Brewer Fanatic

7/21/08 Brewers (McClung) at Cardinals (Pineiro): 6:05 CDT

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team just refuses to loose right now.

Are we seeing a little of the "we're going for it" mentality from the Crew Kids?

The CC Factor?

Those stat guys can keep telling us Sabathia only adds two wins all they want. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Very impressive recovery by the Brew Crew. This one goes a long way towards building confidence.

Nice to see Gagne and Mota look good.

BREWERS WIN !!!!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AJAY_02/BrewersFlag3.gif

Yes. you are right.. however.. I still argue that if the Brewers don't make the playoffs it is will be Weeks as the reason.. if he hits .280 and plays average defense they win 100 games.

Really? An increase of ~ ten wins? Insightful stuff.

Well first of all with him at .215 and below average defense I believe they are a 93 win team.. Russ says 91-92 in his blog but I am slightly more positive. So now you add in an extra .65 points (over 600 at bats that is 39 times he is on base which is approximately 20 wins) not to mention whatever extra runs he hits in and the extra at bats for the rest of the team and you are at around 25 runs. Now if he is average on defense that is another 5 - 10 runs so is 30-35 runs worth 7 wins? I think so.. but again your response was insightful stuff as well.

Wild Card leaders! Winning road trip!

Huge to win the McClung game with Sheets and Sabathia coming later in the series.

There's still two more games... enough for the Cards to re-take the Wild Card lead.

Let's win `em both, then celebrate.

Is Villy the starter tomorrow? Let's hope we get to find out..

Have you heard this anywhere??

Sorry I typed closer and submitted and got an error so I quickly re-typed incorrectly.. . meant to say closer.. my bad.

Excellent job by Yost tonight. Used Mota and Gagne in fairly low leverage situations (have the lead, facing the bottom of the order, 6th and 7th innings). Had a lefty warming up in case it got to Ankiel. Also, starting Hall and Weeks against a righty, as they were the offensive heros tonight.

Also, anyone asking for Counsell as a defensive replacement for Weeks, I'd have to strongly disagree with. If you are going to use him, put him at third. Both plays to Rickie in the 9th were very difficult plays.

Both plays to Rickie in the 9th were very difficult plays.

Yeesh...I'll grant you they weren't easy plays, but very difficult plays? Sorry, I can't go along with that. He should certainly have made at least one, if not both of them.

My personal goal was for the Brewers to win at least 1 of the first 2 games, so this win sure felt good to me. It's a longshot that the Brewers losing both of the final two games of this series (maybe 15%?), so a 3-1 series is looking like a pretty reasonable hope right aim right now.

Trowekamp... I think in general 10 runs = 1 win. I'm of the opinion the number is a little closer to 9, but I think Russ would tell you it's 10.

I would tell you that it's only a rule of thumb. You want to use 11 or 9 and depending on the run environment, you might be right.

And as for what Weeks is worth.... He's been a below average player but he has not cost the Brewers 10 wins. 10 wins is HUGE number in baseball.

I am very happy I was able to witness the Bizarro Brewers, as it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity:

1) Mota pitches a scoreless 6th in a one-run game.

2) Gagne pitches a scoreless 7th in a one-run game.

3) Torres blows a save.

4) Torres bats in the 10th (and hits the crap out of the ball, although it was caught).

5) McClung gets a nice hit to extend a rally.

6) Kendall has multiple extra-base hits.

7) Hall rakes against righties.

8) Hall steals second on Molina.

9) Braun goes 0-6 on a night where the rest of the team gets 16 hits.

10) The home plate umpire was GOOD.

11) Nobody on the Brewers swung at bad pitches.

-3, -5 -2, -3 -1, -1 0, 1 1, 3
-4, -5 -3, -3 -2, -1 -1, 1 0, 3
-5, -5 -4, -3 -3, -1 -2, 1 -1, 3
-6, -5 -5, -3 -4, -1 -3, 1 -2, 3
-7, -5 -6, -3 -5, -1 -4, 1 -3, 3

That is how I look at it. We are currently a cumulative -4 in the standings. Playing 4 games on the road, even if we drop an extra game back (in some combination) it is not bad (orange). All of the blues and greens bring us closer, while the reds take us further away. The purples would all be fairly disastrous.

Well, we have eliminated all of the purples from the chart, and we are down to 5 poor outcomes out of 20 possible. If Cubs lose tonight...Randy Johnson 2-hitter thru 7...we eliminate 2 more. That would leave 7 greens out of 16, c'mon D-backs!

There's still two more games... enough for the Cards to re-take the Wild Card lead.

Let's win `em both, then celebrate.

There's actually three more games left. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived