winter. But he's so close to the majors now, we're all pretty excited for him. Lot's of guys just give up eventually, but it's what he's always wanted to do.

I'm hopeing. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

When he was here for those Royals games, he was able to get us third row, right behind the plate.

But those were technically spring training games.

This has nothing to do with Tichenor, but I thought the home plate ump for the first game was very good. At first, his strike zone looked a little tight, but I realized it was because it was actually CORRECT, which is odd looking compared to some of the zones we've seen. The only pitch I thought was called wrong was the one Hall looked at for strike three. It was close, though.

I agree 100%, and was commenting on his zone during the chat. Bucknor was stellar last night. He was completely consistent save maybe that called strike 3, and the one fastball from Torres (iirc) later in the game just below the letters that he called ball 1. The response in the chat was complete & utter shock (anyone recall who was batting?). It was an awful call, but really the only one of the night that was any less than 'good.'

I boldfaced that section because it's exactly what I felt during the game. If that's what he's like consistently, CB Bucknor can ump my game any day of the week, and I'd keep him around even after the robot umps take over. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Do you think it has anything to do with the camera angle they have in St. Louis?

With the camera being right in back of the pitcher, you can see if it's inside or outside a lot better, than having to make that slight adjustment for the "regular" camera angle that's off to the side.

Just a thought.

I am so glad I have a cool, baseball fan boss. Even if he is a Cub fan.

I cannot wait to get down there for Thursday.

Could be going for the sweep and first place.

Unbelievable.

Thanks cousin. I love you man!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived