Brewer Fanatic

Have an extra $22 Million for a new home? Only $14M for adjacent parcel!

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Most of you saw the big JS Feature on Mark Attanasio this week

But you househunters probably missed this -- be sure to check out the virtual tour (will take some time to load) --

http://www.bergproperties.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/attanasio-ii1.png

http://www.bergproperties.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/attanasio-i1.jpg

Milwaukee Brewers principal owner Mark Attanasio has placed his five-bedroom, Cape Cod-style oceanfront house on Malibu's Broad Beach on the market for $22,000,000.

In a Big Time Listings exclusive, we can report on Attanasio's listing of his 3,025-square-foot house, which is at 31202 Broad Beach Road in Malibu. In addition, Attanasio is also selling an adjacent, 0.3-acre vacant parcel (at 31206 Broad Beach Road) for $14,000,000. The listing came on the market on Monday. The Malibu Real Estate Blog wrote earlier this week about the listing but didn't identify the property's owner, which we're now doing here.

Built in 1946, the house is being billed by its listing agent (somewhat cheesily, we'd say) as "The Hamptons Meet Broadbeach." The house has four and a half baths and sits on a narrow but deep, 0.39-acre parcel, according to public records and listing information. Clearly visible on satellite images is a large basketball court on the adjacent, 0.3-acre tract. That's a $14 million basketball court!

Attanasio was quoted in a 2005 New York Times article discussing the conflict between Malibu beachfront residents and strangers on the beach. "It's a little bit of a challenge," Attanasio told the Times in that story. "If I went to their house and sat in their backyard, they wouldn't be pleased."

Check out an online listing sheet for Attanasio's house - complete with photos. And, take a look at a property website for the house. Finally, go on a virtual tour of the house.

Records show that Attanasio also owns a 2,867-square-foot house at 2661 Angelo Drive in Los Angeles' Bel-Air area. His main residence, however, is a 13,322-square-foot mansion on a 1.32-acre parcel at 1630 Mandeville Canyon Road in Los Angeles' Brentwood area, according to public records.

Who needs a 13,322 square foot living space? I can see owning two or three homes if you are super rich, but what would you do with 13,000 square feet of indoors?
I'd build a bathroom I can play baseball in.

I love Nickelback. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Who needs a 13,322 square foot living space?

Since when is anyone limited to owning only what they "need"?

I have no desire to own multiple houses or anything that huge myself and do think those who do are kinda nuts.

I would just want one house that I can be comfortable in, make sure I have enough money to live on and save, save, save. Make sure my kids and my kids' kids and kids' kids' kids are taken care of. But that's just me who has not a whole lot of money, and would never come close to sniffing .0001% of that much money.

Does the Kidd jersey come with that price?

Looking at the house pictures, it seems clear that this is a vacation home as opposed to a primary residence. Two of the BR have bunk beds and one of the rooms is listed as TV/Guest room.

I'm curious, does anyone know what kind of commission Realtors get for higher priced homes like this? A 5% comission would be over $1 million! Do they set a price beforehand, like maybe $50,000-$100,000?

Mark A,

Thanks for spending some of your vast wealth on an attempt to get the Milwaukee Brewers to the WS for the first time in 26 years.

Signed,

The six hundred thousand (???) long-suffering Brewer fans

• 5 weeks later...
Probably would be enough for the toilet paper located in all of the bathrooms.

Well then I'll just wrap myself up in all that toilet paper and pretend to be a ghost to scare the person who buys the house out so I can have it for myself.

Maybe if he sells the house he can afford to sign CC and Ben http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

While this is the obvious throw away line, I think this article does shed light on the fact that Attanasio is extremely wealthy and we shouldn't completely rule out the possibility that at least one of those guys is back. It's a longshot sure, but only his accountant knows for sure what is possible.

It's not about how much money Mark A has, it's about how much his team can afford to spend. He's not bad business man, you don't get to his level by making bad business decisions, he's not going to operate any business at a loss for any significant period of time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Turning the Brewers into a perenial contenter (which he would do by locking up CC and Braun to long term contracts) will increase the money the Brewers will bring in. I could see Mark investing more money in the team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The big money maker in owning a sports franchise is the large windfall one assumes when they finally decide to sell the franchise. Year to year profits and losses do help, but the value of the overall franchise on the open market is the barometer that one is generally going to look to for how much they are making off of owning a sports franchise.

Signing Ben Sheets and/or CC Sabathia will only help the brewers stay competitive in the NL and allow the franchise value to soar after multiple years of playoff caliber baseball. Co-inside that with the projected increases in fan attendance, merchandise and TV and radio revenues that would come with continually playing competitive baseball and the year to year losses will be minimized. The key is to not go to far into the red numbers which would adversely affect ones ability to keep their eye on the larger prize, the reward of increased franchise value.

I am sure that a man of Mr. Attanasio's stature has this type of idea down. He will not shed a tear over relatively small year to year losses, when the increased value of the franchise continues to skyrocket. Just think of the profits he would already have if he sold the team after this year alone.

Archived