Brewer Fanatic

7/21/08 Brewers (McClung) at Cardinals (Pineiro): 6:05 CDT

Thought I would get this going early!

TV: FSN/ESPN

Radio: 620 WTMJ (Brewers Radio Network)

Seth McClung (5-5, 4.16 ERA) vs Joel Pineiro (3-4, 4.52 ERA)

Probably the biggest series of the season at this point. Hopefully big Seth gets it off to a good start. I am going to pray that ESPN is not blacked out so I can enjoy this game in HD.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ESPN will be blacked out.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/broadcasts/national.jsp

Yeah, it really sucks, especially since FSN isn't broadcasting the game in HD.

Awful news, even if FSN was having the game in HD, us Charter subscribers don't get it until the end of next month. Darn this stinks. HAve to settle for regualr FSN with Bill and Brian, blah.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I am completely over last year's meltdown in St. Louis in late July.

If I keep telling myself this, I might believe it by the time tomorrow's game starts. Please, all I ask is to split this series. Getting a win tomorrow would do a lot to ease the nerves.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm not. I was on vacation and got text updates from my brother constantly for all three games. You can imagine how demoralzing that was, especially the first one. I also got text updates during the A-Ram walk off at Wrigley from him while I was at work. "Big first inning!"..."Gallardo pitching well!"..."Turnbow 1-2-3 in the 8th"...long pause....still no response..."A-Ram walk off." Terrible way to follow a game.

Must win!

Seriously though. The next 11 games (8 of them in particular) are pretty huge. 2-9, 3-8, 4-7 would be tough to recover from.

I'm cautiously optimistic though that this may be the stretch that could put the crew in "if the regular season ended today..." territory to never look back.

Next two games are pretty big imo. Gotta split the next two with CC and Sheets coming up. Could really be on to something if we can get some production from McClung and Suppan.

I echo the sentiments here. Not a "must win" by any means, but a win tonight would be huge with Ben and CC still left to pitch in the series. Tomorrow is the only pitching matchup which clearly favors St. Louis. I definitely would be perfectly content with a split in the series, but I have visions of series wins against St. Louis and Chicago dancing in my head.

I wish the game wasn't on ESPN, though. I never feel comfortable when the Brewers are on ESPN. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just found out that they called up my cousin from AAA to ump this series.

His name is Todd Tichenor. He'll be at 3B tonight, probably 2B tomorrow, 1B Wednesday, and behind the plate for Thursday.

Have to send him a quick email to make sure he knows how big this series is for both teams.

Tell him to make sure he gets his butt down the line so we don't have any missed home run calls. And that I don't want to see him on Sports Center making a bad call against our Crew.

"Keep it fair, keep it fair."

After the next 4 games, the standings will reflect 1 of 25 different outcomes. (one of five possible MIL - STL series outcomes X one of five possible Cubs win totals)

Worst case scenario is trailing the Cubs by 7 and the Card by 5.

Best case scenario is leading the division (Cubs) by 1 and the Cards by 3.

What's interesting (to me at least), is that out of the 25 outcomes:

11 would make us decidedly worse off

5 have us still 3 games back of somebody (but maybe in 2nd place)

9 are awesome improvements

What am I supposed to do? Work in the middle of my Crew fever? Man, September (hell, August) could see some record low productivity outta me.

What's interesting (to me at least), is that out of the 25 outcomes:
11 would make us decidedly worse off
5 have us still 3 games back of somebody (but maybe in 2nd place)
9 are awesome improvements

I assume the 9 awesome improvements are combinations which require 4 wins (5 possibilities) or 3-1 in favor of the crew (5 more). Wouldn't a 2-2 split, with the Cubs getting swept be an awesome improvement as well? Only 1 combination with the Brewers winning just 1 game would be even slightly helpful...Cubs getting swept, so the 11 poor outcomes is not surprising.

A split works for me. Even if the Cubs somehow swept the D-backs, we remain very close to the Cards while eating into their dwindling home games. A 3-1 result in our favor would be phenomenal regardless of what the Cubs do too. So I see 12 great outcomes: any 4-0, any 3-1, and 2-2 splits with the Cubs taking 1 or 0 in Arizona. 1 outcome that is neutral but fairly positive: 2-2 split with a 2-2 split in the desert. 2 fairly neutral: 2-2 split, Cubs win 3-1 or 1-3 with Cubs getting swept. 10 that are very poor: any 0-4, 1-3 w/o Cubs getting swept, 2-2 while Cubs sweep.

If we assume that the sweeps are very unlikely we end up with 5 good outcomes, one neutral, and three poor.

Going to tonight's game and am very nervous about it. The only crew win I have seen here in StL was two year ago when the Cards lost but clinched the division anyway. I'm sitting in the bleachers for the first time so I hope that changes my mojo.

good gumdrops, the trusty ol cut & paste can deliver the goods:

here are the 25 number pairs I came up with, considering we are currently (-3, -1) = (GB Cubs, GB Cards);

across the top L-R is the series (0, 1, 2, 3, 4) wins, and down the side T-B is Cubs win (0, 1, 2, 3, 4)

-3, -5 -2, -3 -1, -1 0, 1 1, 3
-4, -5 -3, -3 -2, -1 -1, 1 0, 3
-5, -5 -4, -3 -3, -1 -2, 1 -1, 3
-6, -5 -5, -3 -4, -1 -3, 1 -2, 3
-7, -5 -6, -3 -5, -1 -4, 1 -3, 3

It's a rather subjective exercise as to what is defines awesomeness.

Archived