Brewer Fanatic

Best place to sit with kids?

RU Rah Rah

I'm thinking of taking my kids (ages 3 and 7) to the "businessman's special" game v. the Nationals on August 11. I've never taken them to Miller Park, and I'm wondering what the best place to sit would be. I guess I would want to have an OK view of the field, low screaming-line-drive-foul-ball risk, and some nearby concessions/fun stuff.

(I also have no delusions about them sitting and watching the game for very long. I will be thrilled if we get in a couple of solid innings.)

I'm gonna take my daughter (age 6) to her first game soon and I'm expecting lots of wandering around. I'm thinking upper deck, RF by the kids play area--I think it's still up there, right?
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'd go for Field Outfield down the 1st base line if it is within your budget. There is a brand new, massive kid zone right behind the seats there, so you would be very close to that. Also, you can still see the field from that area, so you could possibly see some of the game during playtime.

We have had season tix in family section 217 since Miller Opened and my son was 3. It's a great place location to watch a game from. However, if have real concerns regarding foul balls, it behind home plate an many balls get hit up there (although my son has never been hit). At the same time it's a great place for a kid to get a souvenir foul ball. A lot of the balls get hit into the press box and then they always search for a kid to give it to. My son has over a dozen baseballs from games, most of them via the press box (of course many of those were from earlier years at Miller Park, when the crowds where not as big).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The terrace level family section (417) is very convenient to restrooms (including a family restroom for parents who don't want to take an opposite-sex child to "the other" bathroom) and the guest relations booth. Leave that section, turn to your right (toward home) and it's not far to concessions, a smaller and rarely crowded fan zone store with some kid merchandise, and the kid recreation area (Bernie's Playhouse?). There's also a kid concession stand adjacent to the Playhouse.

From 417 you can see the whole field except the far right-field corner. If the roof is open, you can see toward downtown too, from that angle. The chance of a ball entering the section is almost zero. Terrace reserved sometimes gets a little rowdy, but the terrace box sections are only 7-10 rows, and the ushers are generally right there.

If terrace box 417 seats are still available that day ($19), I'd fully recommend them. We have had season tickets there since 2002 and have been pleased with them.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't have kids, but I would think either the terrace level somewhere near the infield, or the diamond level along the right field line would be good. The terrace level has an area right behind homeplate with a play area with all kinds of tubes to crawl around in and ball pits and stuff... probably more geared toward younger kids. The right field diamond level has stuff more geared toward older kids like video games, places to try to outrun a Corey Hart Cutout to first base, Bernie's slide, virtual batting and pitching cages, etc.

Also, don't know if you're committed to the 11th, but if you were able to make it on a Sunday, all kids 16 and under get to run the bases (with an adult) after the game. I've always been tempted to borrow someone's kid so I could run the bases also.

Check out the Miller Park A to Z guide http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/ballpark/ballpark_guide.jsp#K

Look under Associated Bank Kid's Zone, Bernie's Clubhouse, & Kids Base Run.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm hoping to avoid the drunken debauchery as much as possible. (It kind of makes me sad to think that I'm going to have to expose my son to it when he gets old enough to head over to Camp Randall.)

Depending on your finances I would sit in field level seats. Your kids, at least your 7 year old, will enjoy the better view than sitting in the 400 nose bleed seats. For your 3 year old it probably won't matter either way. When my son was 7 he enjoyed the game and paid attention sitting in the 100's, and got bored sitting on top.

I'm not sure about the other family sections, but section 217 is about as safe as you can get as far as avoiding "drunken debauchery". We have gotten to know the usher that works that section. He stands behind the section and is quickly on anyone who attempts to "sneak" a drink into the section. "Sneak" may not be the appropriate word. I think sometimes people just don't realize that they have family section tickets (a friend or someone else gave them to them), or sometimes people think it's ok if they go buy a beer and come back with it, but they just can't purchase one from a vendor (not sure why they think that, but they do).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Despite my endorsement of TB 417 above, I have to add my props to the 217 usher, Bill. He's really great. He has a presence that is both friendly and very professional - a good combination anywhere, but maybe especially in a section with alcohol restrictions.

We just began regularly sitting in 217 this year, and literally by mid-April it was apparent that this guy stood out among ushers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

make sure you have socks.

i took my little girl a couple weeks ago and it slipped my mind that she was wearing crocs. they wouldnt let her in the terrace play area without socks.

i am convinced it is a ploy to sell more $8 pairs of socks at the fan zone. crocs are just as dirty as socks in my opinion.

also note that there is a height limit. the 7 year old might be too tall

My family and I have been sitting in 217 the last few years and it's great. No problems with the sloppers and a great view. I agree with the other posters, Bill is a great usher.

On hot days if you sit in the back rows of the section, the AC from the pressbox provides a nice cool breeze.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've sat mostly around 212-216 the last few years (right field side) and it's nice in those areas. Not cheap - about $35 a ticket - but worth it. Lots of families. You get to see the game close enough so your kids aren't wondering what the heck is going on because everything is so small. I've had my son with me (he's almost 9) in a few bleacher, upper deck locations over the past few years, and when we've been there, he's never as engaged with the game because things are so small (also, upper deck is really freaking loud with the speakers right behind you).

Going to the nicer seats keeps away all the massive groups who buy 40 or 50 tickets and take a bus with a barrel of beer on board with the intent of partying more than anything.

I've sat next to the Loge infield box family section (I think 217), and, as people say, it's great there. They sell those pretty fast, however. I've never been able to get them when I've gone.

I'd go for the RF side or behind the plate for day games -- otherwise the sun can be pretty bad on a clear day. Not a big deal for some people, but kids get cranky over stuff like that.

Finally, no matter what, get preferred parking if you have kids. You get out of there way faster and it's well worth it.

Despite my endorsement of TB 417 above, I have to add my props to the 217 usher, Bill. He's really great. He has a presence that is both friendly and very professional - a good combination anywhere, but maybe especially in a section with alcohol restrictions.

We just began regularly sitting in 217 this year, and literally by mid-April it was apparent that this guy stood out among ushers.

I know who you're talking about having sat in 217 many a time (mostly in the lean years, when tickets were plentiful and not terribly expensive) and he stood out to me too. I remember one particular game when he helped a father / son in their quest for a foul ball. Great guy.

Archived