Brewer Fanatic

Infield Fly rule question

Patrick425
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is obvious, but I just want to confirm. Let's say there is an infield fly rule situation. The batter hits an infield pop up that is right above the 1st base line. The umpire signals for the infield fly rule, not know if the ball will land foul or fair. For whatever reason (bad communication, error, sun, wind, etc) the ball falls untouched just on the foul side of the foul line (and stays in foul territory). Now, normally when the umpire signals for an infield fly, the batter is automatically out. However, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that the batter can't be out on a ball that falls in foul territory and if the pop up was clearly in foul territory to begin with the umpire would not have called for an infield fly rule (since there would really be no need to call it). I'm guessing that the ruling on this would be that the infield fly that was called by the ump would be reversed and it would just be ruled a foul ball and the batter would continue to bat (and not be out). Correct?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

- Rule 2.00 (Foul Ball) Comment: A batted ball not touched by a fielder, which hits the pitcher's rubber and rebounds into foul territory, between home and first, or between home and third base is a foul ball. -

Slightly off topic, but... how often does THIS happen? It must have happened at least once if they had to make a rule about it...

another baseball/softball rules question that I'm confused about, and I saw last night in the all-star game. I ump little league games and softball games for a summer job type of thing. (its not that serious of an environment but I want to get the call right)

What if a ground ball bounces in fair territory but heads towards foul territory short of the basepath, and the fielder reaches his arm over and catches the ball before it hits the ground in foul territory.

The ball hitting the rubber I actually saw once. It was late in a high school game and the dirt had been dug out in front of the rubber. The batter hit a line drive, it hit the rubber and bounced of the fence between the third base dugout and home plate.

On the ground ball going foul, where the ball is determines whether it is foul, not where it last touched the ground.

I think it would be foul tbone. I had an arguement with afew of my teamates in softball. They thought it mattered where your feet were. I insisted its where the ball was. I then told our left fielder, to make sure his feet were in foul territory on a can o corn to the line(1 swinging strike = an out). They all said...ohhhh, good point. Thus, I think it would be foul. Id love to be enlightened.

As an ASA umpire who has umpired at the college level, it has nothing to do with the feet. It's where the ball is touched in relation to the line. On the original question, Pops Of Andrew is absoultely corrected. The infield fly hand signal is given, while shouting, "Infield Fly Rule, if Fair"

Yes, it's the position of the ball. The next time some buddies start talking about where the fielder's feet are, ask them if it matters where the feet are when the ball bounces over the 3B bag & into LF/foul territory for a double. It's all about the position of the ball. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived