Brewer Fanatic

How would the Brewers rate their prospects?

How would the Brewers rate their prospects?

In the aftermath of the CC Sabathia/La Porta trade, I started to wonder what the Brewers' Power 50 would look like. They certainly seem to have one or two players they consider "untouchable" - and while CC Sabathia is a great pitcher, I don't think the Brewers viewed LaPorta as their top prospect.

So prior to trading LaPorta, how do you think the Brewers would have rated their prospects? (Most untouchable first)

1. Alcides Escobar
2. Mat Gamel
3. Jeremy Jeffress
4. Matt LaPorta
5. Angel Salome
6. Taylor Green
7. Jonathan Lucroy
8. Zach Braddock
9. Michael Brantley
10. Lorenzo Cain

It's really hard to gauge how the Brewers feel about Brantley or Green - but I certainly think the Brewers viewed Escobar as their top prospect.

According to Danny Knobler at CBS, one pro scout agrees with your placement of LaPorta fourth:

Even after trading for CC Sabathia, the Brewers are well-positioned if they want to make another deal. Matt LaPorta was the key piece in the Sabathia trade, but one scout said LaPorta was no better than the fourth best prospect on Milwaukee's Double-A Huntsville club. "(Third baseman Mat) Gamel is an impact guy, and so is (shortstop Alcides) Escobar," the scout said. "And (outfielder Michael) Brantley has a chance to be an All-Star. For a lot of people, including us, LaPorta is going to be no better than an average everyday player."

Ironically, I just posted in the trading with Baltimore thread that I get the feeling that the Brewers value Escobar more than anyone. I'd agree with that top 10 for the most part. Maybe swap Salome and Green. Left handed bat, weaker organizational depth where he can play, Canadian.

Look around the majors at the people playing shortstop. There are great gloves like Vizquel. If the stories about Vizquel's randy ways are true, he's probably a grandfather. Hanley Ramirez, all star, is kind of a sloppy fielder. There really aren't that many Jose Reyes types.

When I hear criticism of Escobar, its because he didn't spring from the womb with better plate discipline. He's young. He's skinny and still physically maturing. Think about what it means that it is pretty much universally stated that he could easily start in the majors based on his glove. Has anyone who has seen him thought that he wasn't special? And right now he's hitting really well. But alas, he hasn't been hitting enough extra base hits since he was 17, so those talent "evaluators" don't like him?

Did you watch him in the televised spring training games?

Formerly AKA Pete

I'm glad the above quoted scout said that Michael Brantley has a chance to be an All-Star. I truly hope he is not the PTBNL in the Sabathia deal. He has amazing plate discipline for such a young player, speed enough to play center field, a high batting average, and a high enough OBP to be a lead-off hitter. Match that with Don Money's assertion that Brantley is the best player on the team because of his smart baserunning and overall smarts in baseball, he should be rated higher on the list.

Yes, I pray that Brantley isn't a PTBNL. Escobar will be in Milwaukee next year at a minimum to replace Counsell. And Gamel was clearly more untouchable than LaPorta. Gamel could put up Wade Boggs type number being a lefty hitter at third.

2010 Infield

3B - Gamel

SS - Escobar

2B - Hardy

1B - Fielder

What happens to Weeks? Well, I have no friggin clue.

It's been confirmed that the PTBNL was not anyone in AA (except maybe Cain who got promoted from A at the time of the trade).

Where? Personally I don't want to lose Green, Brantley or LuCroy but speculation says it is one of them.

I think you've got the top five in order, after that, I have no idea. That's actually a good thing about this system right now, most of those names are interchangeable, which is a sure sign of depth.

As for Escobar, the Brewers don't need to hurry. He is indeed still developing physically, and sure, he could use some more ABs, to see if his plate discipline improves - but the bottom line is, he's only 21, there is time.

Escobar will not sit on the bench next year. He is a SS, and until he fails or is moved, he's not going to play anywhere else.

Yeah, I'd much rather have him playing every day in AA or AAA than once a week in Milwaukee.

Ken Rosenthal on Escobar:

Adding to the inevitability that the Brewers will trade shortstop J.J. Hardy this offseason: One scout who attended the Southern League All-Star team called it "The Alcides Escobar show," referring to the Brewers' top shortstop prospect. Escobar, 21, might struggle offensively after he reaches the majors, but scouts consider him a defensive wonder. The Brewers are telling teams he is untouchable.

As far as the Brantley discussion goes, I'm highly doubting that he is the PTBNL because he's being blocked by Sizemore. There's no reason to take another CF if you've got one of the best (if not the best) player at the position blocking him.

Odds are on Green or Lucroy.

I just wanted to add that the reason I had Brantley so low in my listing (9) was mostly based on the rumors that he was the PTBNL. In addition, the fact the he keeps playing 1B is very puzzling.

He could slide anywhere between #4 and #9.

Archived