Brewer Fanatic

How About Luis Pena?

ryanbraun75
I'm glad he's in the organization and think he has a decent chance at making it with the Brewers eventually but what makes anyone think he'd be successful in the majors right now? I haven't seen him pitch in person but all the information I've read on him and the stats show he has a hard time with control at times. I don't think that would translate well in a promotion at this time. The other factor is the Brewers have publicly stated they are going for it this year. That was made quite clear with the Sabathia acquisition. Why would they then address their bullpen woes with a large question mark which is what Pena is at this time. They'd be more likely to move Pena and other prospect (s) for a decent reliever already in the majors.

Yes the Brewers are going for it this year and IMO going for it would involve substituting a talented but unproven hard throwing relief pitcher for a crappy and proven RP in the form of Gagne and Mota. In fact if the Brewers got rid of Mota or Gagne it would be further proof that we are "going for it" and not just protecting the investment. Teams that are "Going For It" don't stick with Gagne's or Mota's for very long.

Who was the last player whom the Brewers drafted, came up through the system, and became a bonafide star RP?

I think Plesac was the last Brewer All-Star to fit this description. As for serviceable pitchers...um...Mike Adams and Valerio De Los Santos?

Who was the last player whom the Brewers drafted, came up through the system, and became a bonafide star RP?

Doug Henry (1985 8th round) did save 28 games in 1992. Hardly a "star" though.

Plesac, Henry, and Bill Castro are the only 3 that ever served in the closer's role in the entire history of the team that were originally signed or drafted by the Brewers though they did also draft Doug Jones who came to prominence with several teams before returning to the Brewers late in his career.

Frank DiPino also was a Brewer non-drafted signee who went on to a nice career as a reliever after he was dealt in the Don Sutton deal .

Speaking of relievers, I notice Joe Bateman doing a good job at Nashville since his promotion. I'm amazed that it's taken him until age 28 to get to AAA. This is a guy who once posted a sub 2 ERA in the hitter crazy California League and who's been solid at virtually every stop.

Mitch Stetter has a shot to have a nice big league career, though he'll never be a relief ace type of guy. And Tim Dillard should stick around for awhile too. But yah, the Brewers just haven't had a good track record developing relievers.

Bateman is a side-armer who doesn't throw particularly hard... I think once big league hitters figured out his delivery, he'd get hit pretty hard. But you never know.

Archived