Brewer Fanatic

Hurdle to Pick Sheets to start!

Sundown Kid
I'm just hoping they don't make Sheets go 3 innings due to so many of the NL pitchers having pitched Sunday. Brandon Webb already came out and said he won't be pitching unless the NL runs out of pitchers, and Tim Lincecum threw a ton of pitches against the Cubs yesterday.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Its been confirmed that Sheets is indeed starting and Braun will be batting 7th

Sheets starts; Braun hitting 7th

By Tom Haudricourt
Monday, Jul 14 2008, 10:28 AM

New York - I'm at the All-Star game press conference at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Manhattan and as I first reported last night, NL manager Clint Hurdle just made it official that Brewers right-hander Ben Sheets will be starting Tuesday night against the AL at Yankee Stadium.

Sheets becomes the first Brewers pitcher to start an All-Star Game, an honor he is very excited about, in particular because he never has been in Yankee Stadium, which will be torn down after the season.

"It's a great honor," said Sheets. "I can guarantee you (Hurdle) is the most popular man in Louisiana today.

"I look forward to going out in the last All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium history. I've never been to Yankee Stadium, so I'm going to try to take it all in and enjoy myself."

Hurdle said Sheets became the favorite for him after he faced the Rockies at Miller Park in the middle of last week.

"I got to take a good luck at Ben in midweek," said Hurdle. "The fact that he struck out 11 of us in five inings kind of caught my eye. I'm real smart like that.

"I like everything about him. He's blue collar; he brings his lunch pail to work every day. I thought it would be an opportunity that he'd embrace. He has a lot of energy, a lot of passion. He's a perfect match for me."

Cleveland left-hander Cliff Lee is starting for the American League.

Brewers leftfielder Ryan Braun, voted onto the starting NL outfield in fan balloting, will be batting seventh in the NL lineup. Here is that complete lineup:

SS Hanley Ramirez, Fla

2B Chase Utley, Phil

1B Lance Berkman, Hou

DH Albert Pujols, Stl

3B Chipper Jones, Atl

RF Matt Holliday, Col

LF Ryan Braun, Mil

CF Kosuke Fukudome, Chi

C Geovany Soto, Chi

RHP Ben Sheets, Mil

Here is the AL lineup:

RF Ichiro Suzuki, Sea

SS Derek Jeter, NY

CF Josh Hamilton, Tex

3B Alex Rodriguez, NY

LF Manny Ramirez, Bos

DH Milton Bradley, Tex

1B Kevin Youkilis, Bos

C Joe Mauer, Min

2B Dustin Pedroia, Bos

LHP Cliff Lee, Cle

Congrats to Benny. I think they'll light him up. 3 runs in two innings and the loss. Hurdle's gotta be smarter than that?!

The National league is gonna get beat again because they don't know how to pick a pitching staff. You gotta load up on closers and let each one have an inning. Each pitcher comes in absolutely fresh and with his best stuff. 7-1 AL.

I am very excited about this even though I know his price tag will go up and there is additional risk to his arm. I think this is great for Ben and the Brewers franchise. It's about time we have Brewers players who are part of the main fabric of the game.

This is what it feels like to be Major League.

I love it.

Who would have thought we'd have TWO starters in the All Star Game? I'm pretty sure it's never happened for the Brewers before. Like others have pointed out, he probably won't pitch more than a couple innings, so I really don't think it's a big deal in the long run. It's tremendous exposure for the Brewers, and that is a great thing if you're a fan of the team.

1980 2B Paul Molitor

OF Ben Oglivie

1982 1B Cecil Cooper

SS Robin Yount

1983 C Ted Simmons

SS Robin Yount

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived