Brewer Fanatic

Samuel Eto'o going to Uzbekistan?

Diskono

This is so ridiculous, I just had to post it. I love it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3831057,00.html

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o is considering an offer to play in the Uzbekistani league. For those who don't follow European soccer, this would be like A-Rod leaving the Yankees to sign with a team in...well, Uzbekistan. Apparently he just flew in this morning to discuss a contract - the team's website even has pictures of Eto'o meeting with club officials. I can't think of anything like this happening before, in any sport.

Ok, that's crazy. It would be unheard of if he went to like Russia or Greece (or some similar "2nd tier" Champions League team) but Uzbekistan??? Seriously, they're probably offering more money, but he was already making A LOT of money. Is twice A LOT of money worth moving to Uzbekistan and dominating the league?

Eto'o better get paid up front. I've heard stories about basketball players in 2nd tier Eastern European leagues getting stiffed on their salaries.

From what I've heard, southpaw, Ronaldinho is indeed with Milan now.

Aaron Krickstein played injured in some little Asian tourney during his prime, because of a huge appearance fee. He never recovered and was a shell of himself the rest of his career.

He never saw a penny of that money. They told him it would be paid eventually, but it never was.

BTW, I should clarify that I know Uzbekistan is not in Europe, I was just saying that some of these smaller countries sometimes try to compete athletically with their bigger brethren but don't actually have the money to do it, despite whatever promises are made.

I guess Eto'o may have scared off the "top tier" european clubs with his confrontational and undiscipline behavior the last few years, so the best money offer he got may be from Uzbekistan.

Barca's got a new manager Josep Guardiola, a longtime Barca and Spainish international player, who prefers the more discipline "blue-collar" type players in his team. Recently, Barca had signed a few under-rated players such as Alexander Hleb (a very good attacking midfielder from Arsenal) and Gerard Piqué ( a good, young and big defender from Man United). Along with Messi, Henry, Márquez etc, they still have a very good team and I hope they beat Real Madrid next season.

This Uzbek team must have some crazy rich Russian mafia owner. Last week, they signed another player from Vasco da Gama, which probably wasn't cheap...it looks like they're in the quarterfinals of the Asian Champions League, so maybe they are trying to buy that. I don't know why, I'd probably spend the money bribing UEFA to let them in.

As for Barca, they have Bojan Krki? coming up too...scored 10 goals last season as a 17 year old. Hleb is fantastic, and Piqué looks like a good prospect. I think they'll be alright.

Archived