Brewer Fanatic

7/19/08 Brewers (Sheets) at Giants (Sanchez): 3:05 CDT

wibadgers23
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice win today. Was glad to listen in and hear them not give in when they were trailing against Sheeter, who, it seems was a bit off today on the "short" rest.

Don't be happy with a series win, though. Gotta win tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

A few things from today's game (sorry if they've been covered earlier, I've been out and about today since the game itself)...

--The Giants as part of their 50th anniversary in SF had a pitcher and catcher reunion and good ole Mike Caldwell was there (Mark Davis, too, but not as exciting for me). Sure, he was wearing orange and black, but it was awesome seeing him today all the same.

--There was a great couple of minutes for me and my wife watching Big Ben interact with "Lou Seal," the Giants' mascot, while Ben was warming up in centerfield before the game. They were pretty impressive out there as the new Two Stooges, giving and taking--ole Ben's got the gift for physical comedy. I thought he was going to mix it up with him for a few seconds there.

--Benny didn't look at his best from pitch one (coincidence?). I'm a little surprised he lasted as long as he did, but I was impressed with the way he came back around after the 4-run inning and didn't melt down.

--I'm sorry you guys didn't get to see Prince absolutely CRUSH that Splash Hit live. It was a thing of beauty, the Giants' fans even loved it. I go to a lot of games here and that was the first Splash Hit I've seen live and it was pretty impressive, to say the least.

--My wife, who basically follows me following the Brewers, said to me in the 7th, "Is that guy with the curly hair the one who blew all those saves?" I looked, and she was pointing to good ole Gagne, who had a jacket on covering his name. I was proud of her.

--I love Billy Hall but he is pushing way too hard. Way too hard.

--I love the Giants' Field Club seats...they have windows into the visitors' batting cages beneath the seats so if you're in the tunnel you get to see what bench guys are going to pinch hit, as Skaalen goes down and tosses to them in the inning or two prior. Fun to watch.

--As a Brewers' fan, there is no better sight than seeing Ned's Chiclet smile. He has looked so incredibly happy the last two days. Talk about a guy who can't really hide his emotions as much as he tries. Like last night, all the Brewers looked loose and happy, which seems rare out here.

--Lot of Brewers' fans there again today...there were a lot of us waiting by the dugout and in the tunnel afterwards. My wife and I got bored and left (I'm just not an autograph hound) but not before Uke walked right next to us on his way into the clubhouse to a round of respectful Hellos and Hey Bobs. Pretty cool.

--I'm really, really impressed with the way this team fought back when they might've tucked their tails in after their ace got knocked around, even against the Giants. A road win is a road win. A West Coast road win is even better than that.

--I think the Crew can take Lincecum tomorrow. A lot of friendly Giants fans told me after the game at the place we were at that, "You guys are gonna lose tomorrow, though." Maybe. But the Brewers have had success against Lincecum, Manny's no slouch, the Giants stink at home, and the bats are rolling. We'll see. I'm not gonna bring my broom, but we'll see.

Ueck is simply classic:

"Righetti coming out to talk to Yabu, and Yabu talking to Molina asking what Righetti is saying, and Molina says 'I dunno.' Righetti will go back into the dugout and Bruce Bochy will ask what they said, and Righetti will say 'I dunno -- everyone's speaking different out there.'"

It's pretty funny he said this...I had an older Japanese-American Giants' fan in front of me at the game that I was talking with the whole time (before him and his wife split in the 8th) and after everyone (including Giants fans) booed Yabu's pace, and then the Giants fans booed wildly after Rickie's double, he leaned back and said to me, "Well, that's what happens when you've got a Puerto Rican and a Japanese guy trying to talk with one another!"

"Well, you know, the way I see it human beings around the world all have fingers, right?," I say.

Archived