Brewer Fanatic

Appealing a tag up on winning run.

alorrigan
After seeing the game winning sac fly in the All Star game it got me thinking how would you appeal that. Normally the pitcher comes set, steps off and throws to the base. But in this situation the game is over and the pitcher won't have an opportunity to come set. Would you just throw it to the base right away? I would imagine the umpires would be on their way off the field right away so they wouldn't make a call. Does anyone remember this ever happening?

I'm not sure about the 'by the rules' procedure a team or player(s) is supposed to follow, but the umpires leaving the field could be addressed relatively easily by just talking to them/alerting them to the desire to appeal.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You just have to appeal the play before another pitch is thrown. The home team can simply tell the umps they want to appeal. But I'd love to see the uproar if they then call the guy out and say the home team did not win the game.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

My daughter's college team lost a chance to go to the NCAA softball tournament last year on just such a play. 2 run homer wins it except the lead runner jumps over home plate. Opponent called the umps back, appealed the play and the home team lost. Big time bummer - it was her senior year.

Archived