Brewer Fanatic

7/13/08 Reds (Bailey) at Brewers (Sabathia): 1:05 CDT

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little worried seeing what we did against Fogg Friday night (which wasn't much) it scares me to face another pitcher with an ERA above 8. Hopefully Russ can break from his slump and hit some bombs today.

Even though he has an ERA over 8, Bailey has had a ton of hype as one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. He's yet to put it together in the majors (probably due to the Reds pushing him through the system before he was ready), but he's got good stuff. If the Brewers get shut down again today, it's not like being shut down by Glendon Rusch and Josh Fogg.

As far as the lineup goes, why is Ned giving Corey Hart a day off on the last day before the All-Star Break? Does Ned figures Corey needs a day off before sitting the entire game on the NL's bench? Why not just throw Counsell and Rivera into the lineup and announce "we're trying to get the hell out of Milwaukee by 3:00"?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm a little worried seeing what we did against Fogg Friday night (which wasn't much) it scares me to face another pitcher with an ERA above 8

I would love if the Brewers get 3 runs in 5-1/3 of Bailey. Sign me up!

And the fact that Bailey's ERA is over 8 doesn't mean that he's some terrible pitcher. The only thing an ERA like that should tell you is that he hasn't pitched enough innings this year to make his ERA representative of much.

And Hall has been "hot" and Branyan "cold", so Yost is just doing what "THE BOOK" is telling him to do. Never mind that Hall's success has been coming against LH pitchers. That consideration isn't in "THE BOOK".

I'm a little worried seeing what we did against Fogg Friday night (which wasn't much) it scares me to face another pitcher with an ERA above 8

I would love if the Brewers get 3 runs in 5-1/3 of Bailey. Sign me up!

And the fact that Bailey's ERA is over 8 doesn't mean that he's some terrible pitcher. The only thing an ERA like that should tell you is that he hasn't pitched enough innings this year to make his ERA representative of much.

That is a good point I guess Russ.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Bailey has struggled to throw strikes, that is why his numbers are rough. He has not been good this year in the majors or the minors. He is getting hit and walking guys. If he can get his location down or if the Brewers chase (which is a definite possibility) then he will have a good day.

His 4.4 ERA with a WHIP around 1.4 in AAA shows he is struggling this year.

His 4.4 ERA with a WHIP around 1.4 in AAA shows he is struggling this year.

OK, that's fair. But couple that with everything else we know about him (primarily that he's a major prospect) and what's a fair expectation for the Brewer hitters today? 3-4 runs in 5-6 IP? That's a reasonable expectation.

The good ones always stop a losing streak before it gets too long.

I'm sure Bill Schroeder believes that too.

rluz.. do you have a copy of the book of which you speak? i'm assuming it's the same one that made ned comment that gagne had really really good stuff last night. i'm going on vacation next week at a cottage in goodman, wisconsin and need some good reading material... i might try to get this book before i leave; that way i can kinda sorta understand ned.

OK, that's fair. But couple that with everything else we know about him (primarily that he's a major prospect) and what's a fair expectation for the Brewer hitters today? 3-4 runs in 5-6 IP? That's a reasonable expectation.

I think that is about right, but I would take 3-4 run over 5-6 IP against about anyone. 3 runs over 6 is decent, but the 4 runs in 5 innings is great. I am intrigued by what is wrong with Bailey this year and if it is something that is an easy fix. He was supposed better than Yo, but he just has not shown it and has regressed a lot this year. Hopefully today is not the day he finds his stuff. If he does the Reds are going to be really tough with Volquez, Cueto, Harang, and Bailey over the next few years.

No Branyan! Come on Ned.

Hall has had some good ABs with some hard hit balls vs righties lately.

Plus Branyan has cooled off as of late.

Plus Hall kills the Reds.

Archived