Brewer Fanatic

08/01/2006 Brewers (Bush) @ Rockies (Fogg) 8:05pm CST

JoeH33

Matt Wise impressed me much more than Cordero tonight

Are you serious? I mean he got 2 outs relatively quick, but come on

Yeah, I was, kind of. I mean, striking out the side is always cool and impressive to watch, but the jam Cordero got out of was his own doing. It was a great job to get the save after what looked like sure disaster, but let's not let Coco's "new car smell" fool us into thinking it was masterful or ideal for your closer. A triple and two walks. If this had been Turnbow pitching that way (and it often was), people would be running him up the flagpole or shaking their heads right now. Bottom line, the save is what counts so I'm glad that Cordero got back in the saddle at the end.

Anyway, I've mostly been happy about seeing our set-up guys like Wise start to get it back together a bit.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how Cordero just decided to take over and carry the team once that leadoff triple / error happened. He looked so determined and it was clear he had no intention of seeing that tying run score.

It was just awesome to see someone step up and deliver when it mattered.

AWESOME.

OK...

While my heart didn't allow me to watch the game on TV in the 9th, I noticed via Gameday that Helton led off with a "triple" then I caught a glimpse of the play after the game on ESPN. I just caught Gwynn sliding like he over ran it. Is that what happened. I've noticed he looks a little lost out there. I know he's supposed to be good defensively but I know he took a weird route on a ball at a game I was at recently. Just seems like he's not picking up the ball right away.

Just saw the play. I would've really been pissed if they would've lost because of that. Great hustle, of course, by Brady to go get it. They both took ugly routes. Luckily it was Helton running.

In no way was that triple Cordero's doing. Once you get a guy on third in that situation you don't really think much about the guys after him. He walked two batters but that would have never happened if the triple wouldn't have occured. He was going for K's all the way since basically any contact + our defense = "In Play - Run Scoring Play"

I honestly think Cordero is one of the best closers in baseball and he has been proving since his first month meltdown.

One thing about Cordero, though. You notice how he can throw 97 if he really wants to, but chooses to throw between 93-95 to get better control? Turnbow, did you notice? Nah, i didn't think you did.. but you will.

Turnbow is far from done. He just needs to learn from this experience.

Steve you hit the nail on the head... Cordero had to be perfect after the little league "triple." I can tolerate the two walks because he had to be exact with his spots to get the Ks he desperately needed.

Also, whoever said this could be a turnaround game could be right... I saw more emotion on that bench in the ninth and after the final out than I have most of the year (not counting the walkoff wins).

I hope this win is as big as it feels.

Quote:
Yeah, I feel this game turns around our season.

I guess we'll see if the new look Brewers are any different than the old look Brewers, because so far this season, this would be the point where they insert a 4 game losing streak and render that win meaningless.

That was indeed a hell of a game and I fell asleep with a big stupid smile on my face.

On the triple, Brady thought he was still playing center field... he should have realized it was Tony's ball to lose and taken the back-up route automatically. Really glad Fran got Tony off the hook for that, could have been a huge mental black mark for the rook. Of course the rain soaked turf did not help matters.

Also, maybe it's just me, but from watching Ned Yost manage, I fully expect a suicide squeeze to happen each and every instance the circumstance allows it. It was boggling to me why the Rox didn't try one...especially with runners at the corners and 1 down. they had about 20 Cordero pitches to pull the trigger on it.

I suppose the NBA rule of thumb for a last possession shot is: on the road - play for the win, at home - play for the tie. that could translate to MLB.

Its just a brief opinion - but Brady hasnt been working in right too much so I thought it was a good question to pose to the crew here.

Gwynn screwed up on that play - plain and simple. But shouldnt Clark have been backing up on that play. Somehow Clark ended up in front of Gwynn - which leads me to think that the mistake was his - I think Gwynn was going to make a play on that ball but when Clark didnt appear to be yielding to Gwynn, I think Gwynn suddenly went into backing up Clark, but couldnt stop in time.

I could be wrong, and without that play, I wouldnt know what a bad dude Cordero is, so I am glad it happened. I am just curious if anyone else interpretted it that way.

That ball was Tony's all the way. Tony over ran it. He could have had that ball easily. Brady was sailing by and when Tony slid you could see Brady's demenor change... his shoulder's slumped and ran after it at full speed.

CoCo did a great job that inning. I was at the edge of my seat the whole 9th inning. I am throughly impressed with CoCo. I like Tbow but he has issues. I say let CoCo close and when Tbow gets out of his funk let him set up. Tbow gets back to normal and CoCo in the 9th they could be untouchable. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The ball was Tony's all the way which means Brady should have been backing it up, not in front. Throw in a rookie perhaps being a little tentative and not calling off the veteran and a veteran playing out of his normal position and I think there's plenty of shared blame.

Archived