Brewer Fanatic

07/31/2006 Brewers (Capuano) @ Rockies (Cook) 8:05pm CST

JoeH33

Milwaukee Brewers

Chris Capuano - (10-6, 3.74)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/cappy2.jpg

Capuano's Splits vs. Colorado

Capuano had one of his worst starts of the season on Wednesday against the Pirates. In five innings, he allowed six runs on 11 hits, threw two wild pitches and allowed two home runs. It was only the fourth start all season that Capuano did not record a "quality start" of six or more innings and three or fewer earned runs. (MLB.com)

@

Colorado Rockies

Aaron Cook - (6-9, 3.88)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/JoeH33/cook.jpg

Cook's Splits vs. Milwaukee

Cook didn't have his best stuff, but it wouldn't have mattered. He again received almost no support from his offense, picking up his ninth loss of the year after giving up four runs in 6 2/3 innings. The Cardinals had eight hits off Cook including a Jim Edmonds homer, but Cook settled down and didn't allow a run in his final three innings. The Rockies have lost 11 of Cook's past 12 starts. (MLB.com)

General Information

TV - FSN North

Radio - AM 620 WTMJ

Online - MLB.com GameDay, ESPN.com GameCast

Game Information

MLB.com Preview

Colorado Rockies Message Board

Colorado Rockies Official Site

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Cappy will be on his game tonight and Cook won't own us too hard.

If I remember correctly, Cook has taken us to the woodshed a couple times in his career.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Brewers fans should be in abundance at Coors Field this week, or so past history suggests.

It seems Coors Field has not been has not been as popular of a hitter's haven this season, and we know that Cappy can pitch well there (2-0 victory there last August, driving in the only two runs himself).

If the past few series are any indication, we'll inevitably lose one game in heartbreaking fashion, win a close one, and get blown out in one. I'll pick tonight for the heartbreaking loss, tomorrow for the close win, and Wednesday for the blowout. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Sheets never pitches well in Colorado. So I don't mind not seeing him pitch here. It's really nice having five good pitchers in your rotation as opposed to three. I feel pretty confident with our starter (maybe not so much Davis) each and every game.

If the past few series are any indication, we'll inevitably lose one game in heartbreaking fashion, win a close one, and get blown out in one. I'll pick tonight for the heartbreaking loss, tomorrow for the close win, and Wednesday for the blowout.

Lets hope not but I definitely see your logic.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just an FYI....

Colorado is not the home run hitting Utopia it used to be. They've been putting the balls in a humidor which tends to dampen the effect of the high altitude. The are 9th in HR when looking at Park Factor. Maybe a stat head can expand on that.

Park Factors 2006

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Milwaukee Colorado --------- -------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- CF Clark, Brady 2 21 .294 2B Carroll, Jamey 4 27 .316 2B Graffanino, Tony 0 0 .294 SS Barmes, Clint 7 51 .235 1B Fielder, Prince 19 54 .290 3B Atkins, Garrett 14 69 .314 LF Mench, Kevin 1 5 .500 LF Holliday, Matt 19 63 .323 RF Jenkins, Geoff 9 53 .257 1B Helton, Todd 11 50 .288 3B Bell, David 6 34 .275 C Torrealba, Yorvit 4 29 .262 SS Hall, Bill 24 58 .273 RF Gonzalez, Luis 2 11 .240 C Miller, Damian 6 33 .256 CF Freeman, Choo 1 13 .278 P Capuano, Chris (10-6, 3.74) P Cook, Aaron (6-9, 3.88)

It will be interesting to see whether the new-look Brewers can play better on the road. I am very curious to see what happens.

EDIT: I am also surprised Cirllio is not getting a start since he had a few days off.

As much as I hate to admit it, because I was a big proponent of wanting to see him get traded today to some Mexican League team for a baker's dozen of chorizos.....I have a feeling that Geoff Jenkins breaks out a little bit tonight....2-4 with an HR, 2 RBI and 2 runs scored.

Don't worry though, he will be back to being the same old Jenkins by this time tomorrow.

I never realized that Coors was such a big park 'til i looked at the gameday visual. I don't like the idea of a "humidor". It just doesn't seem right.

The other thing... I don't see how anyone could say that this is a "very winnable" series. What do you base that on? I believe they have the same record as us, if not one game either way. They have hitters, they finally have some pitching, and they are at home. Also, they are in the middle of a fight for a division title.

We look at a series like this and say, "We need to sweep it to get back in it." I am certain that is exactly what everyone in Colorado is saying as well. This team is still in it, more so than us because of their division, and they aren't going to bend over for anyone.

This isn't going to be easy, but here's to a good, hard fought series. Let's go in there and steal 2 of 3 and if the sweep is there, we'll take that too.

Quote:
Colorado is not the home run hitting Utopia it used to be. They've been putting the balls in a humidor which tends to dampen the effect of the high altitude. The are 9th in HR when looking at Park Factor. Maybe a stat head can expand on that.

It has to be Global Warming!

I am really looking forward to this series, I think it will be a highly entertaining one.

I think part of it is Helton's declining power, and a total lack of power from anyone else on the team other than Holliday. Once guys like Tulo and Stewart make it up there, I'd guess you'll see HR back up where they were within 2 years or so.

I think the number of HR hit there was blown out of proportion a little. Teams that have Helton, Walker, Bichette, Burks, Galarraga, etc. are going to mash a pretty fair amount of HRs. It is a pretty extreme hitter's environment, but the idea that every fly ball is going out is wrong.

Archived