Brewer Fanatic

Paul DePodesta: Compensation picks, the trade deadline and what the Padres might do

This contains great information for those who don't understand how comp picks work, or for those with an eye on a possible deal with San Diego. I'll put this in the trade rumors forum, but I almost think it should be pinned at the top of several forums, given the number of questions we get on these topics.

Great stuff, from an insider. http://itmightbedangerous.blogspot.com/2008/07/verdict-is-in.html

At the conclusion of the season every free agent will be ranked, and only the Type A and Type B free agents carry any kind of compensation with them. This is roughly the top 30% of players (overall, not just free agents) in terms of performance both on a one-year and multi-year look. For the Club to receive any compensation a few things have to happen:

1) The Club must offer the player arbitration (sometimes a risky proposition)
2) The Player must reject the offer of arbitration
3) The Player must sign a Major League contract with another organization

I love this one...

The Volume Myth

I have to address this one, because we always joke about it internally. Overwhelming teams with volume is not a recipe for bringing back quality players. Every team out there is smart enough to know that four times zero is still zero: "But what if we add this 4A guy AND this marginal prospect? No? Well then... what if we were to add this long reliever as well?" :-) It takes quality, not quantity, to get quality.

I think quantity works when one team clearly has organizational needs, as the Brewers did in the Sexson deal. But it makese sense that if you are just offering 4A guys that don't improve the other's teams quality or depth, they aren't going to give you anything for it.

I agree with volume myth to an extent, but I think its a little harsh. (See Richie Sexson)
At the time, the players that the Brewers received were perceived to be of decent quality.

Craig Counsell: Meh. What you saw was what you got

Junior Spivey: At the time, was a high caliber player. Played in an all-star game prior to the trade (Quality)

Chad Moeller: At the time, known to be an offensive catcher (imagine that)

Lyle Overbay: Good, solid player (Quality)

Chris Capuano: Relatively unknown, turned in a couple of great seasons for the Brewers

Jorge De La Rosa: At the time, he was consider to be the corner-stone of the trade. (Quality)

I will add that Moeller was a clear upgrade to our pathetic catching situation and the unquestioned top catcher for us. Overbay and Spivey were two more obvious starters and Cappy, while being unknown, was a lefty still pegged as a starting pitcher in the majors for somebody. And yes, De La Rosa was to be the jewel of the trade. Counsell was just the hometown here but yet a great depth and team guy.

Archived