Brewer Fanatic

Madison Mallards version of Fear Factor

tristarscoop

Mallards fans eat beetles for free Duck Blind tickets (with photos)

The Capital Times - 7/18/2008 6:49 am

Would you eat a beetle for $30? Well, as many as 250 Madison Mallards fans did Thursday night.

The Mallards hosted Beetle Eating Night at the Duck Pond at Warner Park, in which the first 250 people to eat a dead beetle received a free ticket to the ballpark's all-you-can-eat-and-drink Duck Blind party deck -- a $30 value.

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/296765 for pictures

If I had the night off, I was going to do it.

Otherwise, $30 isn't so bad for all I can drink.

I never thought I'd get into the Mallards, but I've really enjoyed the handful of games I've attended.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Community Moderator

From what I heard, the bugs were cooked, not live. They apparently didn't taste that bad at all.

I've been to 4 Mallards games this year and I've always had a good time. The first time I ever went it was kind of a culture shock after only going to MLB games my while life. However, I quickly learned to appreciate that despite this being a collegiate league, the Mallards draw 6,000/game because they do virtually everything right. They had tons of promotions. They have ample entertainment between innings. They have an entertaining PA announcer. They have reasonable food and merchandise prices. And, of course, they usually win (2008 1st half south division champions).

Archived