Brewer Fanatic

Wood probably to the DL... Latest: On DL, retroactive to 7/14 (reply #31)

ELCABALLO45

I agree with TooLive, Marmol was so valuable as setup as Piniella used him at any time to put out a fire. Put him in the closer role where most games are decided already....hopefully we can get a lead off other relievers.

I imagine the Cubs placed him on the DL retroactively and his stay will be relatively short. They were already one man short for the entire Houston series, and when it looked like he wouldn't be able to pitch in another series, they decided to go ahead and put him on the DL. I think the Sun-Times said that Wood would be able to return Sunday against the Marlins -- just before the Cubs come into Milwaukee.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

One more sign that the apocalypse is coming for the Cubs. This is a small sign, but a sign nonetheless. They will fall, and they will fall hard. Muahahahahahahahahaha.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/devil.gif

Probably too insignificant an observation to focus on, but Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus recently wrote:

"I watched Carlos Zambrano at the All-Star Game, as well as in his first start back, and his arm slot really worries me, because it's down where it was just before he hit the DL."

His last start:

109 Pitches
6.1 IP
6 H
3 K
6 BB

The big Z may be dealing with a cranky shoulder - he's already been on the DL once this season, and missing a couple of starts isn't going to completely rejuvenate him if there's something fatigued/strained in his arm. Couple that with Wood's blister and the DL time bomb that is Rich Harden and the Cubs' pitching depth may be taking a serious hit during the 2nd half of the season.

Ideally, the Cubs will have all their bullets the rest of the way and chalk up another century* of failure to the absolute hatred that baseball's gods have for them and their odious fans. But if it takes blisters, boils or plagues of locusts, I'm for anything that hoists the "L" flag above the wretched franchise.

*Why hasn't anyone incorporated the Cubs' "C" into something celebrating a "C"entury-long miscarriage? I'm just not a graphics guy, or I'd do it myself.

"I watched Carlos Zambrano at the All-Star Game, as well as in his first start back, and his arm slot really worries me, because it's down where it was just before he hit the DL."

I didn't see either, but anyone know what his velocity has been? With 6BB, I assume his control wasn't good, but was he throwing his usual velocity?

his velocity was fine, but his command/control definitely wasn't. the change in his arm slot could very well have nothing to do with any sort of shoulder ailment, but it could be that he doesn't feel comfortable getting on top of the ball with that shoulder. Dropping the arm angle takes stress off the shoulder, and while pitchers are able to replicate velocity from the lower arm angle, it does start adding extra stress on the elbow, and takes alot of the vertical movement of sinkers and sliders away.

I love Marmol as the closer. Before there was the threat that he could come in at anytime and shut down a rally. Now we can rally away until the 9th inning.

Completely agree -- I hope this is what happens, but I suspect Lou may try Howry in the 9th instead.

Any time I hear about a Cubs pitcher going on the DL I think of this article. And to put a sour note on all of this injury talk, I'm sure they are just waiting for one of our pitchers to take his annual sabatical to the DL.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

New treatment might help Wood avoid disabled list
The team is hoping that a new regimen of treatment and its well-rested pitching staff will allow Wood to take a couple of days to heal, try throwing again Wednesday and be available to pitch later this week, according to Chicago-area media reports. If not, he could still head to the DL, with a return to the active roster as early as Sunday.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The past several years the Cubs organization has conditioned me to be very skeptical about injury news regarding Kerry Wood. I have to say this blister thing has me scratching my head just a little. The guy is a relief pitcher first of all. How on earth is he developing a blister pitcing an inning or less every coupe days and throwing 15-20 pitches. Not saying it isn't possible, I just find it a bit odd. He has also suppsedly been bothered by this for now about 4 weeks.

I don't know. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin. Wouldn't the first time the Cubs were somewhat less than forthcoming about Wood's condition. 'Tendonitis' seems to turn into Tommy John surgery quite a bit where this guy is concerned.

Wood may not have been officially placed on the DL, but he mightaswell be - Hasn't pitched in a game since July 11, and appears to not be available until later this weekend, if at all.

They've been able to avoid moving him to the DL due to their post ASB struggles and lack of save opportunities - the starters have been able to keep the bullpen relatively fresh, even though they're a man short on the active pitching staff with Wood shelved. Howry's been scuffling, and Marmol would have let the tying run come to the plate last night if Paul Tracy would've left his bat in the dugout and taken the walk that Marmol appeared to be trying to give him. Rumors are swirling that the Cubs are looking to add another reliever before the deadline, too.

Cubs have to be hoping that the blister heals enough to have him available for the Brewer series - not sure how effective he'd be with not having thrown any fastballs/sliders in 3.5 weeks though.

Archived