Brewer Fanatic

08/13/2006: Brewers (Ohka) @ Braves (Hudson), 12:05PM CDT

sgtcluels
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are they pitching to McCann with first base open?

Ned Yost...ugh

How about Matt Wise... ugh. What do you think Maddux told Wise? How about, "you have first base open, so be careful with this guy. We'll go after the human windmill next."

What does Wise do? He throws a changeup over the heart of the plate. And that is somehow Yost's fault?

Thanks for the clarification on the baseline thing. I was unaware.

Quote:
It sure seemed like the reason Maddux went out there was because they were going to pitch around him, and with a hitters count, it looked like Wise screwed up.

Why not just walk the guy? I know you want to trust your pitchers, but if you get to 3-1 on a pretty good hitter that you're trying to pitch around, isn't it high time for the catcher to stand up and stick his glove out?

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I know you want to trust your pitchers, but if you get to 3-1 on a pretty good hitter that you're trying to pitch around, isn't it high time for the catcher to stand up and stick his glove out?

I can buy that logic. At the very least you would hope your pitcher is smart enough not to throw the guy anything he can drive.

The next two hitters after McCann have 22+ HR's this year, its not exactly the perfect spot for an intentional walk or a sure thing that we don't give up the 2 runs regardless. You could go either way with that call but if you are going to blame someone I'd blame Wise or give props to McCann.

Quote:
Or he could have trusted Wise not to throw a meatball change up over the heart of the plate belt high and throw one out of the zone....

Are you saying that managers only call for intentional walks when they don't trust the pitcher to pitch around the hitter?

Because if you're saying that, it's a ridiculous argument.

Yes, Wise screwed up, but he shouldn't have been in a position to screw up. He either shouldn't have been pitching to that hitter, or he should have been throwing one six feet outside on purpose.

But, yeah, Wise messed up, and that sucks.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Quote:
The next two hitters after McCann have 22+ HR's this year, its not exactly the perfect spot for an intentional walk or a sure thing that we don't give up the 2 runs regardless.

It might be "six of one and half a dozen of the other", but the common sense move is to not tempt fate with McCann and take your shot at Francoeur, who would probably swing at a pitch that you rolled to the plate.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Tough one to sit through...Don't hit in the clutch early when we could have sent Hudson to the showers early. Ohka decides to walk a small village in the 3rd. Give back 3 unearned runs after getting back in the game. And I have to listen to a Braves fan rip Kolb on each and every pitch he throws all the while hoping I could return the favor when Wickman entered.

An enjoyable short vacation with the family, but 2 wins would have been a whole lot better.

Archived