Brewer Fanatic

What in the Heck Happened to Carlos Marmol?

lcbj68c
  • 2 weeks later...
I was listening to Lou talk about Marmol today and it dawned on me that it sounds a little bit like he's turning into Derrick Turnbow. He doesn't throw quite as hard, but he has ood fastball, and a devastating breaking ball that he currently can't seem to throw for strikes. The reslut has been a tendancy to try to overthrow his pitches and is consequently throwing even fewer strikes, is leaving bulls up in the zone, etc. Boy, one can only hope.

Turnbow was walking a lot more guys than Marmol was. Marmol only has 29 BB's in 55 innings this year, and almost a 3 to 1 K/BB ratio. I wouldn't make the Turnbow comparisons until we start seeing a lot more meltdowns and a walk per inning.

A 1.06 WHIP is also nothing to be ashamed of.

Turnbow was walking a lot more guys than Marmol was. Marmol only has 29 BB's in 55 innings this year, and almost a 3 to 1 K/BB ratio. I wouldn't make the Turnbow comparisons until we start seeing a lot more meltdowns and a walk per inning.

I didn't say he was Turnbow, I said it sounded like he may be turning into Turnbow. No doubt his overall numbers are still quite good. However since he started struggling around the middle of June, they aren't very good. Over the past 5 weeks or so he has 12.2 IP w/ 12 H, 14 ER, 14 BB, 12K, 9.95 ERA, 2.21 WHIP. If those aren't Turnbow numbers, I don't know what are.

Now, obviously a good chance he'll turn it around, but his performance the last couple months is not at all unlike what happened to Turnbow toward the end of last year. Actually, there is a difference...Turnbow didn't give up HR's. Marmol has.

The interesting part to me is that it appears to be related to Marmol's frequent use and/or overuse. It's not like people haven't been pointing to this kind of negative impact from said usage from relatively early in the season. Much like last season, where Marmol was practically a different pitcher in the 2nd half.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Turnbow had 24 BB in 67.1 IP in 2005 and a 1.08 WHIP. 29 BB in 55 IP is still very high, that is 4.7 BB/9. As the league realizes Marmol struggles to throw strikes his BB's will go up more and more. I'm not saying he is a cabon copy of Turnbow but the comparisons are pretty fair. He has not shown he can control his pitches over a full season yet and it is going to cause him problems at times.

Archived