Brewer Fanatic

Hurdle to Pick Sheets to start!

Sundown Kid

That sucks. I want him ready to pitch for us. I don't care about the All Star game.

Huh? Usually the starter doesn't really go any longer than anybody else. This maybe means he pitches 2 innings instead of 1. Last year, no NL pitcher went more than 1 inning. Were you hoping he didn't make an appearance at all?

DougJones43 wrote:

Huh? Usually the starter doesn't really go any longer than anybody else. This maybe means he pitches 2 innings instead of 1. Last year, no NL pitcher went more than 1 inning. Were you hoping he didn't make an appearance at all?

I would prefer all our players to take a few days off to rest and recover for the 2nd half push.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would prefer all our players to take a few days off to rest and recover for the 2nd half push.

Well, that wasn't going to happen whether Sheets was starting the game or not. So, I'll gladly take the honor and Brewer recognition that accompanies Sheets starting the all-star game (in the last year of historic Yankee stadium!).

The recognition is definitely sweet. As long as it doesn't mess up his scheduled start in San Fran, which I don't think it does, it's fine. Funny how both Volquez and Lincecum pitched this weekend though, I'd imagine they were the top two choices otherwise.

seeing as no Brewer pitcher has ever started the all-star game (that I recollect, at least), it is a tremendous honor. It is something else that I can be proud of as a Brewer fan.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

seeing as no Brewer pitcher has ever started the all-star game (that I recollect, at least), it is a tremendous honor

Sheets is definitely the first. This was a Trivia Question during the WMLW broadcast the other night.

I like the idea that he's gonna start rather than relieve. I think it keeps him closer to his normal routine. And the fact that is is only two innings will keep him sharp for his start on Saturday.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

the only thing that I "fear" is Soto messing with him behind the plate and/or figuring some things out with Sheets when he catches him and then passing those "cheats" on to his Cubs teammates.

I guess Benny could counter that action, though by throwing a fastball when Soto calls for a curve in the dirt.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Congrats to Ben. I wonder if Sheets' recent 11 strikeout performance against the Rockies and Hurdle helped his cause a little bit? I think Volquez has been the hands down best starter in the NL this year so far, but as mentioned above with him and Lincecum pitching recently the duties fell to Sheets. Dan Haren would have been a fair choice as well IMO.

I am really excited to watch him pitch.

pitchleague[/b]]the only thing that I "fear" is Soto messing with him behind the plate and/or figuring some things out with Sheets when he catches him and then passing those "cheats" on to his Cubs teammates.

I guess Benny could counter that action, though by throwing a fastball when Soto calls for a curve in the dirt.

I don't think Soto will be able to dissect Benny more than he could by watching tape of him.

Not to downplay this distinct honor but Volquez, Webb and Lincecum (all with better "numbers" and perhaps more "deserving") were all unable to pitch based on how the rotations shaked out.

I'm just glad he beat out Zambrano and hopefully he doesn't throw his elbow off trying to get that extra yearly mil or two in front of a dozen suitors-to-be.

Good for Ben. The pricetag just went up a bit.

I really don't think that is the case, I doubt he is going to ask for $500,000 more a year just because he started an All Star game. Besides this has much less to do about him being the best in the NL so far as it does the fact the 1st choices pitched yesterday.

Who would have thought we'd have TWO starters in the All Star Game? I'm pretty sure it's never happened for the Brewers before. Like others have pointed out, he probably won't pitch more than a couple innings, so I really don't think it's a big deal in the long run. It's tremendous exposure for the Brewers, and that is a great thing if you're a fan of the team.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Badger Blogger: Zambrano to start All-Star Game

Hilarious...what a first half highlight that was.

Way to go Ben...well deserved. In a year where there are 3-5 guys all neck and neck, including Ben, hats off to Hurdle for going with the most experienced guy. Ben deserves this honor, not only for his accomplishments this year, but for what he has done over a stellar career. First Brewer ever to start the all-star game...huge honor for Ben and the franchise.

Braun hitting 7th probably means he only gets one AB unless the NL scores a bunch of runs early in the game.

And can we stop with the "XYZ means this players price just went up" talk. Sheets is having a good year and is a good pitcher. That determines his price. Going to the all-star game and starting are a result of him having a good year and being a good pitcher - it's not "extra". Same thing with Hart - the fans voted him in and so that means he automatically gets an extra million next year. Come on, be serious people.

Archived