Brewer Fanatic

The "I feel kind of bad for former Brewers" Thread

Kurt

Geoff Jenkins: I really wanted Jenkins to do decent with the Phils and now I see that he is batting .237 with the lowest OPS of his career.

Richie Sexson: He was one of the only bright spots for some horrible Brewer's teams He was released this week after being monumentally bad the last two years.

Scotty Po: while he had some big hits this week against the crew, his carrer is pretty much finished.

Brady Clark: Who would have thought, a little over 100 more ABs post Brewer.

Corey Koskie: Nuff Said. Hope he is better.

On the other side of the coin, it felt great to destroy De La Rosa yesterday and it was also sweet to hit the deciding run off Bennet earlier this year against the Braves.

And finnaly: That famous Rule 5 draft pick, Enrique Cruz had 71 ABs for the Brewers in 2003, hitting .077. Four years later he would have his (likely) last MLB AB in 2007 against the Brewers, going 0-1 with a lazy fly ball out to Corey Hart. He also make an error. If you want to look how far we have come since 2003, just look to the fact that Enrique Cruz was on our active roster for the entire year and actually started 7 games.

I feel bad for Jenks too, but a .237 average would look pretty good for Cameron right about now.

Except that Cameron is ahead of Jenkins in almost every other statistical category and missed a whole month to start the season. Geoff is having a pretty horrible year.

You have to wonder how many more years Jenkins has in him at this point. It seems like he is regressing pretty quickly. Just shows that the Brewers were smart to not re-sign him after last year. It's just too bad he wasn't able to be part of some better Brewers teams. You can basically say the same for Sexson. Amazing that just a few years ago, he was by far the best player the Brewers had, now he was just released by the worst team in the AL.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

it's funny, i remember thinking in the early 2000's that the brewers had really bad luck with players leaving...not the case anymore...nice to see the team get the full value of a player for once..

Loretta had an MPV caliber season one year with the Padres. He's had a solid career and always been one of my favorite players, fundamentally sound, smart, gets on base. They tried their best to ruin his career in 2002, something I will never understand, but he bounced back and had 2 career years in San Diego.

I don't feel sorry for Brady Clark or Pods. I've always believed the minors are full of useful guys like them who deserve a shot. Melvin gave them a chance and they made the most of their talents. I always look at guys like these as having great stories to tell the grandkids, and I hope they invested well during their playing years. I think of Joe Dillon in the same way.

Jenkins is probably done. Sexson has a road split that's not far off from his career numbers. Put him in a more hitter friendly park and he may enjoy a bit of a rennaissance.

On the other side of the coin, it felt great to destroy De La Rosa yesterday

Remember how angry that guy with the "King Jorge" avatar got when he got traded for Graffy? Graffanino had a solid if unassuming stint with the Brewers; I have to think we got maximum value for DLR

Bad Chad. I always felt bad for Moeller. He seemed like a nice guy.

It's ok though... now he gets to be the 3rd C for the Yankees. Paid to do next to nothing! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't feel badly for Scotty Po. He was a World Series hero and a former All-Star (albeit a Final Vote winner). He certainly had his time in the sun. You have to feel horrible for Koskie -- nobody deserves what happened to him.

I'll admit: I kinda felt badly for JDLR yesterday. He's never able to put it all together, and when he can't, he gets absolutely smoked. I hope he finds a steady job.

I have a huge amount of respect for Loretta. He got a pretty raw deal in Milwaukee. The people in charge at the time that be seemed to be the only ones who didn't realize he was one of their top players. When he left he didn't really rip the team or say anything negative. A true professional and a class act all around.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Brewers probably killed any chance of a career Cruz could have had by hanging onto him for the full year like they did while not giving him any real playing time.

I'm sure there's some stipulation in the collective bargaining agreement or the individual player contracts to prevent this from happening, but I could see some day a player suing a team over lost future wages or something over this exact same type of situation.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Brewers probably killed any chance of a career Cruz could have had by hanging onto him for the full year like they did while not giving him any real playing time.

I'm sure there's some stipulation in the collective bargaining agreement or the individual player contracts to prevent this from happening, but I could see some day a player suing a team over lost future wages or something over this exact same type of situation.

Can you provide a link? I'm not sure that's the case. The whole point of making the team keep the player on the ML roster for the whole year is to provide a disincentive for a team stashing a player, but if the team knows it's going to stink, that's not much of a disadvantage.

Re the thread: I loved Cirillo, and felt bad that he couldn't find success outside Milwaukee. Sure, he made nice cash, but money doesn't make up for the dread of batting .205. Looking at his career, I didn't know that he had two seasons with over .400 OBP!

• 3 weeks later...

Valerio de los Santos was a very solid relief pitcher for six Brewer teams, but surprisingly fell apart after leaving, with a ERA over 6 over 37 innings for 3 different teams from 2003-2005. Even more surprising is that he's still around and was called up to make a spot start for the Rockies tonight. (The Rockies lead the league in former Brewer pitchers- also Rusch, Vizcaino, DelaRosa, Capellan- all of which had their best years with the Brewers.)

Tonight, de los Santos gave up only 2 runs and 2 hits, but walked 6 in only 4 innings.

Archived