Brewer Fanatic

CC willing to stay long-term?

Nottso

Yesterday I stopped at a local watering hole for a burger and iced tea, and they had ESPN on the big tv. No sound, but closed captioning was on. Sadly, it looked like a monkey on crack was doing the typing, making it somewhat difficult to follow. Anyways, they had a bunch of stuff on CC, and at one point he appeared to say something like "I'm very excited to be here, and it's important that I be somewhere nice to raise my kids. We'll see what happens in the off-season."

As I say, it was really hard to follow. T&^he c losedcapt*#(ion **in4g lo oked some fgdsa thi nglik e thi232s.

Did anyone else catch it, and was it anything like I perceived it to be?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's possible, but I'm sure to stay he'd still want a contract similar to Santana's. I personally think it's worth the Brewers doing that, and signing Sheets, largely because premium starters are so hard to find, while we seem quite good at cranking out cheap bats.

From what I took out of the interview he didn't really say much about (if anything) staying in Milwaukee. He said this off season he was going to look for the best combination for him his family and [his bank account]. He didn't say that he'd like to stay in Milwaukee, really nothing of the sorts IMO.

I saw that on ESPN.com. It just sounds like he is saying nice things about Milwaukee, more than him saying he'd like to say.

Here is the video from ESPN.

Didn't Lee and CoCo both say they wanted to stay? I think we have an outside chance, depends if Mark A is willing to break open the bank. We have 10m in Gagne (Obviously won't sign again unless he becomes god), 12 in Sheets and 11 in CC. So we could possibly re-tie up all that money in one of them. That if we can get Torress or another closer cheap-ish. We can also move JJ if he gets to expensive and bring up Escobar.

Yeah, CoCo even intimated he might "owe" the Brewers for putting him back in the closer role and letting him succeed. Once the bidding got under way he gladly went for the money even though it came from a less competitive team.

If Sheets is currently at $12, and Sabathia is at $11, then Gagne's $10 million could be divided into some reasonable salaries.

Give Sheets $15 million/year over five years, and Sabathia $18 million/year over six years.

The money from Mota and Turnbow could then be used to give Hart and Hardy some pretty decent long-term deals.

By my count the Yankees will have $85+ million off the books at the end of the season. Giambi, Abreau, Pettitte, Pavano, Mussina, Hawkins, Farnsworth, and Betemit are only signed through this season. There are a few options in there they can renew, but in all, they'll have a ton of cash. Plus a new stadium.....

There is no way that CC is staying. He will go where the most money is and that most likely is the Yankees. They have tons of money coming off the books and will almost defintely offer 20 mil a yr for 6 or 7 years. Sheets on the other hand might be willing to stay if we make a competitive offer because he seems to love his teammates and being the ace of the team. With all the money we have coming off the books I dont see any reason why we cant pay Sheets up to 18 mil a yr for 5 years.

Would he like to stay...yeah, why not...he seems pretty happy right now. He was happy in Cleveland too.

He would also have to take a huge pay cut to do it...maybe $40-50mm over the life of the contract. I won't blame him one bit for getting the big dough. He'll be in pinstripes next year.

If you thought the Yankees threw crazy money around in the past, just wait for this off-season. We like to have this romantic idea that players would want to stay here and take a home town discount to do so. That's just not reality. Heck, I could see the Yankees throwing $25MM at both CC and Sheets. If they don't go after one of them, Boston will. Or the Cubs, Phillies, Mets, god knows who else. As much as I would love to have one or both of them, if the bidding war gets ridiculous (and it will) it's better to walk away. $25MM would be 1/4 of the total payroll for one player, and that doesn't make sense. Not when you're trying to extend Hart, Hardy, and others. In fact, I rather extend Parra and Gallardo than pay $25MM for anybody. I think you could make a salary like that work for the next year or two, but after that you have a lot of young talent to sign.

I think you have to assume they will both be gone. Gallardo, Parra, Suppan, Bush is not bad. They just need a guy who can be a borderline #1/#2 for $17MM or so. And maybe trade for another guy would be an improvement over Suppan.

Thankfully, the Yankees will be one of the 15 best teams, and we will gladly take their #1 pick.
I'm not completely familiar with the whole draft pick compensation thing. How would it work if the Yankees got bot Sabathia and Sheets? (I know that's a lot of money to spend...but it is the Yankees).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I really don't get why people always refer to the money "coming off the books" in the off-season. There's no doubt we could afford to sign one of them and make it work next year, the problem is in years 3, 4, 5, etc. It will be hard to keep a competitive roster unless we have about half of our roster as pre arby guys in those years.

Archived