Brewer Fanatic

CC at the plate

T B0NE 10

Seriously, Do you guys expect to see CC Sabathia pinch hitting for us? I think he could be a better option at times that the other CC or Dillion. How about even possibly DHing him in the AL games? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I know he wont be an awesome hitter, but I'd say he could be as effective at least as Brooks Kieschnick

Community Moderator

He doesn't seem to have the greatest swing in the world. That HR was pure muscle.

Still, I was kind of hoping they would let him bat in the 9th, even though I know it would be a terrible idea.

Remember when the brewers didn't have any pitchers who could hit at all other than circus acts like Brooks? Now we have a pitcher who has some pop, and he's no better than the second best hitting pitcher on our active roster. 3rd if Yovani wasn't on the DL. Manny Parra should be our first extra innings PHer. Then, depending on what we really need, I think Dave Bush might have a bit better chance at getting on base over all, but where pop is needed, go with CC. Or, when Suppan is back, after the all star break, if we just need a run to win or tie, bring him in with a runner on first and no outs as he's arguably the best sac bunter on the team.

If it is ever the 15th inning of a game and Mike Rivera is the only guy left on the bench, I can see Yost pinch hitting CC over Rivera-especially if the bases are empty. Other than that, probably not unless there is some freak accident or injury which would force Ned's hand.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If we got to the 15th inning I'd have to think Rivera would have pinch hit by then. As said above, I really only would forsee a pitcher pinch hitting in extra innings once all position players have been used. I do remember earlier this year Suppan needing to do the sac bunt thing as a PHer due to a short bench with people out due to injury but not on the DL. Hopefully we avoid having much of the short bench situation the rest of the year. Anyways, maybe CC can take over for Branyan in the 3b platoon when he's not pitching now that Russell has gone into a power drought.

In September I would let him PH and then bring in a Mel Stocker or TGJ to Pinch run if he gets on. Honestly yesterday I was almost bummed out when Counsell pinch hit for him in the 9th. Once they brought in Coco it had to be done though as I am not sure how CC would have fared against a pitcher like that.

When it comes to pitchers pinch-hitting, I have to fight images of JJ and Sal Fasano from conjuring up in my mind. And can you imagine a catcher trying to stand on the tracks while the locomotive is barreling down on him? It's enough to nickname the gent....Barrelman. Then again, can you imagine the similarities if it happened in the NLCS, with a certain similar name....Barrelman, meet Bartman (and I'm not talking Simpsons references). ANYWAY....CC at the plate? 2TO! Yovanni at the plate? .743OPS as a rookie. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you actually believe Yost would use CC or Yo as a primary line of offense), CC and Yo will never be on the same active roster in their careers.

He doesn't seem to have the greatest swing in the world. That HR was pure muscle.

Still, I was kind of hoping they would let him bat in the 9th, even though I know it would be a terrible idea.

Hey guys, newbie here...

I was hoping the same thing. The odds were actually pretty decent for him, I think. Unless they doubled up him and Hall at home, it wouldn't have been that bad (in which case we would have probably murdered Yost). And can you imagine the reaction from the crowd if he had driven in the winning run after throwing a complete game? We might have torn the fair pole down.

That being said, he needed to be taken out and I'm not a fan of pinch hitting him unless absolutely necessary.

Do you think he's a better hitter than Brooks Kieschnick?

That's a blasphemous question. But seriously, Kiesch had a career .759 OPS, which isn't good for an OF, but over a hundred points higher than Mike Hampton and above Dontrelle Willis, Zambrano, Bob Gibson and Warren Spahn. It'd put him at #4 in SI's best hitting pitchers of all time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/05/29/torre.hittingpitchers/index.html

Can we trade for that Walter Johnson guy? He sounds like he could probably help us in the bullpen. BIG fan of Walter Johnson!!! He's like the next Yovanni Gallardo. (Can we have a half-serious color? Probably wouldn't be the place for it, at least not until next year when Yo becomes the second player ever to win 20 and bat .400)

Archived