Brewer Fanatic

08/11/2006: Brewers (Capuano) @ Braves (Smoltz), 6:35PM CDT

Fike85

Seriously...some of you people bash Yost, Turnbow, or whomever upsets you on the spur of the moment. Granted sometimes it may be justified, but sheesh, sometimes some of you embarass me with the teret like comments you make after a loss. Some of you may even be the fans that embarass many of us at games, work, etc. Sorry if I offend anyone...just my thoughts.

As a side note, the ump missed the call on Jones. When a player turns around, waits and looks at the ump, he knows it was a strike.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yost totally lost that game for us. I dont blame Turnbow because it is obvious that he needs several solid outings in non pressure situations before he can pitch in a 1-1 tie in the ninth. As far as this offense is concerned its terrible. Hart is the only outfielder on this team worth keeping and Bell is just flat out terrible as well.

Thunder..you have not obviously read what I or alot of people are PO'd about...It's about Yost making constant bad decisions with the pitchers...sheesh..Turnbow has sucked forever this season..it's not piling on or jumping to conclusions or spur of the moment...screw the Umps...that's loser talk..blame the manager in this case...and blame TURNBOW...I am sick of rationalizations...I can't even continue...

Quote:
blame the manager in this case...and blame TURNBOW...I am sick of rationalizations...I can't even continue...

So I'm supposed to blame Turnbow for actually throwing a perfect pitch to someone?

What a joke this is becoming.

I'm all for the "Ned's gotta go" camp, because I think he does, but the last thing we need to do is criticize him when he makes a move that should have paid off.

Would you rather have Kolb out there to walk in the winning run? Or Geremi Gonzalez? Give me a break. Helling was the only viable option, but I'm sure Ned would rather have Helling available tomorrow in case Sheets pulls a muscle sneezing or whatever.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Quote:
It was a strike but:

1) it missed the target badly

2) Turnbow had no control

Those things will tend to get strikes called balls all the time.

That's nice. Defend the umpire for being a gutless puke, and blame Turnbow for actually doing something right for a change.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Quote:
Seriously...some of you people bash Yost, Turnbow, or whomever upsets you on the spur of the moment. Granted sometimes it may be justified, but sheesh, sometimes some of you embarass me with the teret like comments you make after a loss. Some of you may even be the fans that embarass many of us at games, work, etc. Sorry if I offend anyone...just my thoughts.

Two walks by Turnbow should be a warning sign to any manager with even half of a brain. It means you have to take something off your fastball to get it over the plate and that makes it easy to hit. Especially when Turnbow has a proven track record of imploding in these situations.

Ned set Derrick up for failure. What exactly about a 1 - 1 game in the bottom of the ninth on the road is an opportunity to readjust your mechanics against major league hitters? The Braves' 2 - 3 - 4 for crying out loud! Sure there was confidence to be won. and a whole lot more to be lost.

Step 1:

"Hi, my name is Ned, and I'm a Turnbowaholic"

the rest gets easier.

It took 5 months to get Ned into the Jenkinsaholic Anonymous re-hab. I don't expect much to happen soon.

Quote:
It means you have to take something off your fastball to get it over the plate and that makes it easy to hit. Especially when Turnbow has a proven track record of imploding in these situations.

You know what? You're right.

That fastball was so easy to hit that one of the best fastball hitters around whiffed badly on one that he tried to hit to Texas, then took the other one and got bailed out by an incompetent umpire.

But, yeah, Turnbow had to resort to throwing meatballs to Jones. That's exactly what happened.

I'm becoming convinced that some of you people don't actually watch the games, and you just wait until the result is in so you can cry about something.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I don't think most of us can argue it was a strike. And while the situation (2 outs, probably runner on second if he went) would have been better, in situations like that the pitcher needs to bear down and get the next out (EG: How Cordero has done after his defense betrays him). Turnbow didn't do that.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Yes, iluvlamp I have been reading all of the posts. Usually I just pass on commenting the idiotic comments some posters make.

Those of you who think Yost should be fired are nuts. Everyone can second guess a manager that's the beauty of hindsight. Not ONE of you could manage a professional baseball team at any level. Yost put Turnbow in because that was his best option. He plays the cards he is dealt with. If Yost would have brought in Helling, Shouse or anyone else and the team would have lost everyone who is bashing Yost would be the saying the same thing.

Quote:
ned yost is doing everything bobby cox taught him. we just don't have anything near the talent atlanta has had over the years

Great point and so true.

Edited to add to Madison's comments.

To me, the problem with Yost's move isn't that he didn't bring in Helling or Kolb or Shouse or Mom. It's that he had a seriously tough situation and decided to save his closer for a potential save opportunity.

Put your best pitcher in the game.

(That said, it's really hard to totally fault Yost for that because every other manager in baseball does that, no matter how dumb I might think it is.)

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I can't speak for others comments, but I specifically mentioned in the game thread that it was time to pull Turnbow. It wasn't hindsight. It's called learning from the past and having a feel for the game and what is about to happen.

Turnbow does not deserve that strike call. Smoltz does, Maddux does, glavine, clemens, the old boys... blaming an ump is weak.

I was taken aback by Powell's answer to the JS chat question today about how many wins can an excellent manager (leyland, garner, torre, sciosia, there was 1 more)add to a team... his answer was 10. and maybe more depending on positivity of clubhouse camaraderie.

this one we can hang right on yost. but gross' play is slipping into the shadows until the game-winning hit gets replayed over and over.

Quote:
Turnbow does not deserve that strike call. Smoltz does, Maddux does, glavine, clemens, the old boys... blaming an ump is weak.

I don't know. I have no recollection of anything being in the rule book about the strike zone changing depending on who is pitching and whether they "deserve" it or not.

Those making this argument are simply trying to find an excuse to blame Ned for this. Why bother saying anything rational when you can just react with emotion?

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

That's funny, I always assumed there was a standard strike zone for everyone

really?

game to game, ump to ump... top of the first to bottom of the ninth? you're really going to make that claim?

good night forum, we have lost ability to see reality.

Quote:
good night forum, we have lost ability to see reality.

Look in the mirror.

I'm not the one defending an umpire for calling a pitch that came over the inner half of the plate right above the hitter's kneecaps a ball.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Archived