Brewer Fanatic

Just a thought When Sheets Returns.

brewmann04
I Have been thinking when Benny is ready to Return and Yo pitching as good as he is. I would have to think that the weak Link to go into The Pen is Suppan. Yes i know we threw alot of Money at him but as of Now Cappy looks like he has regained his Form and Bush have been Very constant over his past 8 starts,and Claudio well the team just wins in his starts. The Bottom Line is that they are in a playoff race and have to put out the team best 5 starters.

You answered your own question, he makes too much for them to justify a move to the pen, plus he is the only pitcher in the rotation with postseason experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suppan pitch a pretty solid 2nd half either.

When you throw in them wanting to limiting Yo's innings, it makes it a pretty easy decision.

Gallardo is quickly running out of innings, if the Brewers plan to limit him to 170. I gotta believe Yo goes back to the pen, unless the Brewers do something between now and then to limit his work (like skipping his starts when there is an off day, etc).

Still, this discussion is a long way away. Let's get Sheets back and then worry about this problem. By then, knock on wood, another starter may need to miss some starts, too.

if they want to keep Yo stretched out for the postseason, they can go to a 6-man rotation. However, I was thinking of this the other day, and I think Melvin and Yost will base the post-season rotation on "who can pitch out of the pen". So they'll go Sheets, Cappy, Suppan in the rotation, the other 3 to the pen.

I'd be shocked if Gallardo doesn't go back into the bullpen for the first few weeks that Sheets is back just to limit his innings before a playoff run. That being said....Suppan has actually been pretty decent his last 5 starts. I don't know what you expected when we signed him, but I expected him to make a start every 5th day, and keep the team in check where we have a good chance to win. His last 5 starts:

7/20 SF L 5 innings, 3 ER's

7/15 Col W 6 innings, 2 ER's

7/7 @Was L 5 innings, 4 ER's

7/2 @Pit W 5 innings 3 ER's

6/27 Hou W 6 innings 3 ER's

So basically he is 3-2 with a 5.00 ERA. Hardly CY Young material, but we didn't sign Cy Young, we signed Jeff Suppan.

The god thing about the trend of his last 5 starts being better than the May and June starts is that he is historically a pretty good pitcher in August and September and this year's trends seem to indicate that he will continue to pitch better.

If he could have gotten through the 6th inning in those 3 games he only went 5, it would lower the ERA to: 4.50 which is what I expected from him.

Suppan really hasn't been that bad. He's been very average, but many teams would kill to have a # 4 or 5 pitcher of his caliber. 8-8 with a 4.92 ERA...nothing to brag about, but not awful. Just saying.

Honestly, though, having too many starters is a great problem to have. When is the last time the Brewers could really say they had too many pitchers that could be reasonably plugged into the rotation?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So far this year Yo has thrown 118 innings, the Crew has 62 more regular season games this year, and Yo should have roughly 52 innings left to keep the pace they want him on. So that would figure to be roughly 12 more starts this year, so I'm thinking if they skipped Yo for about 2 starts, maybe 3 he could remain in the rotation. That's assuming roughly 6 innings per start.

All in all, if he's the number 5, and could even be skipped a couple times due to scheduling, he could remain in the rotation when Sheets returns! Any thoughts/comments?

Quote:
Suppan really hasn't been that bad. He's been very average, but many teams would kill to have a # 4 or 5 pitcher of his caliber. 8-8 with a 4.92 ERA...nothing to brag about, but not awful. Just saying.

Yea, the thing is, we didn't sign him to be a number 4 or 5, we signed him to be a number 3 and to help save the BP. We need him to do that in the second half.

I Have been thinking when Benny is ready to Return and Yo pitching as good as he is. I would have to think that the weak Link to go into The Pen is Suppan. Yes i know we threw alot of Money at him but as of Now Cappy looks like he has regained his Form and Bush have been Very constant over his past 8 starts,and Claudio well the team just wins in his starts. The Bottom Line is that they are in a playoff race and have to put out the team best 5 starters.

Doesn't it take a lot of extra effort to capitalize all those random words? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The bottom line is this: No matter how good Yo is pitching, a start in October is worth more than a start in August. He has a limit, it will be adhered to, so you might as well decide when you want to use those innings. I choose Sept/Oct.

Quote:
The bottom line is this: No matter how good Yo is pitching, a start in October is worth more than a start in August. He has a limit, it will be adhered to, so you might as well decide when you want to use those innings. I choose Sept/Oct.

Exactly, TC. That's what I've been saying here ever since the decision to put Gallardo into the rotation for Sheets was made: Gallardo will be of more value down the stretch than he will be right now. Look at how Verlander wore down towards the end of last season. Could that happen to Gallardo? You betcha... if not worse.

I know we all want to "win now" but we sometimes seem to lose the fact that this team could keep winning for several years. And a hurt Gallardo (from over-use and increasing his innings too quickly) could slightly damage those plans. Remember: "Win now" does not mean "win at all costs."

Really, Yo has a limit, but it's also not a statistical fact that he can't exceed it. The reality is that he can exceed it, then next year they treat him very carefully. I'd advocate the 6-man rotation in September IF they want him to start in the post-season. If they want Yovani in the pen, then they should go with a 5-man rotation in Sept. I can't say it is ill-advised or whatnot.

One question I've been meaning to ask...did Yo throw in Fall Instrucs last year? If so, then he probably threw another 10-20 innings last year, which increases his maximum workload

Let it play out. First, we don't know how long Sheets will be out. Secondly, a trade could still be made involving Vargas. Suppan could get on a roll. Lots of things could happen over the next month.

I have pointed out before (and I see it posted above again) something that's very important. The Brewers have 6 off days in Aug and Sept. That's potentially 6 starts Yo could skip. That would save 40+ innings and keep him fresh for October.

Archived