Brewer Fanatic

The Barbeque Thread. (Smoker I Made)

brewerjamie15

Two years ago, I built a smoker. I use it to BBQ stuff right here at home. I have a lot to learn yet, and a lot of things to try, but things are going pretty well so far.

I built the smoker out of a sterilized 55 gallon drum and added a fire box. I reinforced the inside with angle iron and used non-galvanized grating as the cooking surface. I put a small hole in the top of the grill so I can hang a temperature probe inside the smoking chamber.

In the past, I would experience temperature fluctuations as much as 50 degrees near the fire box. I repaired that today by using sheet metal screws to fasten a cookie sheet inside the smoke chamger as a heat baffle. It seems to be working quite well. The repair I made has created a small problem in getting heat inside the chamber to over 240 degrees (around 250 is best), so I had to monitor the fire a bite more than usual today. This problem will be worked out with a slightly larger fire than I am used to using.

I have used the smoker quite a few times for ribs, brisket, salmon, and beef ribs.

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJ0GqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoPJ%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

While the Fire was getting going and I was getting wood and stuff, I made a snack for lunch

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJGoqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoPo%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

On to the RIBS! These are Baby Back Ribs. 4 racks, all with a custom dry rub I created. (pictured before smoking)

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJGlqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoPl%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

The metal you see hanging down in the picture above would be: a temperature probe, and 2 hooks to hang sausages.

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJeJqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPeo%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

After about 2 hours in the smoking chamber at around 250 degrees (I used apple wood), the ribs were wrapped in foil in a bath of beer for moisture. You can clearly see all the smoke.

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJeeqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoQn%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

About 1 hour after the ribs went to foil, which is commonly called a Texas Crutch, the ribs were pulled out and sauced.

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJaPqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoPa%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeePJnQqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPeP%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

Ribs are done, and ready to be taken upstairs TO EAT! Look at the picture closely. The pink that you see is caused by the smoke. Called the "Smoke Ring".

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPooxQ00xaaGxv8uOc5xQQQlJaoeelPn0qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoPa%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I wish I had the time and desire to smoke some barbecue. I actually went the other direction and bought a big gas grill this weekend. Yeah, it ain't the same as charcoal, but when you have 4 hours a night from the time you get home until bedtime, you find yourself never grilling at all, and gas with a tin of wet hickory chips still beats the pants off of an oven.

jeepers, four racks of ribs? What army are you feeding? Reminds me of Thanksgiving when my mom makes WAY too much mashed potatoes.

Looked good though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Pick n Save has pork shoulder on a semi-sale this week ($1.29/lb, can sometimes get it for $1/lb). The meat in the case is usually cut too small (2-4lbs) but if you 8lb full shoulder from the back if they have some or they'll hold one for you from the next shipment. You buy that and then you can make some real BBQ.

EDIT: If you do this, check the fat cap and if its on the thin side be prepared to augment it with some bacon.

The ribs were on sale, so I grabbed a rack for the in-laws and also took some to work to share.

Anyone know of a real good barbecue web site? (lessons, talk, etc.)

Jamie, I've been barbecuing for a while on a Weber Smokey Mountin Cooker (vertical smoker w/water pan) and probably the best site I've found for exactly what you're looking for is www.bbqu.net. It's the website of Steven Raichlen who had a PBS cooking show. His written some great books, but there is loads of info on that site as well as a killer discussion board where you can get all the bbq tips and talk you can handle.

I'm still waiting to see a slab of ribs in the grocery store that is comparable in size to the ones that Fred Flintstone gets a the drive-in on the old cartoon show. Mmmm, those look good.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I set up my weber charcoal grill for smoking and it makes outstanding ribs, pork butts, chickens, etc. I had a dedicated smoker, some cheap-o brand, but it never seemed to hold heat well and was a pain in the butt to clean. I get better results with my old charcoal grill.

This is going to be a neat thread.

The smoker that I built needs some tweaking. It is not a big time pro model by any means, but I still like the thing.

I decided to build it when a neighbor built his. He had an extra 55 gallon drum, so I took advantage of it.

I worked at a small hardware store when the drum became available which made other things work out well.

I ordered all the angle iron and the grated metal and only paid cost.

I found an old garden cart and attached the drum to it. That idea worked out well and has the added feature of a drop down shelf and storage space.

I mounted the cart on legs and added coasters.

The entire project cost me (after adding the fire box) about $100.00

I've seen smokers that size online for around around a grand..

If any of you in the Milwaukee area want to use it for measurements, or need help, lemmie know.

I thought about starting a smoking thread for a while. I've done it for about 15 years but lately I've changed some of my ideas from the conventional methods. I rarely ever smoke at above 150 now. It eliminates that little bit of metallic flavor that can happen if you smoke at too high a temperature for too long. I always wanted more smoke flavor than I could get in 4 hours and doing it onger meant dry meat or some of the bad smoke flavor creeps in. My friends didn't notice but I sure did. It also allows the meat to remain very juicy without having to wrap it. Takes about 8-12 hours smoking time to do it that way but once you try it it's hard to go back. I still do steaks at 250 for 1/2 - 1 hour then finish them on the grill.

If anyone is interested in finding a very nice selection of wood that is very reliable without bark check out this site. http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?home

One other tip that I learned from the encyclopedia of food and cooking is never allow meat fat to drip onto natural coals while cooking. It causes a chemical reaction with the coals that creates harmful carcinogens. The book gave the example of an average size steak having the equivalent of 15 cigarettes on it. That chemical process only occurs when the meat fat hits natural coals. If anyone wants to know the actual process I can probably write down the actual reaction with all the technical names and such but suffice it to say use a drip pan.

I have been looking for a way to keep the chicken skin more tender and crispy so if anyone has any tips on that It would be appreciated. My chicken always turns out well except the skin looks great but tastes like smoked leather.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 4 months later...
I'm not quite sure I'll be able to get at the smoked salmon for tomorrow. There is so much snow drifted around the back yard, I only see about half of the smoker and am guessing it'll be about an hour to dig it out so I can get at the thing.

Archived