Brewer Fanatic

Ray Durham a Brewer, Dillon to AAA

Any word regarding whether or not SF will be on the hook for any of Durham's remaining contract? While it's clear that the Brewers have the prospects to add a RP still, there's gotta be a point where Mark A draws the line with the payroll....isn't there? Hopefully there's enough left in the war chest for one more move.

There was speculation here, but I don't think anything official has been said yet. The team was open about wanting a LH bat and another arm. I don't think they would be that public if they didn't have the cash to back it up. I'm sure they are looking for a bullpen arm and will make the move they think helps the most without costing too much.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, according to TH, the Giants are on the hook for about half of the remaining 3mil while the Brewers also pick up the 200K trade clause Durham had in his contract. Happy to see the Brewers won't have to pay everything and hopefully have something left for one more move. Dillon officially sent down as well. Go Crew!

Thanks for linking the TH blog, HY, good info. There's really only two reasonable options for Suppan to come back right? DFA Mota or send down Stetter again? I think most of us agree that Mota should go, but the team may think they can save Mota and want to send down Stetter while they work with Mota on his mechanics.

This is a good trade...durham is a useful big league player who hits lefty and ford and hammond are no big loss...

will durham qualify as a B free agent? offering him arby might not be a bad idea if he finishes strong

While looking for other articles about the trade, I found this gem: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/FantasySourceFastball/160119

It reads: "The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel acquired Ray Durham from the Giants on Sunday for minor league prospects."

Dang... I knew the MJS owns a lot of things in Milwaukee... but they are now acquiring Major League second basemen? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Spectacular trade! The good news?

1) Ray-Ray (sorry, that's what they always called him in Chicago) could have vetoed the deal, but didn't, so it's not like we're picking up a "devastated" Junior Spivey.

2) Ford and Hammond were not especially valuable nuggets.

3) Durham has a .396 OBP this season, and is batting .294. Rickie's way behind that.

4) As others have mentioned up the thread, he destroys the Cubs and Cardinals.

5) StL and Chicago have very few LHPs in their rotation, so I can't wait to sic Ray on them, soon!

6) Dillon can't pinch-hit, anyway.

7) The Giants are picking up 1/2 the remainder of his salary (about $1.5 million from them, the same from us), so he's not even expensive.

The bad news:

1) Durham's 36.

2) He's also a rent-a-player, whose deal ends soon.

3) Ned will probably try to STILL give his struggling guy every chance to play. Doug brought in Branyan, but Ned had a tough time accepting that his guy, Wes Helms, needed to play less often now. I suspect the same will happen again. Hope I'm wrong.

4) I half-expected us to land Jack Taschner, too. And maybe JT was part of a more lucrative deal for SF, but after we smacked him around a bit the other night, maybe DM hoped the price would drop, and maybe it didn't, so he passed on the chance to expand the trade.

5) Now the Cubs will probably counter this move by sending a couple of their half-asses like Ronny Cedeno and Felix Pie to Florida for Hanley Ramirez.

Overall, though, the plusses outweigh the minuses here, by quite a bit. I honestly think that, if it's a straight platoon at 2B, with Weeks facing LHPs only, we have a solid leadoff slot for the first time in quite a while...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I cant see why anyone wouldnt like this trade. Weeks is terrible and personally, I am beginning to think more and more that he isnt going to turn out to be anything more than average or below. Durham is having a nice season and even though he is 36, it is still a contract year for him. Weeks needs a fire light under him. Face the facts here people, .218 batting average along with a .320 OBP isnt cutting it from the leadoff spot.

I would also like to point out that the Brewers are last in the league for offensive production from 2nd base.

Wow, when you look at "similar batters through age 35," you get Alan Trammell, Ryne Sandberg, Craig Biggio, Barry Larkin, and Joe Morgan. Nice players, all.

(Just parenthetically, does anyone remember Morgan finishing out his career in Houston, Philly, SF, and Oakland? I missed that completely in the early 1980's.)

Wow, when you look at "similar batters through age 35," you get Alan Trammell, Ryne Sandberg, Craig Biggio, Barry Larkin, and Joe Morgan. Nice players, all.

That is pretty good company. This deal is a short term kidn of deal and it should work great for this year. I love it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

4) As others have mentioned up the thread, he destroys the Cubs and Cardinals.

Imho it's unrealistic expectations to think he'll continue to play as far over his head as he already has against these clubs. Besides, does he do a scouting report on laundry? Players have changed over the years.

6) Dillon can't pinch-hit, anyway.

He's actually got a good approach for a PH. The .350 OPB this season & .390 from 2007 are indicators, but what I like is his compact stroke. I really wish Dillon could stay with the team, but he's a valuable insurance chip in Triple-A now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just parenthetically, does anyone remember Morgan finishing out his career in Houston, Philly, SF, and Oakland? I missed that completely in the early 1980's

Yeah -- I sure do -- He played with a good Astros team, and then he played with the "wheeze" (as opposed to the "whiz") kids 1983 Phillies -- which were included former Reds, Rose and Perez. He had a great year for the Giants as well (for an old guy).

He was a really great player.

I was watching Darren Ford a bit this season as I hoped he'd do well and move up in the system. After watching him a bit, I don't think we gave up much to get someone who can contribute to the big league team here and now. I like the trade.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

It's a good move, don't give up much, and if he leaves next year they will probably get some kind of draft pick back.

High OBP guy, solid veteran backup, insurance if Weeks gets hurt or just plan stinks it up.

Melvin's not done yet. The pen will be addressed as well.

Updated Marcel Projections:

Durham: .259 / .335 / .412 / .747

Weeks: .247 / .353 / .409 / .762

The fans' opinion of their defense:

http://www.tangotiger.net/scouting/pos2007_2B.html

Both Weeks and Durham are at the bottom of the barrel, although Weeks holds a slight advantage. And considering Weeks is a decade younger than the other, I think it's fair to say that the gap has probably widened a bit more this year.

I'm sure there are many who would scoff at that projection for Durham. Basically, it comes down to

1. Whether you think what a batter did 4+ years ago tells you anything about his future expected performance

2. Whether a season's worth of stats can and should be ignored if it is clearly an outlier to the rest of the seasons. Marcels says no on both counts. Unless I was 100% certain that a player was playing extremely hurt for an entire season, I wouldn't even think of removing an entire season from his projection.

As a pinch batter and a once and awhile starter, I have no problem with this trade. If Durham is going to start getting majority of the starts at 2B, I think it's the wrong move. If the Brewers really believe that Weeks isn't going to get out of his funk this year, they should have just given Counsell all the starts against righties. At least you get the benefit of a huge defensive upgrade.

This is one of those quiet moves that CAN pay big dividends. It might not be anything other than meh, but then again what if he gives a super hot 2 weeks near the end of the season ala Branyan or Kaplar. An excellent move Dougie! P.S. It might light a fire under Rickie.

BA was going on and on about how Yost reaffirmed Weeks as the starter. I hope that's the case, because I don't think it's realistic to expect Durham to keep playing over his head.

That said, he's a nice player to have for sure, they didn't give up much for him and they only are paying half his salary. If he's used properly (start against tough righties, pinch hitting option ahead of Counsell) it's a solid addition.

My biased like towards Steve Hammond made me against this deal at first, but it was a long shot for him to even be in our rotation next year and I don't think he had much upside. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about Hammond. Losing Ford doesn't bother me because we have a good amount of OF prospects. After thinking about the deal, I think I like it.

Best Case Scenario:

Weeks gets his head out of his you know what and starts to produce, while Durham comes off the bench and has some clutch hits at the end of games against Kerry Wood and Carlos Marmol.

Tbadder wrote:

It might light a fire under Rickie.

I am not trying to single you out as others have said the same thing is this thread and others, but I don't buy this at all. That would be implying Weeks hasn't been trying his hardest all year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I can totally see your point Logan. I just remember him being sent down last year and coming up red hot. Maybe the same type of thing happens. I do agree. He is a high effort guy generally, but maybe (and this is supposition) it'll allow him to focus better. just speculating.

Archived