Brewer Fanatic

Keys to the Cardinal series

Here's a few things I hope to see occur during the upcoming 4 game set against the Cardinals. If these things can be accomplished by the Brewers, I see a 2-2 series split at the very worst:

#1 - Unless walking him forces in the tying/winning run, the Brewers should give Pujols zero oppotunities to win the game with his bat...Pitch to him carefully with nobody on base, and take the bat out of his hands when situations call for it. The Cards have been getting some freakishly fortunate contributions from unexpected sources (see a walk-off grand slam by Aaron Miles), but force them to continue to rely on anyone other than Pujols.

#2 - Don't allow Yost to attempt to get into a game of cat'n'mouse with LaRussa - I can't count how many times in a key situation that LaRussa has a pinch hitter announced knowing full well that Yost will make a pitching change to match up with that hitter, only for LaRussa to burn that pinch hitter and bring in the guy he actually wanted to hit in that spot. I think Yost gets pitchout-happy against the Cardinals, which tends to put the pitchers in predictable counts, too.

#3 - Don't let Molina pick off any baserunners who aren't attempting to steal - make the Cardinal pitchers get 27 outs.

#4 - Have a quick hook mentality during both McClung's and Suppan's starts - Yost is going to have Bush and Villy available to give them plenty of innings out of the pen if either starter is struggling. With how bad the Cardinal bullpen is, don't let a game get away if the starter doesn't look like he's pitching well just to get 5 innings out of him.

#5 - Hide Mota's uniform from him for tonight's game, and DFA him to make room for Suppan prior to tomorrow's game. If Mota throws a single pitch in a game this series that's within 10 runs, it's one pitch too many, IMO.

Any other additions the rest of you would like to see over the next four games?

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

#1 - Unless walking him forces in the tying/winning run, the Brewers should give Pujols zero oppotunities to win the game with his bat...Pitch to him carefully with nobody on base, and take the bat out of his hands when situations call for it. The Cards have been getting some freakishly fortunate contributions from unexpected sources (see a walk-off grand slam by Aaron Miles), but force them to continue to rely on anyone other than Pujols.

I don't like this idea at all. I just checked and Pujols still gets himself out over half the time. He would get himself out a lot more if people would stop IBBing him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I pretty much agree with you on all counts.

1. Don't let Pujols beat us. If he gets pitched to as a go-ahead run or as the tying run late in the game, I may drive to St. Louis and hit Yost with my car.

2. Hopefully the games aren't close. I know we all LOVE LaRussa, but lets face the facts. If it gets into a managerial chess match, the nod goes to LaRussa by a longshot. Although, with Simmons next to Yost, the gap closes considerably.

3. This whole McClung on the road and Bush at home thing is a lousy idea. I've never been a huge fan of Dave Bush, but if you have to start one of them, pick the hot hand and go with Bush. If he's getting lit up, then bring in "McClung like a horse."

4. Mota should not be allowed in the stadium. Tell security he was traded and isn't allowed in the clubhouse. I'd rather have Gallardo out there pitching on one good leg than Mota out there doing his best imitation of Derrick Turnbow.

I have this phobia of the Cardinals that I can't explain. I fear them much more than the Cubs, mainly because they play better fundamental baseball. In a slugfest, we can hold our own. When it comes to needing to execute late in the game, that favors the Cards big time.

I think the Yost-LaRussa thing is huge. He's got a big time mental block when it comes to going against Tony. Now would be a nice time to get over that.

Good points FTC. As for #2, for once I would like to see Yost assume the role of the Cat pushing the mouse around, rather than vice versa. I think this series comes down to McClung and Suppan. If one of them can put up a quality start, I like our chances of at least splitting the series. 3 wins would be marvelous. 4 wins and I am going to Disneyland.

1. Don't let Pujols beat us.

I know that guy in the booth agrees with this sort of thinking..."can't let X beat you". But I just don't get it...why should I care if Pujols "beats us" or some other player does? I would not want to see him or anyone else put on base as the tying or go-ahead run.

I've got my Rock style keys to the game...

1) Don't give up runs.

2) Score more runs then them.

If we can do that, we'll win.

If you really want to go Rock-style, you need to come up with some dubious one or two word phrases that no one can decipher without you explaining them, like:

1. STAY LOW

2. FOUR STRAIGHT

3. 5-4

Then you would have to take up the first two at-bats of the inning explaining the keys to the game, which are really just obvious things like "don't make mistakes up in the zone against Pujols," "The Brewers are trying to win their 4th straight game after the All-Star Break," and "The Brewers are 5-4 against the Cardinals this year."

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If you really want to go Rock-style, you need to come up with some dubious one or two word phrases that no one can decipher without you explaining them, like:

1. STAY LOW

2. FOUR STRAIGHT

3. 5-4

You've done some writing for Bill, haven't you?

#4 -- quick hook on Suppan

I'll be very interested to see how Suppan comes back. Prior to his meltdown that led to a DL stint, he had been pretty good all year. If he truly had someting wrong with that caused the dl stint, then we can probably expect him to come back pretty strong. If not, we have a three pitcher controversy for the last two spots in the rotation. And if we want to limit Parra's innings it could be four guys for three spots.

I agree with the quick on Suppan and McClung though. If things go as expected, we should be able to rest the pen in the last two games of the series. We can use 'em all in the first two.

1. Don't let Pujols beat us.
I know that guy in the booth agrees with this sort of thinking..."can't let X beat you". But I just don't get it...why should I care if Pujols "beats us" or some other player does? I would not want to see him or anyone else put on base as the tying or go-ahead run.

Sure any player can beat you at any given time but the odds of Pujols ruining our chance to win is much higher than say Rick Ankiel. The odds of getting anyone on the roster other than Pujols out in a crucial situation IMO is far greater than trying to get Albert out in a crucial situation. If Pujols is up with a man on 2nd and/or 3rd anytime from the 7th inning on I walk him without even blinking an eye.

Basically, just don't overthink it - do the things you would typically do. Read the splits - if Durham is a better match for their pitcher - use him, and vice versa. If one of their pitchers has owned one of our outfielders, give Kapler a start, etc.

Other than that, for example, if it's a spot where you wouldn't typically bunt...then don't, just play your game, and give yourselves the best chance to win.

Coming up for St Louis:

This series with Milwaukee.

A road trip to New York and Atlanta.

Home for the Phillies and Dodgers.

On the road to Chicago, Florida, and Cincinnati.

All of that, with one off-day, between the Phillies and Dodgers.

I would call that a rough stretch, and I do think it puts some heat on the Cardinals, starting right now, they've got a tough month to deal with.

Here are the results so far with tonights game still to come:

1) Pujols has been pitched to and we haven't paid the price.

2) Yost has made some questionable moves like using Mota in a close game and batting Torres with a runner on 2nd and 1 out in the 10th inning, but luckily they didn't cost in us any of the games

3) Weeks got picked off last night.

4) McClung and Suppan were left in the game despite poor 1st innings.

5) Mota did indeed pitch and he pitched effectively for 1 inning.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it doesn't look those were really the "keys" to the series. I don't mean to pick on you because I probably would have said a lot of the same stuff. The moral of the story is that baseball is a funny game.

Archived