Brewer Fanatic

What's Sabathia's first homerun ball worth to the Brewers? I'll tell you!

I was part of a group in the Benz Field Haus at last Sunday's game

The Sabathia home run ball bounced off the chest of a guy in our group, and was then recovered by another member of our group

The Milwaukee Brewers offered the following to get the ball back, A Sabathia sign ball, and 4 tickets to a future game, don't know how good of seats. Each person got this, the guy who got it, and the gut it bounced off of.

I think it's cool that the Brewers gave something to the guy it bounced off of, but personally I would have held out for more. I would at least want to meet Sabathia, and get a signed jersey, but thats just me.

A friend of a friend got the 5th home run ball from April 22, 2006 (5 HR inning) and I know he never reached a deal with the team (at least in the first month or two after, I know the team got balls 1-4 back)

FWIW, I sit in the first row right above the field house right next to where it landed.

On topic: I would give a ball back for whatever they are willing to give me. I would ask for one thing: the opprotunity to hang out with the pitchers during bp one day. Stand around the cage and see what they are working on and then tire myself out shagging balls out there.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I am not materialistic at all (what's the opposite of materialistic?), so I wouldn't want stuff for it really. I don't really have a desire to just meet a guy, I've got nothing to say to him. I'd probably just give it back for the tickets.

(Though a job or internship in the front office would be awesome, or even just an interview...)

(what's the opposite of materialistic?)
Anti-matter.

I would probably just take the tickets, too. Or whatever their first offer is. I think it's in my best interest to not meet professional athletes or Hollywood movie stars.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Lunch with Uecker would probably be a major let down since he is just a grumpy old man. He'd probably leave you with the bill and not say much making the entire situation awkward.

Someone I know was a bat boy for the Brewers and got to eat with some of the players and Uecker two different times. He said both times Bob was really drunk and a jerk to everyone.

I would be happy with the four free tickets. Even if they're only Terrace seats, that's already a $60 dollar value. Add the signed ball and it's even cooler.

I'd hold out for a Racing Sausage....probably Cinco. He's my nephew's favorite, so it would keep him entertained for hours when I have to do my annual babysitting. But seriously, what could the guy who had the ball bounce off his belly hold out for? Did he even submit a list of demands?

i would like to meet him for the autograph.

there was just an article in SI about the guy that caught mcgwire's 70th and that is what he held out for. cards said no way to him. strange.

I'd like one official at-bat as a Milwaukee Brewer, just so i'm in the books.

come to think of it, i'd like an audience with Attanasio--not for Brewer talk, but for financial advice. I bet he could turn those four free tickets into six!

all this talk of Uecker being a jerk is shattering just about every unrealistic and childlike vision I've had of him.

I have my doubts that Uecker is that big of a jerk like everyone is claiming (though I base this on nothing). I think he is probably a fairly private person, based on what I've heard, and isn't the kind of type to just strike up a conversation with anybody.

And hey, if he wants to get tanked at a dinner, I say that's fine with me. He's earned the right.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I have met and talked with Uecker on at least 4 occasions, and I don't want to say "split personality" but, 1 time he was a jerk, twice he was real cool, the other time just middle of the road, I also heard both extremes from other people who have met and talked to him

I can't really tell my best Uecker story here, the cuss filter would blow up

The general similarities in Uecker stories seem to be that he is "a jerk" when having to do something out of his way, or bothered when he is away from the park, on his own time

As for the ball, I would be giving up an awesome thing, I would want something just as awesome back. I have a 20 pack, and go to 5-10 games on top of that, so the tickets really don't have the same worth to me as meeting the guy or getting a jersey (even if the $$$ value is the same). The people who made the deal, (which is fine for them) weren't crazy rabid Brewer fans, so the deal worked for them. I give the Crew huge props for giving anything to the guy the ball bounced off of, very classy.

I have met and talked with Uecker on at least 4 occasions, and I don't want to say "split personality" but, 1 time he was a jerk, twice he was real cool, the other time just middle of the road, I also heard both extremes from other people who have met and talked to him

So we are to gather that Uecker has different "moods," as if he is some type of biological organism. Fascinating.

Spoken like a true Vulcan, OldSchoolSnapper. This whole, if you feel cranky on a given day, and make an enemy for life thing is the biggest thing I would not like about being a pro athlete or any other kind of celebrity. *oops, forgot I was reading the backlog, didn't mean to bump a bit old of a thread

Archived