Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham a Brewer, Dillon to AAA

How can one even project when the system does not even know what games the guy will be starting in let along playing along with pinch hitting? If this guy was a pure genius, he would be working the economy.

I don't think you've even bothered reading anything about the projections. All they are is a weighted average of prior year's stats, regressed and adjusted for age. That's it. Any attempt at measuring the talent of a player should start with that. Fans like to start with current season stats, which is a bad foundation. And even if a projection system magically knew every player's true skill level, they would still look very innacurate because of sample error. I don't know how many times this has to be said but no one claims that they are a crystal ball. Not even close.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I don't think there is any tool that can accurately tell you how Durham will do the next 2 months. Maybe he gets cold and hits .200 maybe he gets hot and hits .400 or maybe he gets hurt tonight and is out for the season. Who knows. Those projections are just interesting to the extent that you can compare what they say now to what it looks like at the end of the season. For me anyway they have no meaning beyond that. I certainly don't feel that they're telling me anything right now. They're just a fun toy to me. Some of you are taking it way too seriously.

Nate McLouth can look like Albert Pujols for 2 months too, doesn't mean I'd start him over Pujols.

Nobody thinks they can predict baseball stats 100% because to be honest baseball is a very random sport in general. The stats are there to try to show where the true talent level is and to look past the randomness.

I suppose this is more Weeks related, but it was said because of this trade, so I'm going for it. I know Ned fervently defends his guys, but this just did not come out well:

"He's going to get better," Yost said. "But he's never been a .300 hitter, ever. So who says he's underachieving? He is working his way up there. He's getting better in all phases of his game. For me, he has never underachieved because he has never achieved up here [in the Majors]."

"Those projections are just interesting to the extent that you can compare what they say now to what it looks like at the end of the season. For me anyway they have no meaning beyond that. I certainly don't feel that they're telling me anything right now. They're just a fun toy to me. Some of you are taking it way too seriously."

They tell you more than just looking at the current season's stats, which is why I brought them up in the first place.

On this matter, your knowledge is lacking. Marcel is not a person:
Ah. That makes sense. I was thinking Marcel was a human being. Talk about true objectivity
I'll bet you 5 bf.net dollars that he does better than those projections though for the fun of it.

What makes you think I want the under?
I was hoping I'd get a free 5 dollars. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Weeks did reach base 7 out of 15 times in the Giants series. Not too bad considering the three young and talented starters that he faced.

Since July 6, Rickie's OBP is .404. He's warming.

Archived