Brewer Fanatic

Salome is OK

OK guys I went to see Angel for a few games and I can tell you he is a real life top prospect. Here is the scoop.... Forget the "bad defense" stuff, he is solid. In the few games I saw he blocked at least six ball with runners on base, he was as I have said in the past like a cat. He didn't have even one attempted stolen base against so it was hard to tell but his throw downs to 2B were fine. He looks solid back there, he calls a great game and has a great rapport with the pitchers and his team mates. He is a real leader as he has always been. He made a great block of the plate and caught a pop up at the fence with the bases loaded, a very tough ball that was tailing and hugging the screen.

His hitting is off the charts. He had 2 hits, 3 hits and 3 hits and the middle game he was rubbed of another. There are a few things I would like to change in his approach at the plate but we'll see what happens by season's end. He usually makes adjustments real well but seemed to be making changes on the slide for no apparent reason, except it was hot as hell and he said he was cramping up a lot.

Angel could play in the show right now and I sure hope he gets the call up. A little more seasoning at AA won't hurt, but he's fine. Really, forget the rumors or what people say, he is a SOLID backstop and talking to coaches they fell the same way. You do have a stud.

And for the record, Gamel is a beast he can hit right now in the major leagues, he doesn't miss on any swing and crushes every ball, even his outs. I'm not sure if he has a clue what he's doing but it sure is working and he is a true star, hold on to him.

The bottom line, Angel is OK and Gamel is legit.

All Money talked about that day was his game calling. Said he was very gifted defensively, just raw.

The bat plays. If he hits like that next year in AAA, he might get moved just to get his offense in the bigs if his catching is not ready. The irony there is, a 5-7 guy really is not "built" to play anywhere but catcher...though if he hits, 2B, 3B, or OF are all possible (though it's tough to imagine him being able to learn 2B quicker than C).

Angel is not your typical 5'7 guy. He weighs 205 and is built like a tank. I have some pictures from Chattanooga where he was playing, but I don't know how to attach them to this site. He is a total freak with about 4% body fat, and a great athlete, he needs not have to move, he'll be a mini-Pudge. His arm is too strong to move him to 2b and I don't see him at 3B either. leave him where he is, except his career might be a little shorter (excuse the pun.) "Coach"

We've always known he has good tools. Unfortunately, he's still 20/93 at throwing out runners and has 9 passed balls. Thanks for the first-hand report though; I'm glad had and Gamel look as fearsome at the plate in real life as they do in the box scores.

Coach did you discuss the running situation with Angel at all? A couple of weeks ago a team swiped 9 of 10 bags in 2 days off of him. I know the pitchers have a responsibility there as well, but something has to be going on as his percentage is even close to matching to his tools.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

No , I didn't get a chance to discuss the running game with him at all, but it does look like he rushes a bit even in his throws to 2b between innings. I just wonder if his foot (subconsciously) is effecting his throwing as one coach suggested. Angel said he is fine. His releases seemed a little high though. I do know that he has once said how the pitchers are real slow to the plate, but with his arm that should not be a factor. Nobody ran on him so it was hard to actually see anything. Passed balls? A lot of that is subjective. He blocks real well, as well as anyone I've seen in awhile, so we'll have to see what happens when he gets moved up and the pitchers have better command. That would be a better test. His percentage will get better too, he has to "trust his stuff" (his arm.) He'll be fine, believe me. "Coach"

Coach did you discuss the running situation with Angel at all? A couple of weeks ago a team swiped 9 of 10 bags in 2 days off of him. I know the pitchers have a responsibility there as well, but something has to be going on as his percentage is even close to matching to his tools.

And it was real tough to blame trhe pitchers in that series. Carolina was 0-1 in steals in 2 games against Carlos Corporan, who is a legit defensive catcher. Salome has a rocket arm, but his slow feet give him poor pop times. Foot quickness is the most underrated part of a catchers throwing, with Jason Kendall being the perfect example of the feet being more important than the arm. Salome is a worker, so hopefully he can continue to work on his foot quickness and become a tollerable catcher. It might behove him to change his weightlifting regimine to streamline his body and add quickness and flexibility.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I for one would love to see Angel up with the Brewer's in a Rivera mold next year just so he can have a year to work with Kendall. Kendall isn't the greatest hitter for sure, but it has been a pleasure to watch that man catch this year. He is in complete control of the game and is really having a great defensive year. I know Jason's Dad did some great work with him over the winter to improve his percentage.....Coach talk Angel into making that phone call to Jason to see if Pops would be willing to teach him some things!

I for one would love to see Angel up with the Brewer's in a Rivera mold next year just so he can have a year to work with Kendall. Kendall isn't the greatest hitter for sure, but it has been a pleasure to watch that man catch this year. He is in complete control of the game and is really having a great defensive year. I know Jason's Dad did some great work with him over the winter to improve his percentage.....Coach talk Angel into making that phone call to Jason to see if Pops would be willing to teach him some things!

For sure! This would be a great chance for Salome to learn from one of the best. I don't see this happening though....

its a tough call whether to bring him up as backup to Kendall next year. Clearly Kendall, even with a weak bat, does so much behind the plate, that you got to keep him. The way he plays makes it seem like he would make a perfect coach. Angel isnt ready defensively so, he could learn from JK and provide a great pinch hit bat. On the other hand, keeping his bat playing in spot duty might hinder his offense..

I wish you guys would stop saying his defense is sub par. Go see him then say it. If his throwing (runners out) percentage is low that's a different story, but knowing how he works and how much pride he takes in his game it will get better, again as he moves up the pitchers will hold runners better and Angel will mature as well. He has the cannon he needs to get more confidence that his foot is OK and trust his arm. I'm more concerned with his weight shift and getting onto his front foot too early as a hitter as I am about his defense!!! By the way Jean Carlos Rodriguez our catcher who got drafted this June by the Phillies, I think is 1-2 in throwing runners out, and he loves to throw from his knees.

I wish you guys would stop saying his defense is sub par. Go see him then say it. If his throwing (runners out) percentage is low that's a different story, but knowing how he works and how much pride he takes in his game it will get better, again as he moves up the pitchers will hold runners better and Angel will mature as well.
I hope someday we can truthfully write that. However, his high passed ball totals and poor pop times to 2nd are preventing that. You constantly blame the pitchers, which is completely unfair to them when you see that Carlos Corporan hasn't had any problems with the same pitchers. Salome's poor thrown-out % is tied directly to his poor pop times, tough to blame those on the pitchers.

I do appreciate your insight coach, and hope to hear more from you in the future. congrats on getting another player drafted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Do you know what "pop times are?" There probably isn't a better arm in pro ball than Salome on "pop times" He was off the charts in HS under 1.7. It's not his "pop times" it's a lot of other things, and nobody ever blamed the pitchers. I said pitchers get better at the higher levels on holding runners on. Also, how many games did Corporan play against games Salome played? Angel will be a good catcher. I used to read here that he was a "bad" defensive " catcher now it's only his throwing. It's like a pitcher who throws 98 but walks a lot of batters. The gift is the arm, fixing the other stuff is easy. You cant teach a 81 MPH pitcher to blow people away, but you can fix a catcher with poor release or footwork to throw more accurately. Go see him play a few games, come back and let me know what you think!!!! I'm off to the Regionals for our summer team in a few days, then the WS where we were 3rd in the Nation last year, then I'm off Overseas to coach, so to all, have a good summer. I'll try to keep posted and watching!!! "Coach"

You do understand why we are still a little skeptical though Coach, right? Its obviously great to hear how confident you are in him, and I'm sure it gets every one of us excited to hear it. But with the stats still not backing up everything your saying, we have to watch for a little bias in your thoughts. We know he has the tools though.

We're all rooting for him, lets hope its very soon that he's mashing up at the big leagues and using that gun to shut down opposing teams' running games.

Coach, as always I value your insight.

POP times have as much to do with the transfer from the glove to the hand as much as they do one's actual arm strength. A few weeks ago I heard from someone that had a chance to see Salome and talk with some of the Brewers coaches/roving instructors and he confirmed that there's nothing wrong with his arm strength, as we have known for a long time that he possesses a cannon, but he is having some difficulty with the transfer, which does in fact slow his POP times. You already confirmed that with your comment about the poor release and footwork, as it does sound to be more mechanical than anything else.

I hope you don't take any part of this conversation as a slam on your or Salome. He remains one of the faves around these parts, and I think his status in the organization is well reflected by the Power 50 (I'm pretty sure we have had Salome ranked higher than BA has throughout his minor league career). We as fans of course, especially here, talk about any and everything, and we just want to see Salome be as finished as a prospect as possible by the time he reaches the big leagues. Without a doubt, the guy can hit and he has the tools to catch, and I've yet to see a prospect that doesn't have some aspect of their game to improve upon.

Good luck on the coaching circuit this summer, and safe travels.

I also agree that Salome shouldn't back up Kendall next year. He needs to play everyday.

In case you haven't see it yet look at Baseball America page 34 from this week. Reid Nichols talks a little about angel and his improvement etc. I'm not biased, just honest. He needs work but I know he'll be a great defensive catcher that's for sure. See You soon. "Coach"

Archived