Brewer Fanatic

best out-of-state fast food

Bikeage77

With all that excitement of Sonic coming to WI, what are some other fast food places that you look forward to when out of state? I'm almost positive this has been discussed before, but now I'm craving stuff.

Personally In N Out is my favorite. Though I absolutely love the Jack In The Box tacos. They blow away Taco Bell or Taco John's any day. I do sense that with JITB tacos it's either you love em or hate em, no middle ground.

Anyone had Chick Filet? What's that place all about? I was going to try it in Alabama, but never got a chance to make a stop, opinions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have Chick-Fil-As in Wisconsin, or at least they used to. That place is excellent, despite the founder being some weird nut. Apparently they invented the chicken sandwich. McDonald's new "southern style" chicken sandwiches are on obvious rip-off of Chick-Fil-A.

There are only 2 White Castles in Wisconsin, I always like getting some of their stuff.

I used to really like Big Boy's and there are no more in Wisconsin, but the past few times I've been to ones in Illinois or Ohio, the food hasn't been good.

I live in Minneapolis now and for a long time, there were no Checkers over here. One finally opened a few months ago, which was pretty cool. I like that place a lot, they have excellent fries.

They don't have Wong's Wok over here either, though I'm not sure exactly what the story with that restaurant is (I mean, I don't know how big of a chain it is). They've got some excellent fried chicken though. They are such a huge step up from the disgusting LeeAnn Chin's that are prevalent in Minnesota. Not being able to get Wong's Wok was a big blow when I first moved here.

Sonic is good, Chick-Fil-A is excellent, and here in Texas, there is a chain called Whataburger. VERY good burgers. Also, a Texas chain, that I believe started here in San Antonio, is Taco Cabana. Very good food, and in fact, I'll be heading there in about an hour and a half for a bible study.

Community Moderator

There used to be a Chick-fil-A at Southridge, I always liked eating there.

I'll also throw in a plug for Tim Horton's, which I have seen in Ohio and Ontario. Their Raspberry filled Timbits (donut holes) are awesome.

I know that Tom's Drive Ins are still in state, but they are only in the Fox Valley area. I crave Tom's all the time. They used to have the greatest hot dogs in the world, but then they switched to a spicy dog which I don't care for so much. The menu is stacked and everything tastes great. Big props to Tom's.

Chik-Filet is awesome in Florida. Doing a quick search, they have one in Racine. The best chicken nuggets I have ever had. I believe part of the difference is they fry in peanut oil or something like that, not your regular vegetable oil, but I could be wrong.

I also like Steak & Shake

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In n Out burger. Yum.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That place is excellent, despite the founder being some weird nut.
Those kind of comments belong over at the Political board, not here. Just because he's a devout Christian who stays closed on Sundays, does not make him a "weird nut".

My wife and I got hooked on Sweet Tomatoes when we were out in Phoenix last year for Spring Training. Not sure if you would consider it fast food, but it is a buffet place that is known for its extensive selection of salad, soups, and homeade focaccia breads. It also has strawberry lemonade that is to die for. Unfortunately there are none in Wisconsin, but we did go to one they recently opened in Waukegan when we took the boys to Great America a few weeks ago.

If there's a buzz about Sonic, then there are going to be a lot of disappointed people. Just make sure you're near a bathroom, as I have found Sonic to be a fine laxative.

There's a burger chain called "Five Guys" that is very excellent. Very limited menu, but awesome burgers and hand cut fries. They have free buckets of peanuts inside their stores. I have eaten there in Maryland and New Jersey.

I love In N Out Burger.

Chick-Fil-A is okay. Not sure if they're still using styrofoam cups, which seems odd.

I went to a chicken wing chain called Zaxby's when I lived in Jacksonville. It's a little upscale to be lumped in with typical fast food chains, but they do have a drive through. Good stuff.

Another place was called "Whataburger", but it was disappointing.

Just make sure you're near a bathroom, as I have found Sonic to be a fine laxative.
Funny, that's been my experience with Steak N Shake, and I've heard the same thing from others. It's good food, but it goes through quickly.

That place is excellent, despite the founder being some weird nut.
Those kind of comments belong over at the Political board, not here. Just because he's a devout Christian who stays closed on Sundays, does not make him a "weird nut".

There's more to it than that...at least from what I've read.

Anyway, I love In N' Out. Burgerville looks really good too.

There's more to it than that...at least from what I've read.

Anyway, I love In N' Out. Burgerville looks really good too.

Big-time props to In N' Out and Zaxby's as well.

Although regarding the Chick-Fil-A guy (S Truett Cathy), I really don't see anything that would qualify him as a "nut", unless it's a general statement against those align their business beliefs closely with their religious beliefs. Joe Hova, could you please explain?

Five Guys has a Madison location on State Street. I haven't tried it (not being a burger fanatic) but keep hearing good things about it.

I go to school in DC with a bunch of Five Guys and I just don't get the big deal about it. Yeah they are greasy (using it as a good thing, especially on Saturday mornings after going out Friday night) and the fries arent bad, but the burger itself is not amazing. It seems like I could make the same burger at home with not much effort. However, In-N-Out is by FAR the best fast food burger. I live out in San Diego and everytime I go home for school breaks the first place I stop on the way home is In-N-Out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love In n Out but I also love Culver's. For those that have tried both, which is better? In N Out fries win in a knockout for sure.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived