Brewer Fanatic

Hypothetical rule question -- game winning sac fly

adambr2

Here's a hypothetical baseball situation that I'm wondering if the rule book addresses.

Team A and Team B are tied in the bottom of the 9th, Team A is batting. The bases are loaded with 1 out. The next batter for Team A drives one deep to right field. It's playable, but there's no way the RF can get the ball back in in time to prevent the sac fly.

Realizing this, the RF gets an idea. He stops the ball with his glove, putting it back up in the air but avoiding making the catch. With the ball now relatively under control, the RF repeatedly taps it in the air alternatively with the palm of his glove and his throwing hand, avoiding possessing the ball at any time, making his way back toward the infield until he is finally close enough to safely make the catch.

Is this legal?

I believe the ruling is, if a catch is made, the runner can tag on the initial contact of the ball with the defender (or his glove). So, if he ended up making the catch, the runner could have left on initial contact and if he dropped the ball, the runner would score anyways.

Basically every thing you can think of to bend a rule happened in the 1800's:

Blowing a bunted ball on the line foul - now illegal

Intentionally dropping a pop-up to get a double play - now illegal via infield fly, intentionally dropped ball

bobbling a ball to the infield - first touch

I'm sure there is more, but it is pretty hard to find a loophole 150 years in.

Archived