Brewer Fanatic

How About Luis Pena?

ryanbraun75

Was just reported on ESPN Radio..

I think this is a great move. Stetter was a good left handed option out of the pen but had struggled lately. After Pena's performance last night in the AAA AllStar game he showed me a lot. An upper 90s fastball and a splitter in the lower 90s plus a slider. Pena IMO could be that guy the Brewers have been looking for to save their back end of the bullpen. A Great move..

How has Stetter struggled lately? In his last 10 innings he has allowed 8 base runners (4 hits, 4 BB), 2 runs, and had 12 K's. I like bringing Pena up but Mota is the one who needs to be sent down or I guess DFA.

This blows my mind...when I saw Pena's name in the first part of the thread title I fully expected to see Mota DFA'd at the last part.

I understand the money situation but in a year when they've signalled they're going for it it makes absolutely no sense to keep him lingering around.

I dearly apologize.. I thought this deal was official but i heard it wrong. They were all flirting with the idea of bringing up Pena and suggested that Stetter go down.. The deal isn't official. My apologies..

I too thought it was odd when they said Stetter. I think that Mota being traded or DFA'd is the way i see Pena getting up. I do want to see him up soon though. I believe that he is the kind of pitcher that if he throws strikes, can save the bullpen and help us get to the playoffs.

I believe that he is the kind of pitcher that if he throws strikes, can save the bullpen and help us get to the playoffs.
That's a lot to ask for out of a pitcher that is of such a young age. If he comes up and has any sort of success, I'll be happy because that would be an upgrade over Mota.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm confused....did Pena get called up?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I thought Pena was having problems all season finding the strike zone? I also assumed that once he figured that out he'd be called up. If the Brewers are doing this please, I repeat please, let it be Mota and not Stetter.

the guys on ESPN radio have no clue.

Water is wet... etc. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Pena certainly warrants a shot in the bullpen at least every bit as much as Gagne & Mota at this point. And honestly, given Yost's comments on how Gagne looks 'close' in terms of stuff or whatever, that makes me think Eric is 'safe' (well, that & 10M other reasons). Mota simply does not belong throwing meaningful MLB innings. I'd be fine with them keeping him as the 'long man', which in Ned-speak means you just throw garbage innings, be it 1 or 3.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If Pena could consistently throw strikes, he probably is on the big league club when Riske and Gagne initially went to the DL. He has the stuff, but late inning relievers can't succeed long term by walking a batter per inning.

Mota is surviving giving up a run per inning.

Pena was on TV last night in an all-star game, PCL versus IL. He pitched part of the 8th and the 9th. He had a hot fastball, but the IL all-stars hit him hard. They were sitting on the fastball. I'm not so sure he'll do well.
Formerly AKA Pete

I'm glad he's in the organization and think he has a decent chance at making it with the Brewers eventually but what makes anyone think he'd be successful in the majors right now? I haven't seen him pitch in person but all the information I've read on him and the stats show he has a hard time with control at times. I don't think that would translate well in a promotion at this time. The other factor is the Brewers have publicly stated they are going for it this year. That was made quite clear with the Sabathia acquisition. Why would they then address their bullpen woes with a large question mark which is what Pena is at this time. They'd be more likely to move Pena and other prospect (s) for a decent reliever already in the majors.

Archived