Brewer Fanatic

Wood probably to the DL... Latest: On DL, retroactive to 7/14 (reply #31)

ELCABALLO45
'Tendonitis' seems to turn into Tommy John surgery quite a bit where this guy is concerned.

Actually - once - unless you count the 2005 knee surgery as TJ.Plenty of sore shoulders, elbows, and knees but only 1 TJ.

From Wikipedia:

During Spring Training of 1999, Wood underwent Tommy John surgery to repair damage to the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. He missed the entire season to rehab from the surgery.

cubfan1126 wrote:

Actually - once - unless you count the 2005 knee surgery as TJ.Plenty of sore shoulders, elbows, and knees but only 1 TJ.

Thank you Captain Literal. Does sarcasm really need to be in blue for people to realize its sarcasm?

General Manager Jim Hendry continues to explore the market for trades, evaluating Oakland right-hander Huston Street and Colorado lefty Brian Fuentes, among others. But the guy apparently getting the most immediate consideration is Jeff Samardzija, the former Notre Dame receiver who is pitching well as a starter for Triple-A Iowa.

OK by me. Let's see what he can do.

According to multiple sources, Wood is indeed headed to the DL with a "chronic blister problem"

trying to figure out how it could be chronic, when he hasn't pitched for close to a month...maybe it has something to do with other activities not related to baseball - possibly incorporating a hot tub again

Their bullpen is in sad shape right now. Last night if DeRosa didn't make that diving-laid out catch in rightfield with the bases loaded in the 8th inning, the bases would have cleared and it could have been 6-5. Then Marmol found it exciting to pretty much walk the bases loaded in the next inning. It was tough flipping back on fourth on the MLB Xtra Innings package watching the Cubs game when Braun was jacking another Brewer late-inning homerun in the left field bleachers.

I think they need Wood back. I wonder if Lou broke Marmol running him out there in 19-5 Cub wins.

I still don't know how a blister can last this long. Sheets always talked about the stuff the Brewers training staff would give him for blisters and it would be healed relatively quickly. The way this is going I am not sure it is a guarantee that he will pitch in the Brewers series. And with Marmol's command still horrible, it makes the Brewers job a little easier.

Their bullpen is in sad shape right now. Last night if DeRosa didn't make that diving-laid out catch in rightfield with the bases loaded in the 8th inning, the bases would have cleared and it could have been 6-5.

That was an incredible play! I don't know how one can describe it & do it justice with words, but that was a great AB by Luis Gonzalez, who fouled off 3 or 4 2-2 pitches until he got one to mash, and he did so. A screamer into the RC gap, and DeRosa had equal parts leap into the air + full-extension dive at a full-speed run.

DeRosa has been having a tremendous season. He's really impressed me (not that that means a whole lot). His versatility, coupled with being solid to good defensively, is just a huge asset for the Cubs. I'd like to hear cubfan1126 weigh in on Mark.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Oh, good point -- forgot to mention that Marmol threw 38 pitches last night. 38! And Cra-Z threw 125 to get through 7 innings. Piniella is treating their best arms like garbage. I don't delight in knowing the strain under which he's putting his players & the huge risks he's taking in terms of getting them injured, but I do like knowing that there's just no way the Cubs' pitching staff is going to be fresh (or anywhere close) down the stretch.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

DeRosa has been having a tremendous season. He's really impressed me (not that that means a whole lot). His versatility, coupled with being solid to good defensively, is just a huge asset for the Cubs. I'd like to hear cubfan1126 weigh in on Mark.

About 205, a little less than me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ahem, when we picked him up last year, I thought, huh? Why? Now I know why. When Soriano went on the DL last year and again twice this year, DeRosa has been absolutely invaluable. The guy can play anywhere except pitch and even that wouldn't surprise me. Is he a gold glover. Not even close at any position but, like last night, he is capable of gold glove type plays at any position. Last night not only did he make that catch but he was immediately on his feet getting the ball back in to prevent a possible second run from scoring. Nor is he ever gonna win a silver Slugger award, but as with any good ballplayer he will never let a bad day in the field affect hi batting or vice-versa. I can't think of a utility player I'd rather have.

What are the odds of Wood coming off the DL on the 29th and actually being able to close in a game? He's been throwing changeups during some mound sessions, but I don't think he's ramped it up at all since the last time he was in a game. Isn't there probably going to be at least 1 rehab appearance in the minors? I don't see him being able to automatically start pitching like he was prior to developing the blister.

A fitting song for this would have to be "Linger" by the Cranberries, as they've let this whole situation linger for a little too long. If they would have DL'd him as soon as he had the problem, he'd be off the DL by now, wouldn't he? But they had to try try 80 different things, and none of them worked. I do wonder if they tried the Moises Alou approach....

Archived