Brewer Fanatic

08/08/2006: Brewers (Ohka) vs. Cubs (Marmol), 7:05 CT

thablingster

Milwaukee Brewers

Tomo Ohka (3-2, 3.57)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.7867e2c8a8004fbf872a2cd1129f0d8f.brewers_rockies_baseball_dxf104.jpg

Lifetime against the Cubs, Ohka is 1-1 with a 6.10 ERA in four starts.

The Brewers have lost seven of their last eight series overall and are 8-16 since a series-opening win over the Cubs on July 6 pushed their record to 44-43.

vs.

Chicago Cubs

Carlos Marmol (4-5, 5.09)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060803/capt.fc0a7f14426549cfa6718774fd8e8fc4.diamondbacks_cubs_baseball_cxc105.jpg

Marmol is 1-2 with a 9.00 ERA in his last three starts, and is coming off a five-inning effort against Arizona on Thursday in which he allowed seven runs in a 10-2 loss.

The Cubs have won 10 of their last 14 games and are coming off their first winning homestand since the season opener from April 7-13.

Hopefully we left our offense at Miller Park, and when the team returns to the locker room today they'll find it and decide to use it.

And please, no one say this is a must win game/series, or we are already bound to lose. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif ... Cue the fighting Okra!

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the types of games that make me want to puke. Carlos Marmol is exactly the type of pitcher who gives us problems despite his high ERA and tendency to stink it up against the rest of the league.

I hope the Brewers show lots of patience when this kid starts to get wild and show poor command. Last time they helped him out by swinging at dumb pitches and swinging for the fences. They better learn from last time. And please no more swinging at the first pitch after Marmol walks a few.

This is a series that I cannot get up for at all. The best case senario (Brewers sweep) means nothing because they go on the road right away and in all probability would undo a sweep in 1/2 a week. Even if they could manage a sweep it means nothing. That sucks.

Sorry to be the pessimist of the thread but in all likelihood I see the Crew only taking tonight's game and then dropping the next two to officially give up any hope of a WC berth. It pans out that way in my mind because of the pitching matchups this series. Ohka will (or should) beat Marmol. Then we have to face Cy Zambrano which is an automatic L (because Big Z killer El Caballo is in TX) and then Mark Prior. Our pitchers for the last two are Bush and Davis. What's there to be optimistic about knowing that? Just have a feeling....

It's like I'm a moth and the Brewers are a match....I'm drawn to it, even though I have a good suspicion as to what will happen. But, it's a roller coaster ride, and somewhere along the line, it's going to go up, and then down and up and down a few thousand more times, but I'm going to tune into the game.

To look at a pitching matchup and assume a loss (Zambrano vs Bush) is just silly. Maybe Bush pitches great and gives up 1 run over 7 innings. Maybe Fielder hits a 2-run homer off Zambrano and that's the only hit he gives up the whole game.

There are so many things that can happen. Aces don't always win. #5 pitchers don't always lose.

As for your Prior comment. It is the 2006 Mark Prior. Not the 2003 Mark Prior. He's been beatable this year.

I haven't been this excited for a series all season long. I'm so pumped to sit down tonight and watch the entire game. I think Ohka will be his usual solid self. We will take advantage of Marmol's wildness. This is a game that will propel us to our longest winning streak of the season.

Let's go Brewers. Go Yost. Go Mench. Go Bell. Go Graffy.

Quote:
I'd just like to see a nice, good old fashioned, bench clearing brawl. That would take the bad taste from the last month or so out of my mouth.

Kevin Mench can use his huge head to bust out the secret weapon--the headbutt. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Quote:
Mike Rollins-I mean this in a nice way-I want some of what you are drinking. I need it bad!

Hey when you've followed them since 1985. (Basically everything post-world series). You just learn to deal with the struggles. I really do think this team is headed in the right direction. I think this team was headed to the post-season until they lost Hardy, Ohka, Sheets, Koskie, and now Weeks.

I actually thought they were still in good shape until Weeks went down too. I really do think that they will have a week where they run off 6 or 7 in a row. Maybe that will be the last week in September when it is too late. But I think it's going to be this week. Starting tonight. At home. Against the Cubs.

Why not us? None of the other teams really strike any fear in me. At all.

Mike I would just like to tell you that it is refreshing to hear someone understand how long its been since even talking about being 4.5 out. Instead you get these people, whos only purpose to coming to this board (i guess) is to say how bad the team is, which players suck, and anything else that they dislike. It is old and you are very refreshing. But they are also the people who are first to say how great the team is when they are winning games and playing well. Its a great rollercoaster so hold on, you never know what will come out next. But thanks for your thoughts.

Chicago Cubs Milwaukee ------------ --------- Pos Player HR RBI AVG. Pos Player HR RBI AVG. --- ------ -- --- ---- --- ------ -- --- ---- CF Pierre, Juan 1 25 .276 CF Gross, Gabe 8 30 .265 SS Izturis, Cesar 1 14 .250 2B Graffanino, Tony 0 1 .308 C Barrett, Michael 13 43 .329 1B Fielder, Prince 21 58 .287 3B Ramirez, Aramis 25 72 .279 LF Mench, Kevin 1 6 .241 RF Jones, Jacque 17 53 .285 SS Hall, Bill 24 58 .271 LF Murton, Matt 6 39 .295 RF Jenkins, Geoff 10 55 .254 1B Mabry, John 3 12 .216 3B Bell, David 6 34 .274 2B Cedeno, Ronny 4 29 .259 C Miller, Damian 6 35 .264 P Marmol, Carlos (4-5, 5.09) P Ohka, Tomo (3-2, 3.57) 

Forget the wild card, what makes this series big is that the Cubs are only 5 games back of the Brewers. Lose 2 of 3 and they get within 4. Get swept and they are right on the heels of the Brewers only 2 back.

As discouraging as this year has been imagine finishing behind the Cubs who have struggled most of the year and will spend plenty in the offseason to get better.

Carlos Marmol is exactly the type of pitcher who gives us problems despite his high ERA and tendency to stink it up against the rest of the league.

If you looked at things more realistically you wouldn't constantly set yourself up for such strong disappointment. The guy has a 5.09 ERA in 58.1 career IP. He's a young, promising rookie who's still learning to pitch in the bigs. You make it sound like he stinks and every team has crushed him so far except the Brewers. That's just not true.

Quote:
We just have to win most, if not all our remaining series.

Is that really realistic?

Its a lot more realistic of a goal then running off 10 in a row. If the Brewers win every series for the rest of the year that would be a good thing.

Quote:
t is refreshing to hear someone understand how long its been since even talking about being 4.5 out.

I haven't been one to complain or spew doom and gloom on this site yet, but I'm am going to say that being 4.5 games out results more from the fact that the team play OK early and are now in a pitful NL. I just don't see them overcoming teams like the Arizona, LA or Cincinnatti without weeks and a productive outfield. I am excieted about next year too early...again. For about a week or so now I have been watching the Brewers as I always have for the development of certain players--Fielder and Gross are all that is left to interest me. Hall is a surprise which has made the season worthwhile at this point alone.

Archived