Brewer Fanatic

At what point should the Cubs and their fans get nervous?

dnnn......dnnn. Dnnnn.....DNNNN. DNNN..DNNN.DNNN.DNNN.DNNN. The music from Jaws. That's what they should play over the Wrigley sound system. The Cubs have the toughest remaining schedule (just like the Brewers did last year). They are nervous. That said, I think an injury will determine the outcome. Gotta admit, the Brewers look GRRRR-eat. (Tony the Tiger commenting on Frosted Flakes.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care how cub fans feel. As long as they stay on their side of the state line, everything will be fine.

If you do happen to see one, tell them to get ready, because these Brewer kids are coming to kick their team's ass. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Theriot comes back to earth
I'm not picking on you since I've seen comments like this all over the sight, but I just don't see him slowing down. He's now in his second MLB season playing like this (although he did fall off in the second half last year). He's 28 years old, so young-pup nerves aren't going to get to him. His minor league numbers were absolutely nothing special, but he obviously has the talent in the big leagues. Maybe he is one of those overachieving, get under your fingernails, scrappy players that goes all out in the majors because he doesn't want to get sent back down type of players.

I hope he does fall back down to earth. But what does that mean? .280 rather than .320? That's still better than what we've got. Heck, in 2006 his OPS was .934 so maybe last year was the abberation. I like the guy and I'd love to have a guy like that on our team. Kind of like Bill Hall in the super-utility role a few years back. I bet alot of the league (especially Cincinnati) hated Hall a couple of years ago like many do with Theriot.

Maybe it's because I'm a small overachieving kind of guy, too. I had to go out and definitely earn every AB, putout, stolen base, you name it when I played and go all out doing it because I couldn't hang with the "bigger" boys on the baseball team. They could play the game relaxed, I had to go max effort. The David Ecksteins, Craig Counsells, and Ryan Theriots of the baseball world--I relate to them. I know what they are going through.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I hope he does fall back down to earth. But what does that mean? .280 rather than .320? That's still better than what we've got. Heck, in 2006 his OPS was .934 so maybe last year was the abberation. I like the guy and I'd love to have a guy like that on our team. Kind of like Bill Hall in the super-utility role a few years back. I bet alot of the league (especially Cincinnati) hated Hall a couple of years ago like many do with Theriot.
Theriot batting .280 is not better than what we have. Hardy's numbers are much better than Theriot's if Theriot's average starts to fall. Hardy has good power, and as a SS a much better arm.

Theriot batting .280 is not better than what we have. Hardy's numbers are much better than Theriot's if Theriot's average starts to fall. Hardy has good power, and as a SS a much better arm.

Oops, you know what, I was using that to compare to Weeks, since I tend to view Theriot more as a second baseman than a shortstop, but I guess he's only played SS this season so there you go. However, take away JJ's hot streak and Theriot is better. But I can see your side of the argument. I still like Theriot as a player--not as a Cub, however.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would say about early June. Once they solidified a lead in the Central over STL they started to become nervous. The Brewers were 10.5 out in June and are now 3 out in mid-july. Plus the Brewers have just acquired CC Sabathia.

The Cubs are really nervous. There is a good chance they will win the division still, but there is also a decent chance that they miss the playoffs completely. Which i'm sure no one here would mind.

Oh and as far as Lineups go- The brewers have a lineup that I'd think pitchers would fear more.

Braun/Fielder/Hart... plus pretty much everyone can take you deep.

As far as rotations go. The brewers have the better Starting Ro (No one can match Sheets+CC --- Webb/Haren doesn't even match them)... but the Pen definitely swings toward the Cubs.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the Cards than the Cubs...we don't HAVE to overtake the Cubs, but if we don't overtake the Cardinals at some point, we have zero chance of making the playoffs. I expected them to be way worse than they've been this year. I give La Russa and his players credit for being so competitive this season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

if we don't overtake the Cardinals at some point, we have zero chance of making the playoffs

not exactly true. Cards could go on a tear and win the division, and the scrubs could fall on their faces, and the Brewers would make the playoffs.

I am actually rooting for the Crew, of course, then the Cards to make the Playoffs.

I'd rather see the Cards in, than the ScRubs.

I think this is going right down to the last week of the season, with all three teams still in it.

Community Moderator

I'm always nervous about the teams below us. Last year, that was everyone, but this year, I find myself very concerned with the Mets and Phillies.

As the managers always say, you can only worry about yourself, but as a fan, it's difficult not to be concerned with what other teams are doing.

we just really need to rip off a 12 or 13 game win streak. Or win 5 out of every 6 games for about a month. Then I won't have to be nervous at all (mostly) about the season.

This Brewers/Cards series and next week's series with the Cubs will really shed some light on this Brewers club, as well as the other two teams and where they stand.

- - - - - - - - -

I really don't want the Cardinals in the playoffs. That is not good team and if they can make the playoffs it means Baseball has hit the same level of 'parity' as football IE any crappy team with a few lucky breaks can make the playoffs because they give the weaker teams all the advantages. That just isn't good for sports.

I really don't want the Cardinals in the playoffs. That is not good team and if they can make the playoffs it means Baseball has hit the same level of 'parity' as football IE any crappy team with a few lucky breaks can make the playoffs because they give the weaker teams all the advantages. That just isn't good for sports.

What about as a Brewer fan?

But I really don't think there is much parity in baseball, I think all thats happening as of late is the New York Yankees management got incredibly stupid, and some of the smaller market teams have gotten very smart. Ask a Pirates fan, or Royals fan, or even someone on this board what they think of parity in baseball.

The ironic thing in this sense is that the Yankees finally got smart on player development v. trading prospects for old vets. Cashman has finally been allowed to run the team as he sees fit, & I'll always think of the Sheffield trade as day one of that 'era'
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This Brewers/Cards series and next week's series with the Cubs will really shed some light on this Brewers club, as well as the other two teams and where they stand.

Maybe...but what if they split both series?

Archived