Brewer Fanatic

Looking for a stat

All knowing stat gurus, can you help me?

I am looking for how much as a whole BA drops as a pinch hitter vs. being in the line up (i am assuming it has to)

Look for a statement such as "As a whole, MLB players bat .___ better while in the line up vs. pinch hitting"

I know I've seen stats on here before that showed that PHers hit at a lower rate than starters, but the question is, do PHers hit at a lower clip because PHing is harder, or because players that are PHing aren't starting for a reason (being that they just aren't as good as starters).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?lg=ML&team=TOT&year=2008

This year PH have hit .223 with a .646 OPS so far this season. All batters combined have hit .261 with a .742 OPS.

That is an imperfect study as the PH data is included in the overall and because PH obviously face harder pitching overall most likely, not to mention PH are generally worse hitters since they are bench guys.

Archived