Brewer Fanatic

Advice from BF Net Teachers

UtilityInfielder

Hey, I don't post on here often (I usually read but don't post, I'm not huge into fan boards) but I wanted to reach out to all the teachers at bf.net for some adivce. I am a graduate of UW-Madison's teacher education program in high school/middle school Social Studies, I graduated in December and got a semester long contracted teaching job in January with the Green Bay school district. That job was filled by a regular contract employee and I got the ugly axe. I wanted to know if any teachers on bf.net have any advice on how to find a teaching job? Is there something special that I should be showing school districts in my application? I've already put in over a 100 applications this summer and have only gotten 3 interviews (2 for jobs that are less than 50%). Even though I've only had a little bit of experience, I think (and have heard from administrators, students, and parents) that I am a very good teacher and I love teaching, I really can't see myself doing anything else (besides my dream job of playing 1st base for the Brewers). This has led to a very frustrating and depressing summer for me as I sift through rejection letters while working 3 part time jobs to make ends meet. I thank you for your time, consideration, and advice in advance.

Moose

Moose

I'm not a teacher, and this is somewhat off the beaten path...but I wonder if there isn't something else you are qualified in that would enhance your resume? It looks as if you like softball/baseball, so perhaps you should list that you may also be interested in coaching? It seems a lot of schools would be looking for individuals who could serve those dual purposes.

Also, if you ever did any mentoring (Big Brother Big Sister etc), i'd imagine that'd look good. Or doing work with YMCA or Boys and Girls Brigade. Anything that interacts with kids, especially in the grade levels you are looking at. For the meantime, you may also be able to get some kind of part time teaching gig at a college, especially a tech school teaching gen eds. If you're still in Green Bay, check out ITT Tech and see if they have any openings for gen ed teachers (I go there).

well, I know many of my classmates in college brown-nosed their profs big-time and it helped them land good cushy jobs right out of school. I was not a brown-noser, so I sat unemployed for 2 years after college.

I'll tell you now, it is DARN hard to get a job fresh out of college in the midwest as a teacher. They are always looking for experienced teachers (unless you were a brown-noser, or know a principal/administrator first hand that can get you into their district.) And they don't want experienced teachers who are just anybody--they want the cream of the crop.

My advice to you is be open to leaving the midwest, probably for a couple of years, if you want any chance to get a job in the midwest. My problem was that I stayed here too long before looking to go back to WI. My roots were pretty deep in the desert soil by the time my wife and I started looking for jobs up there, and now it is next to impossible because we'd go so deep into debt (wouldn't likely sell our house very easily) not to mention that our job situation has grown into probably the perfect situation for us. We doubt that we could do better--except for pay.

Be prepared to not make much money out of the midwest, though. Because they pay very poorly in many states (Arizona, ahem, especially--but it's getting better. Luckily, cost of living isn't that bad here.)

If I could do it all over again, I'd be prepared to make serious plans with my wife (she was still just the girlfriend back then) to move back to Wisconsin when I was only here for 2-3 years and she 5-6 years. It's too late now, I think. Unless some district would hire us, pay our moving expenses, plus give us raises compared to what we're making now.

Good luck! There are other teachers here. I hope they contribute. I plum reckon my wife will at some time.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My wife went thru the same things. She graduated in December 2005 and has had one long-term semester long sub job between then and Sept 2007. In Sept she was hired at 75% time last year (bumped to 85%) this year. She had a lot of the same things happen to her that happened to you (lots of applications, not many interviews).

Between the time she graduated from school until she got her job last September, she subbed like crazy. I think she subbed in 8-10 different school districts. That not only looks great on a resume but it gives you a lot of practical experience you can take into an interview. My wife's had much better interviews as she has gotten more experience. If you can afford to live subbing, its a lot better for your future than taking another job outside teaching.

The other piece of advice is to take any teaching job you can get if you can afford it, even if it's 50%. Not only are you gaining experience, but most job openings are posted internally first, and if they are not filled then they are posted for everyone. That gives you a much better chance at a job than you might otherwise have if you weren't working for that school or district.

Good luck, and hang in there best you can. Once you get that first break, things will probably snowball from there.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

My advice to you is be open to leaving the midwest, probably for a couple of years, if you want any chance to get a job in the midwest.

I can't speak from personal experience as it relates to teaching in the public schools, but, from what I know, pitchleague's advice above is right on the money.

Chris's wife here. I actually got a 70% job, driving 72 miles one way, in November 2007, not September. They did increase it to 85% with the guarantee of 100% in 09-10. But I am willing to pay horrendous gas prices in order to get the experience I need to get a job closer to home.

I think your field is one of the issues. There are a lot of Social Studies teachers/wannabe teachers in Wisconsin. I did graduate in December 2005 from Viterbo in La Crosse and there were the 2nd most in Education majors (following elementary ed). I am a Business Ed teacher. I was the only graduate that December and only one other Business Ed graduate in the spring. Then not another for two years. My problem was there weren't a ton of openings and where there were openings they were looking for "seasoned" teachers. Not just someone with some experience, they wanted someone with several years of experience.

I subbed for 2 years and typically I was subbing at least 3 days a week. I could have easily put in 5 days a week, but figured I would do 3-4 and spend the remaining times checking out ads and networking with others who were actually teaching in the area. I was almost making as much subbing as I did this past school year with the contract. And if you can get to where you are subbing for the same teachers over and over, they will make a great reference for you when you are applying for permanent positions.

I do agree with what Chris said. If you get a shot at a job, even at 50%, take it. The experience can't hurt and schools will look at your resume and see you are dedicated to the teaching profession and want you to at least interview. For me I am not willing or able to relocate, so the jobs are limited. I don't believe you need to move out of the state to work, however if you are close to the state lines around Wisconsin, it wouldn't hurt to check into applying for a license for that state. If I hadn't found the job in November, I would have applied for a Minnesota license this year to be eligible to teach there as well. If you are willing to move anywhere in the state, that is a plus for you - especially as the school year draws closer. Sometimes it is easier to get interviewed and hired when they are down to the wire.

Someone above mentioned if you have worked with organizations like the Boys & Girls Club to make sure to mention that. They are absolutely correct, but you were probably told that in your Education classes. If you aren't able to get a position by the time school starts, apply to school to substitute and do some volunteer work in the organizations - they are always looking for tutors!

Good luck!!

work for MPS

seriously. SS jobs are very hard to come by around here. i taught HS SS in MPS for 3 years.

great pay (for teachers), fantastic benefits. you do have to live in the city within one year though.

if you really want/need a job, you cannot totally shun them.

EDIT: if you dont have one, get an econ license. they are like gold to many districts. everyone seems to be looking for someone with an econ cert.

I have been a music teacher (band director) for four years now, and I went through the same exact things. My first two jobs were both 60% where the districts hired me in late August - the first job was where I student taught and the second was the neighboring school district after there were budget cuts at my first district. After TONS of interviews and hundreds of applications sent to everyplace imaginable in the midwest, I got a full time job at a district that I love.

It takes time - there are not many teaching jobs open lately. Many jobs are being eliminated after retirements happen just to save money and jobs are redistributed (this is especially true in areas like music, art, phy ed, etc.), but a couple of other posters hit it right on the head - districts want hall-of-fame-type teachers. Don't let that discourage you, though - if you are a good teacher, you will get your dream job. Just don't expect it right away - take a part time job to gain experience, apply a little bit outside of your comfort zone (I live in the Milwaukee area and applied to jobs in MN and IL, even though I wasn't crazy about anything outside of Milwaukee, Fox Cities, or Madison), talk to your college professors of openings, check wisconsin.gov and WECAN daily for openings, sub for a while to gain experience in a district - all of these things work in finding a great teaching job.

I am the first to admit that teaching jobs nowadays are scarce - but if you are a good teacher, a job will come. All the best to you!

I'm going to chime in, because I'm a wannabe social studies teacher. I have four different licenses within social studies...broad field, econ, history, and poli sci. Two years, no luck...just 2 interviews. I'll admit, I have a small area in the state where I am looking, because I'm not willing to pick up and leave. I've subbed for 2 years, got a long term job, but nothing permanent. My advise...give up, temporarily, the desire to be a social studies teacher and go into something in high demand, like special ed. That's what I'm doing. Special ed is a high demand area, so chances of getting a job are fairly high. Once you're in, you're in, and you can always transfer when school districts have internal postings (within larger districts, that is).

My other advise, is do what I'm not willing to do, and move to a state that is fast growing, like Arizona.

For what it's worth, here's my experience and advice: I applied to countless districts in Wisconsin as well as out of state (I have no idea how many--too many to count). I had a few interviews, but spent my first year after college as a substitute. I developed a greater appreciation for subs, by the way, thanks in large part to all the experiences I had as a sub. Living in the Fox Cities, I subbed probably every day, and even had a few places where I was specifically requested. I was, in fact, getting ready to sub for a second year when I received a call from Arizona--a teacher had to leave three weeks into the school year. A phone interview quickly followed and three days later I was on my way to Arizona, where I just finished my 14th year, all at the same school.

I would love to get back to WI, but as my husband already posted, I'm/we're at the point in our careers that conditions have to be absolutely perfect for it to happen. We are in a very good place, though, and as much as I would like to get back to the midwest, I would really hate to leave Arizona.

Be open to as many possibilities as possible. People asked me, during that first year, if I was looking anywhere in particular for a teaching job. My reply was, "Not really. If I'm offered a job 3000 miles away, I'll take it." If you're not geographically limited, expand your search.

If you're willing to teach something else for a while, it's a great way to get your foot in the door (as many have suggested). It's much easier to switch positions once you're in. One caution, though: from what I've seen of the special education field here, be prepared for a lot of work and a lot of stress. We've had several special ed teachers switch to other positions (most recently, special ed to kindergarten) because of the workload and stress.

Regardless of your approach, good luck, and hang in there. It will happen.

I recently was able to get a teaching job fresh out of college and I am a lucky one from what I am hearing (3rd interview only). My advice would be to use the dpi website and WECAN. I really like WECAN and my suggestion would be to really take the time to answer the 12 questions properly. I would also google teacher interview questions and be incredibly prepared before you go. I spent hours on end practicing questions that I knew were going to be in my interview.

I did not have any "ins" really for my job but I just did my homework and prepared accordingly. Something that I did not see was making a portfolio. I got rave reviews about mine and it again took hours to put together. I had pictures with students and myself from student teaching that really put across the relationships I had with students.

It is tough... I was a fortunate one that was able to graduate and get two long terms in the last semester of 2005 and then get a full time social studies job after two interviews. I took an interviewing class at UW Whitewater. I learned a lot of valuable tactics that I think really helped separate myself from the others. One is being orgranized in the interview. Hand out things to people in the interview that they can keep. Have a thank you in the there and lesson plans. Butter them up and make them think, wow, he/she is organized and very polite. Also in getting interviews... Try and have somebody call in to the principal or even dept head to give you a good word. It can only help. We just filled a social studies job for one opening and 175 people applied and it was tough to weed through the applications and in many instances it was nice to know from the phone calls we got about the quality of the candidates. Lastly, have as many people as possible proof your letter of interest/application materials. Any typos and they really do get tossed for the most part. When there are so many applicants that look good on their resume, we will probably call the person with proper spelling and grammar. The most important thing is to show your love for being wiith kids. When they ask you, "Why do you want to teach?" Do not say, I want my summers off. You need to say something about helping kids and being there for them. Good luck in your quest and hope this helps.

Bring as much to the table as possible. If you can coach, advise a club, drive a bus; anything that adds additional services to a district (especially a small district) moves you way up the food chain.

My advice to you is be open to leaving the midwest, probably for a couple of years, if you want any chance to get a job in the midwest.

Very good advice. For example, here in DFW, which grew by over 100,000 last year, new schools pop up like crazy and they have to resort to putting up portable classrooms in the rear of the school because they can't build new ones fast enough. Additionally, go to realtor.com and look at the houses you can buy here for $150,000. The downside is, you live in Texas.

I'm in Arizona, and I know districts here (I teach in Paradise Valley, a part of Phoenix) actively recruit in the midwest. Lots were hired from Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, and Minnesota.

If you can't land a job in the midwest, perhaps traveling as others said. Some states have massive teacher shortages. Wisconsin has a surplus

I appreciate the time you all have taken to provide some insight and advice. I probably sunk myself a couple of times with errors or mistakes in a letter or something like that. I really can't move across the country due to some sick parents that I have to be within a couple of hours drive. I have been doing most of what you have suggested, so I must be doing something right. I check WECAN and WI.gov daily I've had people go through my materials and my questions. I point out how I would like to coach and/or work with extra-curriculars, I am taking econ classes right now to finish off my economics certification within the next year. Trust me, I don't teach for the money and I think I have demonstrated from my conditional contracted job that I have the skills, but as its been pointed out here I probably just don't have enough that administrators want. I still appreciate your time and imput. I wish all you the best.

Moose

Also, my advice is to let yourself shine. I went into my interviews and was very relaxed, and just spoke about who I was, what I believe in, and what I want to achieve. I flat out said that my first years of teaching would be a struggle, but that I planned on persevering thanks to a strong upbringing and the support of the school community. I spoke of my desire to coach. Really, schools want to get to know you as a person, because they want to know if they can work with you. Catch phrases (rigor, multiple intelligences, etc) are all nice, but they don't help sell YOU as a person.

Im in georgia...got a job on the first swing at a very nice magnet school...

everyone else who posts here probably sees the southeast as a total dump, but with your degree, you'd be able to pick the school you want in the south...i moved her from NC, and i was hired with nothing more than 1 year of subbing at the school i wanted (note: i have a masters though, which is something i would definitely look into if you are still unemployed at xmas...if you are just working part time, why not get s'more edumacation?)

(note: i have a masters though, which is something i would definitely look into if you are still unemployed at xmas...if you are just working part time, why not get s'more edumacation?)

I would very much not get your masters if you are still umemployed. Many schools around here have major budget problems (they all say they do) and more education=higher salary. I think I was hired in part because I was going to make less than the other more experienced candidates. I have talked to about 10 other teachers/administrators on the subject and they agree to not go for that until you are settled in at a school.

yeah, my wife got her master's degree about 8 years ago and (a) it hampered her job search when we wanted to leave; and (b) it really didn't improve her salary much in our district. She makes about $1500 more per year than I do (pre-tax) and I have a Bachelor's. But as a result, her master's degree was a waste of money. Not saying this is the case in all districts but is in ours.

Arizona, at one time, required a master's degree before you could get recertified but they got rid of it because school districts all over the state complained that they couldn't keep their teachers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I am currently in college to become a teacher, and from what I have heard, any kind of social studies is near impossible to get. If you really want to stick with this area, you will have to gain as much experience as possible before getting that full time job. Good luck with everything though

I'm going to be certified in English and history for Secondary ed. I'm starting to get a bit concerned that finding a job might be more difficult that I've anticipated (my mom and brother both got jobs after 1 interview). I'd be open to going out of state for a few years, though. It is good to hear that there is oppurtunity out there.

Archived