Brewer Fanatic

What are the other needs we need to make the Playoffs

1. Get rid of Mota and either bring up Pena or trade for a bullpen arm.

2. Trade for Brian Roberts while hopefully giving up Weeks.

3. Teach Mike Cameron to protect the outside of the plate with two strikes. I swear if I see one more called third strike on the black of the plate I'm gonna rip my own face off.

Brian Shouse has been brutal? He has a 1.91 ERA, and a 1.00 WHIP - I think I'll take that.

It's the 8th inning that the Brewers have to sort out, they've got the lefty, the long man, and the closer.

A good 8th inning guy would limit the significance of Riske, Gagne, etc. We're getting to the point where the starting pitchers go 6 IP almost every night, and often work into the 7th. If that trend continues, we basically just need to piece together part, or all, of one IP, then give it to the 8th inning guy and the closer.

One good late-inning option could make a major impact.

I do not want either Shouse or Stetter getting near a right handed hitter, but SHouse has been great against lefties. The biggest need I see is another bullpen arm, preferably a lefty who can get righties out as well which would allow Shouse to face far less righties hopefully none. The only other thing that I can see is a useful left handed, or switch hitting bat (e.g. Ray Durham) bat off the bench.

The Brewers would be a force if they traded for an above average leadoff hitter (Roberts) and one or two decent relievers (Rauch, Fuentes, or one of the BlueJays plethora of arms).

If this truly is going to be the year we "go for it" then Melvin needs to do what it takes to put us over the top. You know the Cubs will make a couple more moves and who knows what the Mets/Cardinals will do. One thing I do know is that there is no way guys like Mota/Gagne should be pitching in anything that resembles a close game.

Nothing. We're pretty likely to make the playoffs as is. Deadline deals are virtually always sound and fury, signifying nothing (other than a pointless loss of young talent). Most of the moves being kicked around on this subforum right now are for players that would either be prohibitively expensive (given the modest improvement they represent over a third of a season), or for players that only look like improvements if you think that the best way to project performance for the remainder of the season is simply to look at this year's partial season stats.

We already got the crown jewel of the available players, a month early, for the best prospect in the system. Be content with that, lest you get what you asked for in the form of Linebrink trade v. II (this time featuring Mat Gamel!).

Archived