Brewer Fanatic

OS question

DHonks

hey all. I've been a Windows user probably since 3.11, and I really enjoy the look and smoothness of Windows Vista on my 1.5 year old computer. I have a work computer (I'm a teacher) that is a MacBook, but I hate traveling with it. It's a bit heavy, and there's the fear of it getting stolen while on my personal time. I do a bit of traveling in summers and over school breaks, and am an internet/Brewers junky in need of a laptop. I'd like it to be very portable because I hate laptops that are a bit heavy/bulky. So I am very intrigued by the HP mini-note 2133. When traveling I only need a web-browser, email program, and WiFi. I'd like Office, but it's not necessary. My intent is to hold back all urges and NOT buy a second (or third, counting my work computer) good computer. Rather, my needs are for traveling only. In that case should I be considering the sharp looking HP Mini Note at $499 with Linux SUSE? Or should I hop on Newegg and get a 12" Gateway for around $700? Like I said, I'm trying to fight back all manly tech-buying urges to buy the newest and best, and instead am going for practical. But I've never used Linux, hence why I wanted to ask.

Thanks fellas

We're going to be looking for a laptop for the same purposes soon, too. The things really to look for in this type of laptop is screen size (17" would be much better on the eyes in the long run than 15") followed by memory. Though if you get the SuSE linux HP, memory isn't at as much of a premium as linux doesn't need as much. Plus, you can get OpenOffice free for linux. I also like the feel of SuSE as it's a very polished linux.

I really enjoy the look and smoothness of Windows Vista on my 1.5 year old computer

I knew there had to be at least one. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If you wanted super portable, you could get something in the ultra mobile class like an Eee..

Yeah, I like the Eee's a lot. I have my eye on this one.

I bought my 13 year old daughter one for about $350-$400 -- (I think mine may have had less RAM than Kat's object of affection) -- and it is one of my best purchases of the last few years, she uses it for WWW, IM, email, word processing for 7th grade type things, etc... It is incredibly efficient and durable.

She needed a computer, and we didn't have the space for a desktop, and I didn't want to fork out for a HP/PB type laptop.

I would certainly recommend the EEE for appropriate applications.

I've looked at the EEE, but I figured the HP Mini Note's reviews about a superior keyboard/screen made it at least a worthy upgrade. I was more or less concerned about SUSE Linux as opposed to Windows.

As to why I like Vista, it's very smooth, and I have only a fraction of the program faults that I had with Win 95, 98, or XP. I'm not a programmer or an IT person, so I haven't had to deal with the problems that Vista can cause. For a basic-to-slightly advanced user, Vista is a very nice OS. But I fear that on these Ultra-portable computers it would be a pain. Hence my curiosity about SUSE

Archived