Brewer Fanatic

best out-of-state fast food

Bikeage77

There's a place in the South called Raising Cane's that serves nothing but chicken fingers and it's ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. It started at LSU and has since spread. There are a few in New Orleans now and a quick look at their site says they're in Minneapolis, amongst other places - mostly college towns.

They serve the fingers with this amazing dipping sauce, a piece of Texas Toast and fries. Seriously, I'm craving it hard-core.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two places that I love here is In-n-Out Burger and Del Taco, which completely blows apart Taco Bell. Their burgers and fries are pretty good, too. Plus, their commercials are pretty funny.

As for Whataburger, you mean "Where'stheburger?" One of their stores opened in our town about 7 years ago and we tried it once. I got something that was supposedly on the more "deluxe" menu but the burger was so small it was like having a lettuce and tomato sandwich. I vowed never again.

When we go back home to Wisconsin, we usually hit up a Hardee's. I grew up with that stuff so I love it. Thankfully, we have a Carl Jrs. here in town, so I get some of the Hardee's menu here but not all of it, hence the reason we usually go there once per trip.

I hate Culvers. I am probably one of the few on this board that has this sentiment. We always seem to go there and I try to find the most appetizing thing on the menu, which is usually a cup of water. **shrugs shoulders** Don't know why but it's just not appetizing to me.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

That place is excellent, despite the founder being some weird nut.
Those kind of comments belong over at the Political board, not here. Just because he's a devout Christian who stays closed on Sundays, does not make him a "weird nut".

Good thing you let everyone in on the religious aspect of it then.

living in NC now, i miss Culvers. nothing beats their burgers. But Sonic is growing as one of my favourite places to eat.

if i'm not mistaken, Chick-Fil-A was founded or has their headquarters or something here in Winston-Salem. the place has longer lines than McDonalds around here. you get a lot of meat for your buck, but i think their stuff is plain and boring, and their wraps are dry. and as far as closing on Sundays, EVERYTHING down here closes on Sundays--this is the South--so it's not one bit odd that a fast-food place would do the same thing. Even if it weren't for religious reseasons, most everyone just stays at home on Sunday and doesn't go out, so there's not a ton of business to be made that day, anyway.

CookOut is a hugely popular place around here. I haven't been, but apparently they have some awesome hamburgers.

Bojangles is a southern restaurant here that has to be the most awful thing ever. as bad for you as Southern food already is, this is Southern food fast-food style. sausage buscuits, steak biscuits, fried chicken...

Baja Fresh. It's kind of one of those Qdoba/chipotle type places, but tastes better IMO.

I TOTALLY forgot about Baja Fresh! That and Burgerville were my fave places to frequent when I lived in Portland/Vancouver. Great places!

CookOut is a hugely popular place around here. I haven't been, but apparently they have some awesome hamburgers.

A little over a month ago I visited North Carolina, and the friends I stayed with recommended this place, which has no seating, just a drive through, and they grill their food on large Weber's apparently. It was awesome, primarily for their 2 dollar shakes, which are really tasty. I highly recommend trying this place out. I tried Sonic when I was there too, and it was just meh.

Hardee's has changed so much I don't recognize it anymore (they got bought out by Carl's Jr. some time ago and changed their menu a lot). Now it seems like a weird hybrid of Burger King and A&W. The burgers are big, but don't seem very flavorful.

There is a Del Taco now in Janesville. They actually brought back that big ceramic cow that used to be along the side of the road as you were coming in from Milton. I haven't had the chance to try it since whenever I get to Janesville, my wife is with me, and she's not big on fast food tacos. I like to get Taco John's every once in a while...I just wish they didn't water down their cheese sauce so much.

Personally, I much prefer Culver's to any other fast food joint around this area, as far as burgers.

Darn...I'm hungry now. Have to find a decent place that delivers around here.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Off topic, but I am some kind of superdork when it comes to traveling and visiting franchises we don't have up here. If I'm down south, I make sure to stop at Zaxby's and Waffle House for food, Kroger and Publix for groceries, QT and Racetrak for gas, and CVS... just because they are no CVS 'es in the Madison area. Also, anyone notice that the waitresses at the Hooter's down south are much better looking than those up here?

Back on topic. Chick-fil-a rocks. My mother-in-law used to work at the Chick-fil-a corporate headquarters south of Atlanta. My father-in-law retired from Delta and currently works at a Chick-fil-a distribution center to keep himself busy. I've read one of Truett Cathy's books. There is nothing nutty about him at all. You will not get a better chicken nugget than at Chick-fil-a. I actually prefer their waffle fries over Arby's curly fries. Earlier this summer I had work related training in Kansasville. (Between Burlington and Union Grove) I was there for 3 days, and every day I drove to the Regency Mall to get me some Chick-fil-a.

Just commenting on some other people's thoughts. I found Whataburger just okay. They don't put ketchup on their burgers. I thought White Castle was horrible. You must have to be under the influence to enjoy the food. I thought Baja Fresh was better than Qdoba and Panchero's, but not as good as Chipolte. Johnny Rocket's is good. Good milkshakes and neat atmosphere. However, my waiter in Daytona Beach was missing most of his teeth. I've never been to In N Out Burger, and I would love to go there. Has anyone here tried Backyard Burgers? I haven't made it there yet.

Onto 5 Guys Burgers and Fries... Hands down, the best burger I've ever had. Greasy, yes but absolutely delicious.

I could swear that I recently saw a "Coming Soon" sign for a CVS in the Madison area. I cannot remember where. I do remember thinking "huh, they're going to try this market, with all the Walgreens stores already?"

I could be wrong about this - although it would be unusual for me to recall that much detail, had I dreamt it.

To attempt to stay on topic, we've been to two Sonics, one in Lawrence KS and one in Phoenix. The Lawrence location was annoying because they charged us more for an item than was printed on the menu and then said they weren't responsible for menu errors.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Those kind of comments belong over at the Political board, not here. Just because he's a devout Christian who stays closed on Sundays, does not make him a "weird nut".

Yea, not to get off topic, but Chick-fil-A is a southern resturant, that kind of thing isn't too uncommon down there(along with liquor stores being closed on sundays as well).

That being said, I'd like to see a Krystal(like White Castle, only better), Whataburger and Zaxby's(Sonic would have made my list, but they are moving some into Milwaukee soon).

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

There was one CiCi's and one Dairy Queen in New Orleans and they were in the same strip mall across the street from the Zephyr's stadium (AAA ball). So we'd go to CiCi's for dinner, get something from DQ and then go see the Zephyr's on Thursday nights for Thirsty Thursdays with $1 beers. Good times.

I had Baja Fresh in DC last summer and LOVED the salsa bar. What a great idea!

Lastly, I feel like I saw that same CVS coming soon in Madison and I want to say it was on Park between campus and the beltline, but I'm not sure!

Bojangles is a southern restaurant here that has to be the most awful thing ever. as bad for you as Southern food already is, this is Southern food fast-food style. sausage buscuits, steak biscuits, fried chicken...

Aw, I love Bojangles. It saved my life once.

If y'all have never had breakfast at a Chik Fil A, you have to try it. Chicken biscuits are sooo good.

First things I thought of when I saw the thread was In N Out Burger and Del Taco. Anytime I see either of these places when I am out of town I stop. I think I just might have fond memories of being out on the road with my friends and experiencing them both, but dang do they hit the spot.

They are such a huge step up from the disgusting LeeAnn Chin's that are prevalent in Minnesota.

Dis-gusting. Man do I hate that nasty pan-Asian slophouse.

I'm a big Whataburger fan, and love White Castle. My favorite chains in TX are mostly limited size (10-20 locations) places. The places I miss most down here are Rocky Rococo and Culver's (though there's one an hour away).

Whataburger and Lotaburger are two of my favorite places. Despite all the Sonics love, I've never been too impressed with them.

Pita-Pit is pretty good when you're drunk hungry at 3am and need a delivery. Cheap too.

Archived