Brewer Fanatic

McClung to bullpen? -- Yost to platoon McClung and Bush -- Latest: platoon over; Bush back in rotation full-time (reply #165)

LouisEly

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who do you think is starting on the 21st? It hasn't been announced. If Yost decides to go with the SP H/A platoon, this would be the start that McClung gets. Bush could act as reliever for the day McClung starts. If the team does get in trouble and thinks it will need another reliever, they will probably need to DFA Mota or send down Dillon and bring back Stetter.

-The team needs a starter for Monday, the 21st. It will presumably be either McClung or Bush. If Yost wants to go with his home/road platoon with those two, the guy not pitching will be in the bullpen.

-Mitch Stetter is up.

-A move will have to made to take someone off the roster when Suppan comes back on the 22nd.

-The team needs a starter for Monday, the 21st.

Huh? Bush is listed. I guess if Yost does the home/road split it may be McClung, but I don't think he will pull the trigger on that. As good as Bush was in his last start I think he'll get another shot on the road. It will be only one start on the road, then Bush will get two at home.

Always trust ESPN! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The way this develops will be interesting. I sure hope the home/road platoon of Bush & McClung isn't for real. Seth to the 'pen, Mota to Zirmucon VIII, Soup back in the rotation, & DiFelice up. That's my ideal scenario, anyway.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If this move goes well, Ned's a genius. If this move backfires, the season is pretty well lost and an uproar will ensue.

I don't see how this has any impact on the season at all if it will be lost or not because of this.

If this move goes well, Ned's a genius. If this move backfires, the season is pretty well lost and an uproar will ensue.
I don't care if it works, I will still think it's a bad idea.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am sorry but Ned's idea of going with a platoon is absolutely idiotic. How can you tell Dave Bush he can't make his next start after his last four? I know he has struggled on the road but that's beside the point right now. Start McClung and Bush and tell Suppan to skip another start. I don't really nit pick about what Ned does too much because you can always second guess a manager but if this is what he does I will be furious.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sold on this at all - particluarly because most people on the JSOnline blog think its a good idea http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Seriously, I looked at Bush's career numbers and they are profoundly better at home. The question is, if he stops pitching on the road is he still going to be as good at home? I don't think this is a really good idea.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was going to post that I thought the idea of platooning a pitcher... against a magical monster that appears only on the road... was a waste of time, but I didn't want to just vent on Ned. Now that I see I'm not alone, I will agree -- this is a moronic waste of time, not to mention the problems that could arise from saying, 'Bush will relieve McClung, and McClung will relieve Bush.'

Yay even more idiotic & strictly defined bullpen roles!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I hate this idea.

Just what we need. Making the bullpen harder for Ned to manage.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I also don't see any logical explanation for this considering how Bush has been pitching of late. Doug should just take this decision of out Ned's hands and trade one of them to Oakland for Street because this is ridiculous. Bush is going to go like 3 weeks in between starts for god sakes, how is that suppose to keep him sharp?

I've been a pretty big Yost defender in the past (mostly due to the overall poor quality of the managing pool and Ned's theoretical potential to learn from past mistakes), but I just can't wrap my mind around this one whatsoever. It makes no rational sense that 29 random ballparks should have any effect on how a person pitches. The only thing that can happen here is that it screws with the pitchers by making them skip normal starts and lose any routine they might have had. Also, how can one defend sending Dave Bush to the bullpen after what he's done lately?

My only hope is that McClung has a bad first start, Bush has two good starts, and Ned finally realizes how dumb of an idea that was to begin with.

What a silly, silly idea. McClung doesn't exactly set the bar very high to begin with. I think it will be abandoned by the end of the month for sure.

Does this mean that Bush can't even be used in the bullpen? Since they are on the road, he'll obviously do terrible, right?

Archived