Brewer Fanatic

Heading to St Louis

paul253
Im thinking about taking a trip down to St. Louis for the Brewers 2 game set in late August. Has anyone ever been down there? Are tickets easy enough to get the day of the game or should I work on getting them ahead of time?

I have only been to one game there, but it was awesome. I got there about 3 hours early and I saw all the players walk to the stadium from their hotel across the street. I got Sheets' autograph and talked with Jim Powell for several minutes.

The stadium is nice and the location is nice, but downtown St. Louis can be a bit of a ghost town at times (not as much around Cardinals games though). And since they're both night games, your only options are really the various restaurants/bars scattered around the park. If you're looking for something to do during the daytime, it's easy to catch the Metrolink out of downtown and head out to Forest Park (zoo, art museum, science center; all free admission) or some decent restaurants in The Loop. You can also always go to the Arch; if so, make a point of watching the documentary about how it was built.

yeah, b19, the wife and I did all that last summer (zoo, arch, etc.) and loved it. Really made our day. We also took the ballpark tour, which was nice. Only problem we had was the humidity with the heat. Us AZ folks take a while to get used to the humidity, although we used to live in WI so we were at least prepared for it and knew how to deal with it.

Needless to say, we made several "trips" in to see the penguins at the zoo. But the long walk to and from the Metrolink station to the zoo nearly did the wife in. Didn't help that the previous day she slept in the car and felt generally "sick" from heatstroke (caused from our afternoon in Petrified Forest where she didn't apply much sunscreen). Yeah, that was a fun all-day drive from New Mexico to St. Louis. But I digress . . .

St. Louis really impressed me with the things that you can do. I'll agree that downtown was a relative ghost town during the day. We didn't really see all that many people, even at the Landing. We didn't stay out past 7 pm, though. Took the MetroLink back to our hotel by the airport and rested.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

St. Louis was a blast when we went there last year. We didn't get to see the Crew play, so we're heading back for the series after the all star break. Downtown can be a ghost town at times, but we had a blast at the game. Nice stadium, and everything that you would really need is pretty close. We had a good time at the landing, but we were only in town for 2 days, so we didn't get a chance to explore much.

I love Busch Stadium -- by far, my favorite stadium in the league, and I consider myself to be well-traveled. I think it's beautiful inside-and-out, there's much to see and do, and the fans are generally receptive. I was down there for the late-July debacle last season, and the common phrase was: "Better you guys than the Cubs." Tickets shouldn't be hard to come by -- I'm sure you'll find a scalper. The Cards will definitely sell-out every game for the rest of the year. The heat and humidity is a killer, but it's not that big of an adjustment. There are a bunch of restaurants around Busch, so eating shouldn't be a problem. I'll echo pitchleague's comments -- there's a lot to do in St. Louis.

I went to a game there last year. Had a great time even though the Brewers lost both games (a double header. I believe Parra pitched the 1st game and Coco blew the save). We went to the zoo during the day and went to the 2nd game at night. The zoo was great (free), but parking was sort of an issue. Its not all that expensive (esp. since the zoo is free), but there just isn't a whole lot of it.

If you like beer, I've been told you need to check out the Schlafly Brewery. They have a brew pub in the downtown area (though probably not in walking distance of the park). I've never been, but their beer is delicious.

http://www.schlafly.com/

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Archived