Brewer Fanatic

Sonic drive-ins coming to Wisconsin!

TracyThom

http://milwaukee.about.com/b/2008/06/28/sonic-drive-in-coming-to-milwaukee.htm

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but I am thrilled. We have been seeing their commercials for years, but here they come. I love Sonic. Whenever I get down south, I always stop at them. I love their slushes and ice cream. Good stuff.

I hope the Milwaukee openings will not have the same problems the St. Paul opening had. (3 hour waits) http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/20646009.html?location_refer=Homepage:highlightModules:6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, this was the best thing I heard all month. I lived in Louisiana for 6 years and would drive between Milwaukee and New Orleans a few times a year. This was a few years ago, so we didn't yet have Steak N Shake in Milwaukee. When I was heading South, my first stop for food would be the Steak N Shake near St. Louis and my second would be the first Sonic I'd come across. Heading North, I'd get my last Sonic fix and then look forward to St. Louis for my Steak N Shake.

I absolutely love Sonic's Cheesefries. They also do the Frito Chili Pie thing, which I know a lot of people love. They have these sandwiches on Texas Toast - I love the chicken one. So tasty and so awful for you, I'm sure.

Also, if I could drink nothing but Strawberry Limeade for the rest of my life, I'd be extremely happy. I think it's just mean that they have these commercials here for 99 cent drinks during "happy hour." I'd be there every day.

Ok, crazy rant finished.

I have one about 4 blocks away and probably haven't been there in 3 years. The food is really greasy, though the Chili Frito Pie is good. My girlfriend is a big fan of Cherry Limeade at happy hour.

I'm assuming they'll have a dining room like a few down here have, as WI winters are not real conducive to drive-in joints.

Community Moderator

I also stopped at one on the way back from New Orleans and I must say that it was a good experience. The breakfast burrito was fabulous.

However, I wonder if 20 stores is a bit excessive, considering Milwaukee is Culver's and Kopp's territory. Sonic is good, but I'd still rather have my frozen custard.

I hope the Milwaukee openings will not have the same problems the St. Paul opening had. (3 hour waits) http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/20646009.html?location_refer=Homepage:highlightModules:6

People are truly insane. Sonic is pretty good but it's still just fast food, and it's not going anywhere. I love the occasional In-N-Out or Rubio's, and I miss Culver's badly, but no way I wait longer than 15 minutes for any of it, and even that's pushing it.

People are truly insane. Sonic is pretty good but it's still just fast food, and it's not going anywhere.

Yes they are. I was in Beaver Dam a couple of weeks ago.... They had just opened an Arby's, and the line circled the building and went out in the street. I realize that there is fascination with new restaurants, but hasn't everyone in Beaver Dam eaten at Arby's? I know if a Sonic opened local to me, I'd want to try it at some point, but I certainly would wait until the excitement died down.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I stopped at Sonic for the first time about a month ago only because I thought the commercials were hilarious."

All those commercials are improvised. The blond guy in the passenger seat teaches/performs improv at IO theater in Chicago. He's considered the best improviser in the country.

When In n Out first came to Phoenix there was a two hour wait at lunch.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

People are truly insane. Sonic is pretty good but it's still just fast food, and it's not going anywhere.

Yes they are. I was in Beaver Dam a couple of weeks ago.... They had just opened an Arby's, and the line circled the building and went out in the street. I realize that there is fascination with new restaurants, but hasn't everyone in Beaver Dam eaten at Arby's? I know if a Sonic opened local to me, I'd want to try it at some point, but I certainly would wait until the excitement died down.

It reminds me of when it was announced that Krispy Kreme was coming to Madison. The Capital Times ran a five-column headline announcing the fact on its front page. You would have that thought it was the moon landing or something.

(I think Krispy Kreme has filed for Chapter 11, and The Capital Times has ceased production of its daily print edition. So that should tell you something about hype.)

Sonic is pretty nasty in my book. In the 4 years I lived in Kansas City, I ate there once and it wa on the lower end of the fast food scale. There are a ton of them in KC and there always seemed to only be about 2 or 3 cars at them every time I went by.

Better than me?

Don't confuse witticism with improvisation.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good thing I guess. I'll go on a fast food binge every other month or so sadly, so I'll probably give Sonic a visit. I remember thinking they had some good stuff on their commercial one time and then I looked up the closest one and it was like in St. Louis which really peeved me since they why would you run commercial here then?

My biggest question with a Sonic in Wisconsin is, what will happen during the winter? Would they stay open? If they do, who would want to work there? I know I wouldn't want to be delivering food to people's cars when it's -2 outside. Heck, I wouldn't want to be outside delivering food to people's cars if it was under 40! But that's just me.

Craig,

People in wisconsin are tough.

Archived