Brewer Fanatic

Former Brewer Hideo Nomo retires from baseball

jwaltz
But how long will he stay retired? I wonder if he's already getting the itch?

Sources say the Brewers have moved on, but may "welcome him back, in a different role than before". Fans are concerned about what this will all mean for his legacy.

But how long will he stay retired? I wonder if he's already getting the itch?

Sources say the Brewers have moved on, but may "welcome him back, in a different role than before". Fans are concerned about what this will all mean for his legacy.

This thought/joke is pretty much spot on. Nomo did retire a couple times already. Most notably he "retired" in 1994 from Japanese baseball only to announce the next day that he was coming to America. It was a rather genius scheme to work his way around the system set in place by the "old boys club" that runs Japanese baseball. That incident, and the way he did it, forced the issue and allowed players to come here. Basically, he gave the system the middle finger and was despised by a nation. Ofcourse, he later became a sensation and was adored by that same nation.

For this reason Nomo probably one of my favorite players of all time.

Archived